+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Eligibility: we are living outside of canada and planning to go there in 7th month of pregnancy so won't be able to complete 183 day

acesheikh

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
we are living outside of canada and planning to go there in 7th month of pregnancy so won't be able to complete 183 days. Do i have to pay the charges for the delivery or is there any chance that we can use our health card for getting appointment of family doctor right after landing. Will that be covered?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you haven't been in Ontario for the residency period required, you can assume that OHIP will eventually find out and not cover your expenses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also are not planning on the RO for OHIP yet again so that is the other issue that would not give you OHIP coverage. If you want to pay for all your care and delivery yourself that is your only options. Hospitals will want a decent deposit before you deliver.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Here's how a hospital finds, out by the way:

"Welcome to the maternity section. Who is your obstetrician?"

"We don't have one..."

"Why not?"

"We just don't have one."

"Okay, so who have you seen for regular checkups? We need to pull the records."

"We haven't."

"Why not?"

"We haven't been in Canada."

and boom, OHIP residency check started. You'd still be able to deliver, etc., as it will take them some time to find out, but you'll be found out unfortunately.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Here's how a hospital finds, out by the way:

"Welcome to the maternity section. Who is your obstetrician?"

"We don't have one..."

"Why not?"

"We just don't have one."

"Okay, so who have you seen for regular checkups? We need to pull the records."

"We haven't."

"Why not?"

"We haven't been in Canada."

and boom, OHIP residency check started. You'd still be able to deliver, etc., as it will take them some time to find out, but you'll be found out unfortunately.
It is also very unusual for OHIP to be accessed at 7 months pregnancy which often triggers an audit of when OHIP was used last.

Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It is also very unusual for OHIP to be accessed at 7 months pregnancy which often triggers an audit of when OHIP was used last.
Yeah. I'm thinking that just showing up, even with a valid OHIP card, when it's plugged into the system the "last use" would be years ago, and given 7mo of pregnancy, lots and lots of questions are asked.

acesheikh

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
ok now that's making it complicated for me. let me put my scenarios again and request you for your precious inputs:

background : we are a family of three (2+1) and did our first landing in Jul2018 and got our PR cards and came back to UAE (current residence).
and now plan to move permanently to Canada in sep this year (hopefully). My wife is pregnant and is due in Jan 2021.

Scenario1: we plan to move to ontario and get health cards OHIP right away or after 90days wait period, and get our child delivered in Canada.
as i understand once my wife has the OHIP and she plans to stay in Canada for good which means she will be staying more than 183 days in that given year after getting the OHIP. in that case will i have to pay for the dues or will CRA have a red flag, or will i be fine being a resident in good standing.

Scenario 2: Don't go to Canada now and get the baby delivered here in UAE and then go for TR visa for the baby and later add for PR. will this process be smooth as i have heard people waiting for months for the same also now considering the Covid, the processing times can be longer.

please advice on both scenarios.

thanks so much .

A.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ok now that's making it complicated for me. let me put my scenarios again and request you for your precious inputs:

background : we are a family of three (2+1) and did our first landing in Jul2018 and got our PR cards and came back to UAE (current residence).
and now plan to move permanently to Canada in sep this year (hopefully). My wife is pregnant and is due in Jan 2021.

Scenario1: we plan to move to ontario and get health cards OHIP right away or after 90days wait period, and get our child delivered in Canada.
as i understand once my wife has the OHIP and she plans to stay in Canada for good which means she will be staying more than 183 days in that given year after getting the OHIP. in that case will i have to pay for the dues or will CRA have a red flag, or will i be fine being a resident in good standing.

Scenario 2: Don't go to Canada now and get the baby delivered here in UAE and then go for TR visa for the baby and later add for PR. will this process be smooth as i have heard people waiting for months for the same also now considering the Covid, the processing times can be longer.

please advice on both scenarios.

thanks so much .

A.
For scenario 2 - probably only a 50% chance the TRV will be approved. No guarantee this will be smooth. You may find that your child will not be approved for a TRV. This would mean that one parent would need to remain outside of Canada with the child for the 8-10 month period it takes for the PR application to be processed - while the other parent moves to Canada to sponsor the child for PR. So this might result in your family being separated for the better part of a year.

acesheikh

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
For scenario 2 - probably only a 50% chance the TRV will be approved. No guarantee this will be smooth. You may find that your child will not be approved for a TRV. This would mean that one parent would need to remain outside of Canada with the child for the 8-10 month period it takes for the PR application to be processed - while the other parent moves to Canada to sponsor the child for PR. So this might result in your family being separated for the better part of a year.
alright. thank you so i will opt for scenario 1. thanks again

acesheikh

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
Scenario 1, if you're really moving there permanently, it should not be an issue.
alright. that means if we come to canada get the HC and stay there atleast for 153 days for that year, we will be fine ?

my confusion again here is , do we have to be Canada for 153 days before getting the benefits from OHIP or do i have to pay for the dr visits and baby delivery myself. (since i wont be earning initially in canada and will be dependant on my savings)

thanks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you don't have a job offer that will last 6mo beyond your time to return to Canada, you may have an eligibility period you have to meet before OHIP covers the delivery costs.

You may be required to pay for the doctor and baby delivery.

acesheikh

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
If you don't have a job offer that will last 6mo beyond your time to return to Canada, you may have an eligibility period you have to meet before OHIP covers the delivery costs.

You may be required to pay for the doctor and baby delivery.
Hi there, sorry i didn't understand your point, i of course wont have the job being a new immigrant prior, however in case we come and look for jobs and meanwhile the baby gets delivered. what is the last day i have to be on the job to avoid such expenses?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I don't know, it depends on what OHIP's current rules for eligibility are.

You don't always get to just land in Canada and immediately get medical care. You have to meet residency requirements in many cases.