+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP: Didn't meet residency requirements of 153 days - What to do? Please help

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
I left Canada last year and planned to come back within a few months. Therefore, I did not apply for extended absence. However, the circumstances are such that I had to extend my stay and I now realized that over the last 12 months, I was in Ontario less than the the required minimum of 153 days; therefore, my residency obligations are not met. I met the residency requirements during the previous two years though.

The question is: What happens next when I come back?

Will I have to wait for 3 months before again becoming eligible for OHIP? My current OHIP card is still valid. Will I be eligible for COVID vaccine during these three months?
Will I have to buy a private health insurance for these three months?

Is there any specific number I can call to reach Service Ontario to explain my situation. I tried this number but it doesn't bring me to a live agent: 1-866-532-3161

Would be grateful for any advice.

Last edited:

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
Hi Rie11, i was in the same situation. I left for 4 months, then i got stuck overseas, i still am. I called them at the number 1800 267 8097 and they told me i have to write to OHIP absences in Thunder Bay. I have downloaded a form, filled it, attached a copy after my DL and passport and sent. This can be done when you come back, she said, I wanted to do it while here because I might have to do a minor surgery for which I pay private insurance from work, and for that to be valid, OHIP must be valid.
Anyways, if you stayed in ON more than 3 (or 5, I don’t recall exactly) months in the previous two years before leaving the country, they will extend it, but you have to write this letter.
I hope it helps.

Reactions: Rie11

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
Hi Rie11, i was in the same situation. I left for 4 months, then i got stuck overseas, i still am. I called them at the number 1800 267 8097 and they told me i have to write to OHIP absences in Thunder Bay. I have downloaded a form, filled it, attached a copy after my DL and passport and sent. This can be done when you come back, she said, I wanted to do it while here because I might have to do a minor surgery for which I pay private insurance from work, and for that to be valid, OHIP must be valid.
Anyways, if you stayed in ON more than 3 (or 5, I don’t recall exactly) months in the previous two years before leaving the country, they will extend it, but you have to write this letter.
I hope it helps.
Thank you so much, mrsTF, this is very helpful!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I hope it helps.
If you do return and are able to get surgery with the huge wait lists you must meet theresidency requirements for OHIP again. In general OHIP wants people to be taxpayers if they use healthcare services.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I hope it helps.
To qualify for a one time OHIP leave extension you must have been in Ontario for 153 days for the 2 prebious years before you left and return to Ontario ame spend a minimum of 153 days upon return.