+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP - for returning PR Holders

Aug 2, 2019
Hello All - My wife and I have received the PR cards back in Sep 2019. We went to Canada in Sep 2019, stayed there for 3 days for Soft Landing and came back to USA. Since then, because of COVID, we were not able to move back. Now that the situation has improved, we are planning to move to Canada on Permanent basis in Oct 2021.

Question - I was checking OHIP website, though it says there is no waiting period, however it also says below:

Link - https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence

How long we will have to wait to be eligible for the OHIP card?

Reactions: skye

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All - My wife and I have received the PR cards back in Sep 2019. We went to Canada in Sep 2019, stayed there for 3 days for Soft Landing and came back to USA. Since then, because of COVID, we were not able to move back. Now that the situation has improved, we are planning to move to Canada on Permanent basis in Oct 2021.

Question - I was checking OHIP website, though it says there is no waiting period, however it also says below:

Link - https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence

How long we will have to wait to be eligible for the OHIP card?
If nothing changes there is no waiting period as long as you will be able to meet the residency requirements in Ontario and make Ontario your permanent home.

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
You will be eligible right away, but if you leave for over 30 days in your first 183 days, you will then be ineligible. Tbh, I don't know how people get their OHIP back after they lose it because of this reason. It seems really unfair and like it is a stupid rule to just make life harder for immigrants.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will be eligible right away, but if you leave for over 30 days in your first 183 days, you will then be ineligible. Tbh, I don't know how people get their OHIP back after they lose it because of this reason. It seems really unfair and like it is a stupid rule to just make life harder for immigrants.
It also seems unfair to be able to be able to come to Ontario use healthcare and leave without being a taxpayer which is why residency rules for OHIP are in place.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You’re being facetious, right ?

aspirecanada2021

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
India
@abhishektewary2008 @canuck78 and other seniors.... I am in the similar boat.... soft landed in Toronto in 2019, went back after few days thinking to return soon and got stuck in India due to pandemic..... when I did soft landing in 2019, I did not applied for OHIP ....... now I have landed back in Canada to settle in Toronto and would like to apply for OHIP asap since waiting period has been waived off and Covid......I landed on Dec 22, 2021...have applied for driver's license, opened bank account and got a Canada phone number .... I will like to know about following:

1. Did you faced any issues in getting OHIP card since you soft landed in 2019 and returned after long time? Did you had to fill in any additional documents to explain absence or anything extra you had to do besides filling in the form and submit the necessary documents in Service Ontario?

2. Did you faced any issues with IRCC or immigration authorities due to application to OHIP after a gap of couple of years?

3. There is a question in the OHIP form - "When did you take up permanent residence in Ontario"? What date should I fill for this question - soft landing date of 2019 or Dec 22 2021? Technically, only now I am taking up permanent residence in Ontario since I am settling now and I think I should fill in Dec 22, 2021 but I want to confirm...... My COPR has the landing date of 2019, copy of which I believe I will need to submit for OHIP.....do I need to fill in my landing date of 2019?

Any guidance is deeply appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@abhishektewary2008 @canuck78 and other seniors.... I am in the similar boat.... soft landed in Toronto in 2019, went back after few days thinking to return soon and got stuck in India due to pandemic..... when I did soft landing in 2019, I did not applied for OHIP ....... now I have landed back in Canada to settle in Toronto and would like to apply for OHIP asap since waiting period has been waived off and Covid......I landed on Dec 22, 2021...have applied for driver's license, opened bank account and got a Canada phone number .... I will like to know about following:

1. Did you faced any issues in getting OHIP card since you soft landed in 2019 and returned after long time? Did you had to fill in any additional documents to explain absence or anything extra you had to do besides filling in the form and submit the necessary documents in Service Ontario?

2. Did you faced any issues with IRCC or immigration authorities due to application to OHIP after a gap of couple of years?

3. There is a question in the OHIP form - "When did you take up permanent residence in Ontario"? What date should I fill for this question - soft landing date of 2019 or Dec 22 2021? Technically, only now I am taking up permanent residence in Ontario since I am settling now and I think I should fill in Dec 22, 2021 but I want to confirm...... My COPR has the landing date of 2019, copy of which I believe I will need to submit for OHIP.....do I need to fill in my landing date of 2019?

Any guidance is deeply appreciated.
old posts but you only moved to Canada permanently in 2021.

M Sid

Apr 18, 2022
Hi! If I soft land in Ontario for two weeks and then return permanently after two months. Will I be able to get OHIP right from the first day of my second visit? Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! If I soft land in Ontario for two weeks and then return permanently after two months. Will I be able to get OHIP right from the first day of my second visit? Thanks.
We can't tell you since you're asking about the future.

Right now you would since the 3 month waiting period is waived due to COVID.

However if Ontario puts the 3 month waiting period back in, then you'll need to wait 3 months before you qualify once you return the second time.

M Sid

Apr 18, 2022
We can't tell you since you're asking about the future.

Right now you would since the 3 month waiting period is waived due to COVID.

However if Ontario puts the 3 month waiting period back in, then you'll need to wait 3 months before you qualify once you return the second time.
Okay, thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would
Would add that you would also need to be staying in Ontario for 6 months of the next year and not absent for over a month for the first 6 months. If you won’t be meeting those requirements you can’t apply for OHIP.

aspirecanada2021

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021
India
@M Sid - Dont get OHIP if you are not planning to stay long and doing only soft landing.... once you decide to move back permanently to Canada in Ontario, only then take it...... getting OHIP and not staying can create problems later on when you try to enroll for it again later......

We moved here permanently and are now paying taxes which are used for OHIP...thats the idea and spirit of OHIP... lets maintain that.....

Reactions: YVR123