+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP for PR in process, currently on study visa?

hannahmay

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm in a bit of a loophole when it comes to getting OHIP (Ontario provincial healthcare), and I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what I can do..

I'm from England, waiting for my PR through family sponsorship (Canadian husband is sponsoring me). I'm living in Canada, and have been since late 2014/early 2015. I am currently here on a Student Visa. I originally moved to Saskatchewan to live with my husband, and with a student visa I was allowed to obtain the SK health card.

We moved to Ontario and just recently submitted our PR application through family sponsorship. My SK health card just expired, so I went to apply for OHIP. However, I was declined since "foreign students" cannot obtain OHIP, and I cannot access UHIP (student health insurance) through a university in Ontario since I have not [and can currently not] apply to university.

Now, we received an email from CIC stating they have and are processing our application just a couple of weeks after we sent it off. We rang CIC and asked if I am able to get OHIP whilst waiting for my PR (since the wait can be a few months to 24+ months... I need coverage), and they said the email we received is sufficient proof to add to the paperwork necessary for myself to apply and people have been able to get OHIP in the past with it. So I went to my local Service Ontario, yet the guy declined saying the letter/email from CIC along with my Study Visa (and Ontario drivers license, British passport, proof of Ontarian address, Canadian tax reports etc.) is not enough.

Now I'm not sure what to do with CIC and Service Ontario contradicting one another... and I'd rather avoid paying private health care prices (given this PR process is costly as it is!). Though if it must come to that, what choice do I have.. I currently have ZERO health coverage besides my car insurance medical coverage. I can always keep on walking into Service Ontario in the hope the next staff member will allow me OHIP. Are there any other options or answers to health care for someone in my situation? :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Normally applicants aren't successful in getting OHIP coverage until they are either 100% approved (for outland) or until AIP/first stage approval (for inland).

Some have been successful by being refused and then appealing.

Have you applied inland or outland?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
hannahmay said:
I applied outland.
You need to follow the steps exactly from this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html;msg2518001#msg2518001

Basically you need to apply for OHIP, get rejected with a refusal letter, then contact the OERC to appeal the rejection. OERC will contact your outland visa office and at some point in the process, you will be deemed eligible to apply for OHIP. It's a long a bureaucratic process.