Jan 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
20-04-2017
Hi All,

My wife and I both have PR from last year, but we'll move to Ontario only in 2-3 months.
I saw that the 3 months waiting period is waived, but their website still states that I have to be in Ontario for 153 days BEFORE applying, so that means I need a private insurance for those 5 months?
Does anyone understand the 153 days?
Thanks!

"To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home"
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-3

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

My wife and I both have PR from last year, but we'll move to Ontario only in 2-3 months.
I saw that the 3 months waiting period is waived, but their website still states that I have to be in Ontario for 153 days BEFORE applying, so that means I need a private insurance for those 5 months?
Does anyone understand the 153 days?
Thanks!

"To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home"
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-3
You have to be in a position where you will meet the RO for OHIP or else you should not apply for OHIP. That is why you didn’t qualify to apply during your short landing. You don’t need to be in Ontario for 153 before applying. If you should be meeting the 3 requirements to meet the RO for OHIP you can apply right away as long as the 3 month conditions is still waived. If you don’t end up meeting the RO you can be asked to pay back any services you used.