+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP - for returning PR Holders

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@M Sid - Dont get OHIP if you are not planning to stay long and doing only soft landing.... once you decide to move back permanently to Canada in Ontario, only then take it...... getting OHIP and not staying can create problems later on when you try to enroll for it again later......

We moved here permanently and are now paying taxes which are used for OHIP...thats the idea and spirit of OHIP... lets maintain that.....
You can also be charged after the fact for any healthcare you used if you weren’t entitled to OHIP coverage so that should be the reason not to enrol when not entitled.

aspirecanada2021

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
India
@M Sid - You are planning to come back permanently after 2 months, and by god's grace you will..... but for any reason you get delayed for long, it can create issues later if you are already enrolled in OHIP..... so best is to get OHIP when you move here permanently...... you may encounter 90 days waiting period (right now its 0 days due to Covid) ... however believe me you dont want to run into other issues related to OHIP enrollment and you can easily get travel insurance for 90 days .... so do consider those factors before making your decision.....

M Sid

Apr 18, 2022
@M Sid - Dont get OHIP if you are not planning to stay long and doing only soft landing.... once you decide to move back permanently to Canada in Ontario, only then take it...... getting OHIP and not staying can create problems later on when you try to enroll for it again later......

We moved here permanently and are now paying taxes which are used for OHIP...thats the idea and spirit of OHIP... lets maintain that.....
Yeah, thanks.

Dropped our soft landing plan. Shall now move to Ontario two months later, God willing.

colcol

May 27, 2019
Has anyone had the ACTUAL experience of this situation? that is, has anyone actually registered for OHIP only to then have to leave the country for more than 30 days on that first six months period? whats was the experience?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Has anyone had the ACTUAL experience of this situation? that is, has anyone actually registered for OHIP only to then have to leave the country for more than 30 days on that first six months period? whats was the experience?
I doubt that anyone who did that would come and reply. I think if they did that, they just hope that OHIP will never found out... and so that's by luck?!

I am interested to see if any one had the experience and if OHIP will go after them for the bills.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I doubt that anyone who did that would come and reply. I think if they did that, they just hope that OHIP will never found out... and so that's by luck?!

I am interested to see if any one had the experience and if OHIP will go after them for the bills.
They do and it can be years later. Pregnancy is one of things that can trigger an audit of you arrive mid wave through a pregnancy yet haven’t used the healthcare system for years. Large expenses after minimal activity on a health card or people arriving midway through treatment although they’ve been out of Ontario for a long times are some of the things OHIP looks for. Only a small percentage of the actual fraud gets through since on a daily basis people are probably using their health care when they aren’t entitled to.

aspirecanada2021

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
India
@ImpatientAlligator - I am not sure.......... this can be found by calling Service Ontario helpline ..

If there is no waiting period, they give you "paper card" which starts coverage immediately .........your proper photo plastic card may take couple of months to come, however the paper card along with a valid identification like PR card, DL with photo or passport is used to avail coverage...

However note that in order to get OHIP, you have to prove that you are living in Ontario... so you need to show either a valid lease or a recent bank/credit card/telephone/utilities bill with your name and Ontario address on it (they have a list of address proof which I dont recall but its available online)..... if you are enrolled for bank /credit card e-statements, then you have to go to respective bank and get that statement attested by the bank that its a true copy........they usually want to see a physical paper copy with postal address.....

Private health insurance must be taken until you can get OHIP..... also dental and bunch of other things are not covered under OHIP and you need to take additional private insurance anyways to cover those......

Reactions: ImpatientAlligator