+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP for Dependent Visa

maearcenal

Aug 28, 2019
Hello, Good Day!
I would like to ask about my situation. Currently, I'm still on the process of my dependent visa application for Canada. I am the dependent wife and my husband is the student for 1 year with 1 year pgwp. And currently, he is based in Ontario.

Now, we are having a hard time of our situation. I am now 8 weeks pregnant and this is my 2nd baby and I am advised to have C-Section. While waiting for my application to be sent through the embasssy, there are many question we need an answer.
1. As soon as I arrived in Canada, Am I still allowed or eligible to have the OHIP?
2. If given the chance to have my OHIP, does OHIP covers my pregnancy and delivery of the baby?
3. If OHIP will not cover my pregnancy and delivery, what insurance company will you suggest that will accept pregnant?
4. Are there any suggestion you can give regarding our situation? We are looking for solution where we can pay lesser cost?
5. Does OHIP covers dependent visa?

Hoping for your response. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, my husband is in school. And yes I am applying Open Work Permit.
If you get a SOWP, since they aren’t guaranteed for spouses of international students, your husband will have to enquire about getting you coverage under his UHIP program and what kind of coverage you would be able to access. The only other way for you to receive OHIP would be if you have proof that you will be working for over 6 months. There would still be a 3 month wait period to get coverage under OHIP.

No insurance company will cover pregnancy (delivery) if you are pregnant once you apply. They know you will need to deliver and insurance programs are in the business of making money.

You will have to look at the timing of your pregnancy and when he loses UHIP. You would have to qualify for a new SOWP once he has PGWP a job in NOC 0, A or B and 3 pay stubs.

Would first wait and see if you get the SOWP. If you are required to do a medical you and your OB will have to decide whether you want to do the x-ray while still pregnant.

maearcenal

Aug 28, 2019
If you get a SOWP, since they aren’t guaranteed for spouses of international students, your husband will have to enquire about getting you coverage under his UHIP program and what kind of coverage you would be able to access. The only other way for you to receive OHIP would be if you have proof that you will be working for over 6 months. There would still be a 3 month wait period to get coverage under OHIP.

No insurance company will cover pregnancy (delivery) if you are pregnant once you apply. They know you will need to deliver and insurance programs are in the business of making money.

You will have to look at the timing of your pregnancy and when he loses UHIP. You would have to qualify for a new SOWP once he has PGWP a job in NOC 0, A or B and 3 pay stubs.

Would first wait and see if you get the SOWP. If you are required to do a medical you and your OB will have to decide whether you want to do the x-ray while still pregnant.

Thank you so much for your response. It gives a lot information. Does UHIP covers pregnancy and delivering of baby?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need to be very careful about when your coverage from UHIP ends. If your husband continues to study your UHIP coverage may end before you are due. It is unclear if the program is 8 months or a full year. You still have quite a few obstacles including being approved for a OWP and how long it may take to hear about approval/rejection. Plus whether you are comfortable doing the chest x-ray. I would bring the issue up at your next OB or midwife appointment so you know what your answer will be.