+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligibilty for Post Graduate work Permit Holder

geol

Dec 18, 2014
Have completed graduation from university in Ontario and got PGWP. I also got offer letter for the job. I had UHIP which is expiring in Dec., 2015 now the issue is - can I be eligible for OHIP. I am residing in Ontario for last 18 months without any break.Please help me.

geol

Dec 18, 2014
geol said:
Have completed graduation from university in Ontario and got PGWP. I also got offer letter for the job. I had UHIP which is expiring in Dec., 2015 now the issue is - can I be eligible for OHIP. I am residing in Ontario for last 18 months without any break.Please help me.
Any body who can help me and tell me the eligibility for OHIP.
Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do you have a full time job?

tortau

Star Member
Jan 11, 2014
Hi geol,

If you are working full time and have a valid work permit and live in Ontario, you shouldn't have a problem applying for OHIP. Just bring your documents and a letter of employment to Service Ontario.

T.

geol

Dec 18, 2014
tortau said:
Hi geol,

If you are working full time and have a valid work permit and live in Ontario, you shouldn't have a problem applying for OHIP. Just bring your documents and a letter of employment to Service Ontario.

T.
Thanks a lot, further to this- will I be eligible immediately to get OHIP coverage or will it take another 3 months as waiting time?
Thanks in advance.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
geol said:
Thanks a lot, further to this- will I be eligible immediately to get OHIP coverage or will it take another 3 months as waiting time?
Thanks in advance.
I believe if you lose your OHIP and then want to re-apply for it, you would need to go through the 3-month waiting period again. However it's best to ask this question directly to OHIP as their site's info is not always clear, and even at their Service Ontario locations they sometimes also do things differently.

geol

Dec 18, 2014
Rob_TO said:
I believe if you lose your OHIP and then want to re-apply for it, you would need to go through the 3-month waiting period again. However it's best to ask this question directly to OHIP as their site's info is not always clear, and even at their Service Ontario locations they sometimes also do things differently.
Yes, Thanks but this is true that different Service Ontario locations has different statements. Let me try in my area.
Thanks once againn

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Yes you should have no problem applying for OHIP - you meet all the requirements. Just make sure you apply as soon as possible just to get started on the whole process in case there is a waiting period.

If you need something in the meantime- Manulife has plans that will cover you. Sometimes I heard of employers offering plans to employees even without provincial plans but that can be tricky.

<a href=https://arbetovinsurance.com/manulife-visitors-to-canada-health-insurance-benefits/>Private coverage with Manulife</a>

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Please find below the sample of the Letter which You need from your employer, also in addition to that you should also carry all the document available, Passport, Work Permit, Offer Letter, Acceptance Letter (signed by both you and employer), Pay Stubs, and the letter in the format below which is the most difficult to get.

** LETTER MUST BE PRINTED ON COMPANY LETTERHEAD. BRING THE ORIGINAL, NOT A PHOTOCOPY OR SCAN **

Company Name
Company Address
Toronto, ON
M5C 1A6

March 24, 2015

To Whom It May Concern,

Re: John Doe
123 Fake Street
Toronto, ON
L7A 5T7

This letter is to confirm that Mr. John Doe has been employed full-time at <<Company Name>> as <<Title/Occupation>> since <<Start Date>> and it our pleasure to employ him ongoing through 2015 and 2016 at <<Company Name and Address>>.

I can also confirm that Mr. John Doe resides at the following address: 123 Fake Street, Toronto, ON L7A 5T7.

If you require further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely

Employer Signature

<<Employer Name>>
<<Employer Title>>
<<Company Name>>
(416) 653 5612

(This is just a sample of the letter, any modification to this is still acceptable, provided it has the basic information and it should say that they intend to hire you for more than 6 months).

ayokunlex02

Mar 10, 2016
geol said:

darshil123

Jun 4, 2019
I've completed my education and got a post-graduate work permit.

Now I got a contract job for 8-months, am I eligible for OHIP? If not, what are my options for health insurance?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I've completed my education and got a post-graduate work permit.

Now I got a contract job for 8-months, am I eligible for OHIP? If not, what are my options for health insurance?
Yes you qualify for OHIP. Your employer will have to write a letter which includes the length of your contract. There are posts that describe exactly what should he in the letter from your employer. Wouls make sure you read them so you get the OHIP on your first try.