+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP new immigrant

boburakbarov

Aug 22, 2021
We landed as a family in Oct 2020 and returned back home after staying 1 month in Toronto. We are both PR holders. Now my wife is going back to Toronto in Sep 12, 2021 and she will be 4 months pregnant at that time. Due date for her is somewhere early Feb 2022. She will apply for OHIP somewhere around 15 Sep 2021. I am confused where it says one has to be there for 5 months to qualify for OHIP and 3 months waiting period.

So, in our case, if my wife applies for OHIP on 15 Sep 2021 will she get the OHIP coverage on 15 Dec 2021 (3 months) or 15 Feb 2022 (around 150 days)?
If the due date is early Feb 2022, do we have a chance we will have our OHIP by that time?

Reactions: nigorausmonova

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
We landed as a family in Oct 2020 and returned back home after staying 1 month in Toronto. We are both PR holders. Now my wife is going back to Toronto in Sep 12, 2021 and she will be 4 months pregnant at that time. Due date for her is somewhere early Feb 2022. She will apply for OHIP somewhere around 15 Sep 2021. I am confused where it says one has to be there for 5 months to qualify for OHIP and 3 months waiting period.

So, in our case, if my wife applies for OHIP on 15 Sep 2021 will she get the OHIP coverage on 15 Dec 2021 (3 months) or 15 Feb 2022 (around 150 days)?
If the due date is early Feb 2022, do we have a chance we will have our OHIP by that time?
You do not have to be in Ontario for 5 months to qualify. When you apply, you are basically commiting to reside in Ontario at least 5 months out of the next 6 months AFTER you apply. otherwise you may have to pay for any services you used.
Your wife can apply for coverage as soon as she has the required documents which are listed on the website. There is currently no waiting period so coverage would begin the day her application is accepted, which would be sometime in September if she has the required documents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Would add that she is also committing to remain over 6 months that year. When she comes to Canada you also become a tax resident. Your baby should also meet the residency requirements to receive care although the government is a bit more flexible if babies need to change provinces.

Last edited:
Reactions: boburakbarov

bonjourToto

Nov 11, 2021
You do not have to be in Ontario for 5 months to qualify. When you apply, you are basically commiting to reside in Ontario at least 5 months out of the next 6 months AFTER you apply. otherwise you may have to pay for any services you used.
Your wife can apply for coverage as soon as she has the required documents which are listed on the website. There is currently no waiting period so coverage would begin the day her application is accepted, which would be sometime in September if she has the required documents.
Wow!
Then the count of the 5 months can be seen as a kind of a promise?
Example: I land in Ontario on July 1st 2021, and I promise that I will make Ontario my main residence for years, then I can apply for OHIP at the same day July 1st 2021?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wow!
Then the count of the 5 months can be seen as a kind of a promise?
Example: I land in Ontario on July 1st 2021, and I promise that I will make Ontario my main residence for years, then I can apply for OHIP at the same day July 1st 2021?
Yes you commit to remain in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and and the next 6 out of 12 months and make Ontario your permanent home. If you don’t you can be asked to pay back any services you receive.

chaalubaba

Apr 30, 2019
Yes you commit to remain in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and and the next 6 out of 12 months and make Ontario your permanent home. If you don’t you can be asked to pay back any services you receive.
I m planning to do my parents landing in middle of January (fingers cross, new variants don't change things). If I open bank account on their first day, have their Passport and landing letter, can I apply for their OHIP and they will get OHIP coverage immediately? Or they have to wait until 3 months, in that case I need to purchase visitors insurance for 3 months? any help is appreciated. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I m planning to do my parents landing in middle of January (fingers cross, new variants don't change things). If I open bank account on their first day, have their Passport and landing letter, can I apply for their OHIP and they will get OHIP coverage immediately? Or they have to wait until 3 months, in that case I need to purchase visitors insurance for 3 months? any help is appreciated. Thanks
Impossible to say. You’ll need to look up whether the 3 month wait period has been reinstated when they land.

Reactions: chaalubaba