+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP for newcomers

cherya

Apr 30, 2020
Hello everyone, I have a question related to OHIP for newcomers (never been to Canada before).
I a bit confused about this information:

To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.
To meet the minimum qualifications you must:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence

As a new immigrant, can I apply for the OHIP card the next day after my landing and be covered by this insurance?
Thank you

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
Hello everyone, I have a question related to OHIP for newcomers (never been to Canada before).

As a new immigrant, can I apply for the OHIP card the next day after my landing and be covered by this insurance?
Thank you
Yes you can apply the next day if you have the necessary documents proving identity, immigration status (PR), and residence in Ontario. There is currently no waiting period so coverage takes effect right away.

Reactions: cherya

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you
Currently yes if you will be meeting the residency requirements for the next 6 months. Assume that the 3 month waiting period will return at some point. If in quarantine you obviously must wait until after quarantine to go to service Ontario.

Reactions: cherya

geekygod

Nov 21, 2017
Dear all, I am a bit confused between 90 day waiting period and 153 day stay in Ontario. When can a newcomer apply for OHIP - 90 days post landing or 153 days post landing?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all, I am a bit confused between 90 day waiting period and 153 day stay in Ontario. When can a newcomer apply for OHIP - 90 days post landing or 153 days post landing?
Currently there is no wait period but normally it is 3 months. The 153 days out of the first 6 months is part of the residency requirement to qualify for OHIP. You both need a valid OHIP card and meet the RO for OHIP to qualify for health services. If you don’t meet the RO for OHIP you can be asked to pay back any of the healthcare you used. The RO for healthcare is in place to make sure people aren’t coming into Canada to use healthcare and then leaving,

Reactions: geekygod