+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP - Open Work Permit - Waiting Time

PlatypusZ

Mar 13, 2020
Hello,
I am currently in Ontario with an open work permit (PGWP), which was approved in November. I started working full time mid-february and am about to go apply to receive OHIP, does anyone know if the waiting time starts when I received the work permit (and then I'd have OHIP very soon), or when I started working full-time, or when I apply to receive OHIP?
Thank you.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I am currently in Ontario with an open work permit (PGWP), which was approved in November. I started working full time mid-february and am about to go apply to receive OHIP, does anyone know if the waiting time starts when I received the work permit (and then I'd have OHIP very soon), or when I started working full-time, or when I apply to receive OHIP?
Thank you.
When you apply. You will need to provide a letter from your employer indicating you will be employed full-time for at least the next 6 months.

PlatypusZ

Mar 13, 2020
Thanks, I have the letter, I just need to actually go to a ServiceOntario centre and hope that it is less awful than a grocery store.... This is a perfect time to not have much of a health insurance (I have one, but it only covers situations in which I am basically dying).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, I have the letter, I just need to actually go to a ServiceOntario centre and hope that it is less awful than a grocery store.... This is a perfect time to not have much of a health insurance (I have one, but it only covers situations in which I am basically dying).
Would argue to have the 3 month wait time start on the first day of full-time employment.