+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP - how do you receive the cards?

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Hi all, just a simple question - after application how do we receive OHIP cards, on the spot of application or through mails to the address you provide? Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you landed? No point in applying right away. Find an home then apply for your OHIP card with proof of landing. No matter when you apply in the first 3 months the start date is the same.

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Have you landed? No point in applying right away. Find an home then apply for your OHIP card with proof of landing. No matter when you apply in the first 3 months the start date is the same.
Thanks for the reply! I had already landed. The problem I have is that I might need to switch from place to place for a couple of months. Just wondering how to get the OHIP card once I apply :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Should clarify have you permanently moved to Canada. There are residency requirement associated with receiving healthcare in each province. Like I said there is no point signing up for OHIP until you have a permanent residence. Unless you moved to Canada permanently in the past 2 weeks you should not have valid OHIP cards. Once you arrive again you should call or go into Service Ontario and explain that you didn't realize that there was a residency requirement and need to reapply for OHIP so you aren't committing healthcare fraud. Then they will start your 3 month wait period again.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
  • are a clergy member who can legally stay in Canada and is ministering full time in Ontario for at least six months

Reactions: dannyhcean

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Should clarify have you permanently moved to Canada. There are residency requirement associated with receiving healthcare in each province. Like I said there is no point signing up for OHIP until you have a permanent residence. Unless you moved to Canada permanently in the past 2 weeks you should not have valid OHIP cards. Once you arrive again you should call or go into Service Ontario and explain that you didn't realize that there was a residency requirement and need to reapply for OHIP so you aren't committing healthcare fraud. Then they will start your 3 month wait period again.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
  • are a clergy member who can legally stay in Canada and is ministering full time in Ontario for at least six months
Thanks again for all the details! It's very helpful. On the other hand, for people who need to frequently move from place to place but definitely will stay in the province of Ontario, and plans to stay here permanently, should they apply for OHIP, provided that they meet all of these criteria? That's a bit extreme but might happen to some people. I guess the question could be boiled down to how ' primary home' or 'permanent address' is defined?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks again for all the details! It's very helpful. On the other hand, for people who need to frequently move from place to place but definitely will stay in the province of Ontario, and plans to stay here permanently, should they apply for OHIP, provided that they meet all of these criteria? That's a bit extreme but might happen to some people. I guess the question could be boiled down to how ' primary home' or 'permanent address' is defined?
You did a soft landing and are not moving from place to place. You applied for OHIP under false pretences that you were permanently moving to Canada (Ontario). People who are constantly travelling should carry private travel insurance. If you use your OHIP card without being in the country for 3 months you are committing health insurance fraud.

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
You did a soft landing and are not moving from place to place. You applied for OHIP under false pretences that you were permanently moving to Canada (Ontario). People who are constantly travelling should carry private travel insurance. If you use your OHIP card without being in the country for 3 months you are committing health insurance fraud.
Sorry I am really not sure if I understand what you are referring to.

Hypothetically, suppose someone lands in Toronto, becomes PR, decides to live in Ontario, but could not secure a permanent residence due to whatever reason (affordability, lack of credit history, etc.). Still, the person hangs on and lives from place to place (within the province) and never leaves. Should this person apply to OHIP? If yes, when should he/she apply?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sorry I am really not sure if I understand what you are referring to.

Hypothetically, suppose someone lands in Toronto, becomes PR, decides to live in Ontario, but could not secure a permanent residence due to whatever reason (affordability, lack of credit history, etc.). Still, the person hangs on and lives from place to place (within the province) and never leaves. Should this person apply to OHIP? If yes, when should he/she apply?
Yes. You are eligible for OHIP if you are staying within Ontario. If you don't have lease documents then try other documents from below list. Many new immigrants live in temp accommodations like AirBnb for first few months. You are not alone.

https://settlement.org/ontario/health/ohip-and-health-insurance/health-ohip-card/what-documents-do-i-need-to-apply-for-a-health-card-ohip/

Reactions: dannyhcean

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The issue is that you didn't spend all your time moving around Ontario based on your previous posts.

"My wife and I landed in Toronto in late June 2018 and became PRs. We left Canada in early August 2018 back to Asia to prepare for our 'serious move'. Because we did not establish residency we did not apply for OHIP during that time.
Now we are in Asia and just found out that my wife is pregnant. Due day in early July 2019. We want to return to Toronto in either February/March of 2019, and establish residence there. I know that we will have a three-month waiting period (in our case, March/April/May or even June, if I understand correctly). Because my wife might go into labor in July 2019, will she be covered by OHIP, provided that we apply right away after the three-month period?

Thanks for any insights!"

Reactions: YVR123

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
The issue is that you didn't spend all your time moving around Ontario based on your previous posts.

"My wife and I landed in Toronto in late June 2018 and became PRs. We left Canada in early August 2018 back to Asia to prepare for our 'serious move'. Because we did not establish residency we did not apply for OHIP during that time.
Now we are in Asia and just found out that my wife is pregnant. Due day in early July 2019. We want to return to Toronto in either February/March of 2019, and establish residence there. I know that we will have a three-month waiting period (in our case, March/April/May or even June, if I understand correctly). Because my wife might go into labor in July 2019, will she be covered by OHIP, provided that we apply right away after the three-month period?

Thanks for any insights!"
Okay, let me clarify something before you accuse me of trying to commit insurance fraud. Between the time of that post and now I had already come back to Toronto in late November by myself. My wife is still in Asia so this has nothing to do with her pregnancy. I am just asking for my own OHIP insurance. What I mentioned in that post 'Return to Toronto in either Feb/Mar' I meant I would fly back to Asia for a couple of days just to accompany her on the flights over to Canada together.

Now I am living in temp residence and plan to do so in the next few months. As the last reply mentioned, many people who came to Canada as PRs could not secure a permanent accommodation because of various reasons. Most of us don't plan to leave Ontario anytime soon. Now let's go back to the original yet very simple question, should I apply for OHIP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Okay, let me clarify something before you accuse me of trying to commit insurance fraud. Between the time of that post and now I had already come back to Toronto in late November by myself. My wife is still in Asia so this has nothing to do with her pregnancy. I am just asking for my own OHIP insurance. What I mentioned in that post 'Return to Toronto in either Feb/Mar' I meant I would fly back to Asia for a couple of days just to accompany her on the flights over to Canada together.

Now I am living in temp residence and plan to do so in the next few months. As the last reply mentioned, many people who came to Canada as PRs could not secure a permanent accommodation because of various reasons. Most of us don't plan to leave Ontario anytime soon. Now let's go back to the original yet very simple question, should I apply for OHIP?
You can apply for yourself based on you November if you don't intend to be gone for over a month in the next 6 months a this point. The real issue remains that your won't qualify until close to her delivery date. As I previously mentioned in another of your posts you have 3 months to apply and your approval date will remain the same. Best to wait until you have secured permanent accommodations.

Last edited:

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016

yes, and you can rent a UPS box for 3 months where OHIP health-cards would be delivered.

New immigrants use UPS boxes for PR card delivery/bank statements to claim OHIP, hence I guess OHIP card shdnt be any different.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes, and you can rent a UPS box for 3 months where OHIP health-cards would be delivered.

New immigrants use UPS boxes for PR card delivery/bank statements to claim OHIP, hence I guess OHIP card shdnt be any different.
OHIP needs to have your permanent home address and should be updated when you move. Most immigrants who move to Ontario permanently should have a permanent address within 3 months.

Reactions: Elbagurl

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
OHIP needs to have your permanent home address and should be updated when you move. Most immigrants who move to Ontario permanently should have a permanent address within 3 months.
Ideally yes, ppl shd have permanent address.

But everyone is not able to secure a job quickly and hence moving from airbnb to airbnb (upto 6-7 months).

For them UPS box is a life-saver because at-least OHIP is taken care of while struggle for job continues.