+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP for U S born kids living in Ontario since 2016 - no entry documents on hand

billmtoronto

Jan 17, 2019
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have one that needs your help.
I'm helping a friend, a single mom, Canadian citizen, who lives in Ontario. She has two kids born in the USA - boy is 8 yrs old, girl is 4. They entered Canada (Ontario) in June 2016. They are permanently residing since then in Toronto. I reviewed their U S passports and there are no visa or entry stamps in either of them. They also have NO immigration documents such as a Record of Landing, or Confirmation of Permanent Residence. They do not have PR status, however the mom applied for Cdn citizenship for them in August, 2018, and she has the application tracking numbers and letter from IRCC to that effect. Citizenship is in progress.
She applied for OHIP for them a couple of years ago, got OHIP coverage, but in Sept 2018 OHIP advised her they have communicated with IRCC and because (I think) IRCC could not confirm their status (?) OHIP has been cut off for the kids.
I plan to go with her to Service Ontario 777 Bay next week. She has documents from List 3 Proof of Identity (kids' passports), as well as List 2 Proof of Residency (school letter and child tax benefit statement), but I'm at somewhat of a loss to think of what documents we can show for List 1 "Proof of Canadian Citizenship or OHIP Eligible Immigration Status". Would the confirmation letter from IRCC for application for Citizenship be enough? Also, would this be considered a renewal request for OHIP (since the kids are already in their computer system?) or a new OHIP application altogether. Thanks for all your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have one that needs your help.
I'm helping a friend, a single mom, Canadian citizen, who lives in Ontario. She has two kids born in the USA - boy is 8 yrs old, girl is 4. They entered Canada (Ontario) in June 2016. They are permanently residing since then in Toronto. I reviewed their U S passports and there are no visa or entry stamps in either of them. They also have NO immigration documents such as a Record of Landing, or Confirmation of Permanent Residence. They do not have PR status, however the mom applied for Cdn citizenship for them in August, 2018, and she has the application tracking numbers and letter from IRCC to that effect. Citizenship is in progress.
She applied for OHIP for them a couple of years ago, got OHIP coverage, but in Sept 2018 OHIP advised her they have communicated with IRCC and because (I think) IRCC could not confirm their status (?) OHIP has been cut off for the kids.
I plan to go with her to Service Ontario 777 Bay next week. She has documents from List 3 Proof of Identity (kids' passports), as well as List 2 Proof of Residency (school letter and child tax benefit statement), but I'm at somewhat of a loss to think of what documents we can show for List 1 "Proof of Canadian Citizenship or OHIP Eligible Immigration Status". Would the confirmation letter from IRCC for application for Citizenship be enough? Also, would this be considered a renewal request for OHIP (since the kids are already in their computer system?) or a new OHIP application altogether. Thanks for all your help.
Assuming the kids are Canadian by descent and you mean she applied for Certificates of Citizenship, not a grant of citizenship.

It is unlikely OHIP will accept proof of submission. She really dropped the ball by not sorting out the proof of citizenship years ago.

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hope they haven't used on ton of healthcare because looks like they have been out of status in Canada for quite some time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hope they haven't used on ton of healthcare because looks like they have been out of status in Canada for quite some time.
Assuming they are Canadian citizens by descent, there is no status issue. Just a paperwork issue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assuming they are Canadian citizens by descent, there is no status issue. Just a paperwork issue.
Yes but don't you have to file your paperwork before you are in the country legally? They have been living without any status in Canada since she hadn't applied for their citizenship recognition/papers?

Imagine they will be eventually covered retroactively but until it gets worked out it could be a big mess.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes but don't you have to file your paperwork before you are in the country legally? They have been living without any status in Canada since she hadn't applied for their citizenship recognition/papers?

Imagine they will be eventually covered retroactively but until it gets worked out it could be a big mess.
She should have sorted it out but citizenship is citizenship. They are (still assuming but it is the likely scenario) Canadian citizens and therefore cannot be out of status in Canada. They have the right to live in Canada but the mother screwed up on getting the paperwork done.

Once they have the Certificates of Citizenship, it should be very straightforward to sort out the coverage.