+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP - New Permanent Resident but have been a Intl. student for 3 years

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
I have lived in Ontario as an International student since 2018. I received my permanent residency a week ago and was also considering visiting home as I have not been able to visit family in 3 years.

However, as I am in the process of applying for OHIP, I just noted the fact that I have to:
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
Does this apply to me even though I have lived as an international student in Ontario since 2018? Or do the 153 days began after establishing permanent residency?

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
I went through this process, and the lady explained me it's 153 days regardless of your status. I was a visitor waiting for my PR, and I got my health card.

And be careful when you fill the document, when it says "when did you take up permanent resident in Ontario"...that has nothing to do with your PR lol It's when did you choose Ontario as a province (= when did you move there and live there). It's a tricky question, I made two times the same mistake when I was at serviceontario lol

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have lived in Ontario as an International student since 2018. I received my permanent residency a week ago and was also considering visiting home as I have not been able to visit family in 3 years.

However, as I am in the process of applying for OHIP, I just noted the fact that I have to:
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
Does this apply to me even though I have lived as an international student in Ontario since 2018? Or do the 153 days began after establishing permanent residency?
yes you must be in Ontario for 153 days within the first 183 days based on when you received OHIP.