+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligibility question - already landed PR returning to Canada

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
My wife and I landed in Toronto in late June 2018 and became PRs. We left Canada in early August 2018 back to Asia to prepare for our 'serious move'. Because we did not establish residency we did not apply for OHIP during that time.

Now we are in Asia and just found out that my wife is pregnant. Due day in early July 2019. We want to return to Toronto in either February/March of 2019, and establish residence there. I know that we will have a three-month waiting period (in our case, March/April/May or even June, if I understand correctly). Because my wife might go into labor in July 2019, will she be covered by OHIP, provided that we apply right away after the three-month period?

Thanks for any insights!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She will be covered after 3 months. You will have to cover costs of any regular treatment during those 3 months. Pregnancy is an unpredictable time and woman end up in hospital for various reasons during pregnancy so best to make sure you have some savings available or arrive a bit earlier. Your wife will not qualify for maternity benefits if she has not worked for 600 hours before her delivery.

Reactions: dannyhcean

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
She will be covered after 3 months. You will have to cover costs of any regular treatment during those 3 months. Pregnancy is an unpredictable time and woman end up in hospital for various reasons during pregnancy so best to make sure you have some savings available or arrive a bit earlier. Your wife will not qualify for maternity benefits if she has not worked for 600 hours before her delivery.
Big thanks! Totally understand the uncertainty of needs for medical attention during the three-month waiting period. Then I assume after establishing our residence we need to meet these residence requirements (http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/short_absence.aspx) in order not to be back-charged for the coverage by Ontario government.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My wife and I landed in Toronto in late June 2018 and became PRs. We left Canada in early August 2018 back to Asia to prepare for our 'serious move'. Because we did not establish residency we did not apply for OHIP during that time.

Now we are in Asia and just found out that my wife is pregnant. Due day in early July 2019. We want to return to Toronto in either February/March of 2019, and establish residence there. I know that we will have a three-month waiting period (in our case, March/April/May or even June, if I understand correctly). Because my wife might go into labor in July 2019, will she be covered by OHIP, provided that we apply right away after the three-month period?

Thanks for any insights!
You should apply as soon as you have proof of your address. You still won't be covered for the first three months but your application will be in the system. You don't need to wait for the three months before you apply.

Reactions: dannyhcean

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should apply as soon as you have proof of your address. You still won't be covered for the first three months but your application will be in the system. You don't need to wait for the three months before you apply.
You can apply at any time during those 1st 3 months. It doesn't matter as long as you show you landing date. It is best to wait until you have a permanent address so don't rush in and give a friend's address or airbnb address.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Also, you should get insured for the first 90 days. Also I think you can have your wife insured if you take insurance before 32 weeks of pregnancy. I can check and give you more details. Reach out to me if you need more info.

ajapeyk

Mar 17, 2019
I am curious to know how this went because I read these terms on heath.gov ontario:

“generally you must be physically present for 153 days in the first 183 days immediately following the date residency is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residency in Ontario).”

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am curious to know how this went because I read these terms on heath.gov ontario:

“generally you must be physically present for 153 days in the first 183 days immediately following the date residency is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residency in Ontario).”
Yes these are the residency obligations. You must remain in Ontario for 153 out of the 183 days. There are separate residency obligations for healthcare. If you try to deceive the system it is healthcare fraud.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Note that in context of this thread, as explained by author, they did not (rightly) apply for OHIP during short landing.

However if one does (apply for OHIP and then leave country) and later claim benefits while not meeting residency obligations, that will be fraud.

bhanu123

Mar 25, 2019
I want to apply for OHIP but my work permit is expired. I have already applied for PR under CEC and BOWP but both the applications are still in progress.Is there a way I can apply for OHIP as I need that on urgent basis.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
I want to apply for OHIP but my work permit is expired. I have already applied for PR under CEC and BOWP but both the applications are still in progress.Is there a way I can apply for OHIP as I need that on urgent basis.
In this case, it is better to have a private insurance as per the need. Once you get the BOWP approved, you can get your OHIP back.