App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
a relative did their soft landing in ontario last october and moved to the states. the wife is currently pregnant and is planning to give birth in canada in october and leave afterwards. i know ohip has waived the wait time for eligibility but how does it work then if they don't become residents? my assumption is they lost ohip since they were out for over six months and will need to reapply once they return and have an address. which means they will be covered when giving birth, but what happens if they leave before the 153 days for this second round? shouldn't the government send them the bill?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
a relative did their soft landing in ontario last october and moved to the states. the wife is currently pregnant and is planning to give birth in canada in october and leave afterwards. i know ohip has waived the wait time for eligibility but how does it work then if they don't become residents? my assumption is they lost ohip since they were out for over six months and will need to reapply once they return and have an address. which means they will be covered when giving birth, but what happens if they leave before the 153 days for this second round? shouldn't the government send them the bill?
If she leaves without meeting the residency requirement she should expect the province to come after her for the costs related to the birth. Based on experiences here, there are additional fees assessed, meaning they will end up paying thousands more than if they had just paid out of pocket to start with.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
If she leaves without meeting the residency requirement she should expect the province to come after her for the costs related to the birth. Based on experiences here, there are additional fees assessed, meaning they will end up paying thousands more than if they had just paid out of pocket to start with.
how far does the province go though? will it block her reentry to canada in the future? or do they send collections in other countries? tbh i have no interest in advising her as at this stage they have literally done everything wrong, just wondering what consequences they will face. i know that having a canadian baby won't automatically allow them reentry should they break the rules

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
how far does the province go though? will it block her reentry to canada in the future? or do they send collections in other countries? tbh i have no interest in advising her as at this stage they have literally done everything wrong, just wondering what consequences they will face. i know that having a canadian baby won't automatically allow them reentry should they break the rules
The province can't pursue them outside of Canada or block their entry. However if they end up returning to Canada, the province will pursue them then and they may be blocked from getting access to provincial health care until they repay.

Reactions: canuck78 and hamgha

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
it is healthcare fraud which is a crime that OHIP can decide to pursue. Pursuing reimbursement is typically 1st step but if especially high dollar amount could be pursued criminally. When they reapply for OHIP for the mother you have to sign a document confirming you plan on meeting the residency requirements to qualify for OHiP coverage. Same thing in the hospital for the baby. Baby also committing healthcare fraud through parents. Such a bad idea especially jf the baby needs any nicu care. Even a day is around 20k. Also incredibly stupid/risky since you need the closest monitoring in the last month of pregnancy. If you show up at 36 weeks pregnant you are unlikely to get an OB to monitor you for problems in your last weeks of your pregnancy which is a crucial time. Are they just going to show up at a certain hospital L&D in labour? Would add your relatives weren’t entitled to apply for OHIP during their short landing so they are already off to a good start.

Last edited: