+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Eligibility: we are living outside of canada and planning to go there in 7th month of pregnancy so won't be able to complete 183 day

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
alright. that means if we come to canada get the HC and stay there atleast for 153 days for that year, we will be fine ?

my confusion again here is , do we have to be Canada for 153 days before getting the benefits from OHIP or do i have to pay for the dr visits and baby delivery myself. (since i wont be earning initially in canada and will be dependant on my savings)

thanks
OHIP you have to be in Ontario for 3 months and then you're elliglble for health coverage, however because of the pandemic that has been waived and you are covered immediately once you're in the province.

You do need to provide a proof of address here though.

The 153 day threshold is whether you have to refund the cost of your medical treatment or not, it's not the wait time for initially being covered.

Last edited:

acesheikh

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
OHIP you have to be in Ontario for 3 months and then you're elliglble for health coverage, however because of the pandemic that has been waived and you are covered immediately once you're in the province.

You do need to provide a proof of address here though.

The 153 day threshold is whether you have to refund the cost of your medical treatment or not, it's not the wait time for initially being covered.
i got it. thank you so much :) really appreciate the information.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i got it. thank you so much :) really appreciate the information.
If your wife and child are in Canada you become a resident for tax purposes in Canada even if you are not in Canada. Only fair given your family is using the services. Given covid numbers are decreasing aNd Service Ontario offices are opening there is no guarantee that the wait time of 3 month will not return. If that is the case you will need to cover the costs of prenatal care and testing and any potential hospitalizations.

acesheikh

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
If your wife and child are in Canada you become a resident for tax purposes in Canada even if you are not in Canada. Only fair given your family is using the services. Given covid numbers are decreasing aNd Service Ontario offices are opening there is no guarantee that the wait time of 3 month will not return. If that is the case you will need to cover the costs of prenatal care and testing and any potential hospitalizations.
Ok great I understood yes we plan to move permanently I will just come back for a few months and then join them back soon.
Also hoping that we the OHIP right away as now we will plan to come early in sep to have good margin in due date.
thanks for your response:)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok great I understood yes we plan to move permanently I will just come back for a few months and then join them back soon.
Also hoping that we the OHIP right away as now we will plan to come early in sep to have good margin in due date.
Babies arrive early every day. As someone born at 36 weeks your margin is very tight.

Reactions: acesheikh

DesertRoseKSA

Jan 4, 2021
Hi Acessheikh,

What did you finally end up doing? I'm in similar situation from KSA and would be landing in Toronto on 10th Feb. I'm 6 weeks pregnant now and we are a bit stressed with a similar situation as you described. It will great if you can share how your experience has been. I'm wishing all is going well for you. Good luck and thanks in advance. I'm available on +965 97261771 (WhatsApp). It would help to learn from your journey. Would appreciate of you drop me a DM on WhatsApp or share your coordinates for me to reach you please. Much appreciated.

Reactions: acesheikh

AcademicProfessor

Dec 6, 2020
Hi Acessheikh,

What did you finally end up doing? I'm in similar situation from KSA and would be landing in Toronto on 10th Feb. I'm 6 weeks pregnant now and we are a bit stressed with a similar situation as you described. It will great if you can share how your experience has been. I'm wishing all is going well for you. Good luck and thanks in advance. I'm available on +965 97261771 (WhatsApp). It would help to learn from your journey. Would appreciate of you drop me a DM on WhatsApp or share your coordinates for me to reach you please. Much appreciated.
I will connect with you as well, my cousin is in the same situation as you and is planning to come soon. I am in Canada so I am trying to find out the best options for her.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi Acessheikh,

When you land in February, will you be staying in Ontario permanently? If you are then your situation is different from the OP. You are only 6 weeks pregnant which is very early meaning you will be covered by OHIP even if they lift the waiting period because you still have about a 7 month wait before you give birth.

If you are not planning on staying permanently in Ontario, you should not even get your OHIP because to be eligible you must live in Ontario for 6 months immediately after landing (unless they changed this).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As a has been pointed out you must meet the residency requirement so must you and your child must meet the residency requires one of which being in the country for 6 months *look up others). If you don’t the residency requirements you can be asked to pay back all the healthcare you used.

acesheikh

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
Hi Acessheikh,

Sure will DM you as requested. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will connect with you as well, my cousin is in the same situation as you and is planning to come soon. I am in Canada so I am trying to find out the best options for her.
You can’t do anything until she arrives except try to find a GP accepting patients. After quarantine she will see a GP who can refer her to an OB. What hospital you deliver at is based on where your doctor has privileges you don’t decide yourself. As long as your cousin plans on remaining in Canada permanently there shouldn’t be an issue.

AcademicProfessor

Dec 6, 2020
You can’t do anything until she arrives except try to find a GP accepting patients. After quarantine she will see a GP who can refer her to an OB. What hospital you deliver at is based on where your doctor has privileges you don’t decide yourself. As long as your cousin plans on remaining in Canada permanently there shouldn’t be an issue.
Yes, she is moving here for good.