+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligibility

M151R151

Mar 3, 2021
Hey all,

I am wondering when I'll be eligible to apply for OHIP.

I am a UK citizen. I used to live in Ontario from Aug 2019 to May 2021 on a 2-year working holiday visa. During that period, I had OHIP starting from Nov 2019.

Between May 2021 and now, I've been living in the UK.

In June this year, I am returning to Ontario as a permanent resident. Will I be eligible to apply for OHIP upon my arrival in Ontario? If not, how long will I need to wait until I am eligible? I saw somewhere that the 3-month initial period got waived during the pandemic and I've not seen anything saying it's been reinstated.

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey all,

I am wondering when I'll be eligible to apply for OHIP.

I am a UK citizen. I used to live in Ontario from Aug 2019 to May 2021 on a 2-year working holiday visa. During that period, I had OHIP starting from Nov 2019.

Between May 2021 and now, I've been living in the UK.

In June this year, I am returning to Ontario as a permanent resident. Will I be eligible to apply for OHIP upon my arrival in Ontario? If not, how long will I need to wait until I am eligible? I saw somewhere that the 3-month initial period got waived during the pandemic and I've not seen anything saying it's been reinstated.

Thank you!
You’ll qualify right away if the 3 month wait period hasn’t returned and you plan on remaining in Ontario for the next 5 out of 6 months, 6 months out of the next year and making Ontario your permanent home.