+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP for OWP for spouse application

ikhan1191

Apr 2, 2016
Hi,

So i posted in the wrong section before. I am a Canadian Citizen and my wife is not. We applied for the immigration INland and along with it sent out the OWP form. She Just recieved her OWP today.

So we want to apply for her OHIP. I see the following online where it said that she should meet all the criteria on the first part and atleast one on the 2nd.

Just want to reconfirm and ask some questions

Part 1.

@Your principal home is in Ontario.
@You were not away from Ontario for more than 30 days during the first 6 months that you lived here. That means you must be in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days that you live in Ontario.
@You are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.
- She has been here for 196 days since arrival on July 5 and we got married on the 7th and has been in ontario for that period of time. SO She meets this criteria.

2nd part - i apparently only need ONE of these to be true..there are others on the list but she dosent meet those .

@You have a work permit that is valid for at least 6 months. You also have a formal agreement to work full-time for an employer in Ontario. The agreement states the employer's name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for at least 6 consecutive months.
@Your spouse or same-sex partner is a foreign worker who is eligible for OHIP.

She dosent meet the first one obviously. BUT If A foreign worker spouse makes you eligible for OHIP how come a CANADIAN CITIZEN spouse dosen't?

and that is what i want to know.

Thank you

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ikhan1191 said:
She dosent meet the first one obviously. BUT If A foreign worker spouse makes you eligible for OHIP how come a CANADIAN CITIZEN spouse dosen't?
Those are just the rules OHIP made up. Difficult to find logic in some of them.

If she can't get the full time job to qualify for OHIP, then she'll need to wait to qualify for this one:
you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada ;

Once she receives "AIP" - Approval in Principle, on her inland PR app, she'll be eligible for OHIP. From what I've heard, AIP is being received near to the end of inland processing these days. But read the Inland threads for more accurate info.