+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligibility, Routine Immunization for newborn on TRP

can_asp

May 15, 2021
Hello,

My wife and I are PR holders Immigrating to Canada later this month. Our newborn baby(born abroad) would be accompanying us on a TRP Travel DOC and we would sponsor the child inland. WRT that, could you please clarify the below:
  1. Is my child eligible for OHIP while on TRP?
  2. Would Local Public Health Unit cover routine immunization for the newborn even before receiving the OHIP card?
  3. When applying for OHIP at ServiceOntario centre, would any authorization letter be provided which could be used for availing free health services even before the health card is received?
  4. Thinking of getting private medical insurance for at least the 1st month. For a family of 3, including a newborn, with no preexisting conditions, what would be the minimum recommended coverage limit suggested for a month? Any recommended Canada based insurance company?
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

My wife and I are PR holders Immigrating to Canada later this month. Our newborn baby(born abroad) would be accompanying us on a TRP Travel DOC and we would sponsor the child inland. WRT that, could you please clarify the below:
  2. Would Local Public Health Unit cover routine immunization for the newborn even before receiving the OHIP card?
  3. When applying for OHIP at ServiceOntario centre, would any authorization letter be provided which could be used for availing free health services even before the health card is received?
  4. Thinking of getting private medical insurance for at least the 1st month. For a family of 3, including a newborn, with no preexisting conditions, what would be the minimum recommended coverage limit suggested for a month? Any recommended Canada based insurance company?
Thanks!
No your child would not qualify for OHIP until PR. You can try and see if a vaccine clinic exists in your city and is open because many resources have been reallocated to deal with covid. You should take out emergency coverage for your child and you’ll need to pay for routine care. You don’t really need to take out insurance to cover you once you have landed as long as the 3 month wait period hasn’t returned.

Reactions: novascotia27

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
Hello,

Thanks!
1. Your child is not immediately eligible for OHIP, however once you apply for the child's PR, you may be able to get a card. You would have to check with Service Ontario to determine at what stage of the application process your child might qualify.
From the Ontario government website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

"You must also meet at least ONE of the following additional requirements. You:
are a Canadian citizen OR
are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act) OR
are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”) OR
have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
you have not yet been denied
"

2. You have to check with Public Health, but I think there would be a small cost.
3. Yes, when you apply for a health card, you receive a document with your health card number. This can be used until you receive your plastic card. There is currently no waiting period, so coverage would begin immediately for you and your spouse.
4. You can compare costs at several websites. Make sure to read the coverage rules carefully. Some companies may not cover young babies. A couple of websites you could check are:
https://bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/visitors-to-canada-insurance

https://arbetovinsurance.com/new-immigrants-canada-insurance/

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. Your child is not immediately eligible for OHIP, however once you apply for the child's PR, you may be able to get a card. You would have to check with Service Ontario to determine at what stage of the application process your child might qualify.
From the Ontario government website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

"You must also meet at least ONE of the following additional requirements. You:
are a Canadian citizen OR
are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act) OR
are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”) OR
have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
you have not yet been denied
"

2. You have to check with Public Health, but I think there would be a small cost.
3. Yes, when you apply for a health card, you receive a document with your health card number. This can be used until you receive your plastic card. There is currently no waiting period, so coverage would begin immediately for you and your spouse.
4. You can compare costs at several websites. Make sure to read the coverage rules carefully. Some companies may not cover young babies. A couple of websites you could check are:
https://bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/visitors-to-canada-insurance

https://arbetovinsurance.com/new-immigrants-canada-insurance/
Sponsoring a child is an outland process. They will need to wait until the child has PR until they qualify for insurance. The 3 month wait time may have returned by then. Routine well baby check-ups and vaccinations are important but are relatively affordable. Would try to find a GP accepting new patients for your family and is willing to care for your child privately and then switch to OHIP. Israel is much more advanced with ehealth records so it is important to attend the same clinic if not the same doctor.

can_asp

May 15, 2021
Thank You @canuck78 and @bryndog1950 for your responses!

I spoke to Local Public Health Unit who confirmed that, due to current COVID situation, child Immunizations have to be taken from the Doctors office. Walk in clinics are providing the same at nominal cost(without OHIP).

Though the 90 day waiting period is temporarily waived off for OHIP, we know the earliest we(PR holders) could apply for it would be the 1st business day after our quarantine ends. Should there be any medical emergencies during the quarantine period, would we have to pay from our pocket and later claim from OHIP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank You @canuck78 and @bryndog1950 for your responses!

I spoke to Local Public Health Unit who confirmed that, due to current COVID situation, child Immunizations have to be taken from the Doctors office. Walk in clinics are providing the same at nominal cost(without OHIP).

Though the 90 day waiting period is temporarily waived off for OHIP, we know the earliest we(PR holders) could apply for it would be the 1st business day after our quarantine ends. Should there be any medical emergencies during the quarantine period, would we have to pay from our pocket and later claim from OHIP?
No if you qualify for OHIP you should be able to claim any cost back to OHIP if it is after you land and the 3 month is still waived. Unless it is an emergency you won't be able to seek medical care during quarantine.