+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligible concern

dillydally89

Aug 1, 2023
Me and my spouse will get our COPR soon, as new immigrants via Express Entry for Ontario and we intend to do our soft landing in Canada asap.
Is the 3 month waiting period still in effect?
How long does it take to get your OHIP health card if you are eligible and you apply for it?
We are looking to deliver our baby in Toronto, (7 months now) and if we can get the OHIP card, then nothing like it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That may be true, but there are some OHIP operations that cannot be done in the smaller ones (we had one or two of our family members that were directed to a full-service Service Ontario location).

And I'd wager that overall, the chances of having a more senior, more knowledgeable person in the full-service ones are higher. I was very impressed with the manager of the smaller one nearest us, but they referred us to the other immediately for that issue. The bigger one was a bit slower but did get it done.

Obviously YMMV. But there's a reason they're called full service.
What can’t be done at smaller locations?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Me and my spouse will get our COPR soon, as new immigrants via Express Entry for Ontario and we intend to do our soft landing in Canada asap.
Is the 3 month waiting period still in effect?
How long does it take to get your OHIP health card if you are eligible and you apply for it?
We are looking to deliver our baby in Toronto, (7 months now) and if we can get the OHIP card, then nothing like it.
If doing a soft landing you unlikely qualify for OHIP. You have to be making your permanent home in Ontario, planning on being in Ontario for the next 5 out of 6 months and being in Ontario for the next 6 out of 12 months. If you don’t plan on meeting all these conditions you shouldn’t be applying because meeting the conditions is a requirement. When you permanently move to Ontario and can commit to meeting the residency requirements then you can apply for OHIP. No there is currently no 3 month wait period but nobody knows if it will return.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm embarrassed, but for the life of me, I cannot recall what the issue was (although it was for new immigrants) - some documentation issue that only applied to one member of the family (others got their cards and all right away at the smaller location). But it was quite specific and they were absolutely certain it could only be done at the 'full' location, and at that location they confirmed it. And believe me, this was during covid (post-quarantine) and very inconvenient and I pushed back to make sure this wasn't just a runaround.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I used to hold the old white red ohip card. This was issued in 1989. Received the letter from the Ministry that I MUST have that card converted to the picture card . I checked with my Dr . She said she’s seen people cut off from ohip when they held the old cards . So off I went to a service Ontario office located in a Canadian Tire . After being told I did not exist in the system , the agent called OHIP. I was told I had to go to the full service office @ Bay/ College in Toronto. Bear in mind , I had that old card for +25 years . Think full service is if there’s anything out of the ordinary registration or renewal . I do know the agents at the office at Bay/College are actual employees of the Government. Some other offices are managed by a third party. In the end I just had to verify identity , residential address. Those red white cards were or are a hot commodity on the black market once upon a time

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I used to hold the old white red ohip card. This was issued in 1989. Received the letter from the Ministry that I MUST have that card converted to the picture card . I checked with my Dr . She said she’s seen people cut off from ohip when they held the old cards . So off I went to a service Ontario office located in a Canadian Tire . After being told I did not exist in the system , the agent called OHIP. I was told I had to go to the full service office @ Bay/ College in Toronto. Bear in mind , I had that old card for +25 years . Think full service is if there’s anything out of the ordinary registration or renewal . I do know the agents at the office at Bay/College are actual employees of the Government. Some other offices are managed by a third party. In the end I just had to verify identity , residential address. Those red white cards were or are a hot commodity on the black market once upon a time
I recently went to the Canadian Tire location. Believe this location is run by government employees. In general think that more senior staff and more experienced staff are located at the larger Service Ontario locations. Think many of the times people have to go to the larger locations because at other locations employees may have limited experience so can only process the few options where forms of provided for new cards, card renewal, etc. Don’t think they can’t process applications think in most cases employees are not familiar with more than basic applications so tell people they must go to larger offices. Most can also be done online except after 10 years you have to come in to update your picture.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I recently went to the Canadian Tire location. Believe this location is run by government employees. In general think that more senior staff and more experienced staff are located at the larger Service Ontario locations. Think many of the times people have to go to the larger locations because at other locations employees may have limited experience so can only process the few options where forms of provided for new cards, card renewal, etc. Don’t think they can’t process applications
The post above has jogged my memory - it was indeed a question of old (red) OHIP cards, and I'm sorry, but your speculation is not correct. Again, the manager I spoke to at the smaller location was extremely knowledgeable - and very precise and specific, this could only be done in the 'full' Service Ontario locations. I'm sure that generally the 'full' ones also have more knowledgeable staff generally, but it's not just that.

I know also know which two were suggested based on location, and those two are also the ones that have come up for another service I need to get (not OHIP related). They clearly have a conception of which ones provide 'full' service even if they've not described exactly which services those are (at least that I can see).

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I recently went to the Canadian Tire location. Believe this location is run by government employees. In general think that more senior staff and more experienced staff are located at the larger Service Ontario locations. Think many of the times people have to go to the larger locations because at other locations employees may have limited experience so can only process the few options where forms of provided for new cards, card renewal, etc. Don’t think they can’t process applications think in most cases employees are not familiar with more than basic applications so tell people they must go to larger offices. Most can also be done online except after 10 years you have to come in to update your picture.
I think the reason they referred me to the office at Bay/College was when they were told I didn’t exist in the system . That raised my eyebrows. But I’m more of a pick your battles kinda guy . Wasn’t a battle I had the time nor energy to get into there .

Others might have gone off the rails . I’m like whatever. Guess a trip downtown it’ll be.
I remember after I lost my job , I saw hiring going on for a Service Ontario location . Hiring wasn’t done thru a Government website, but a corp.
Employees are employed thru that corp, not the Province

Last edited: