Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

cecsept5

Mar 27, 2014
Hello, I need a help its a bit urgent. My wife landed yesterday from India. She has COPR and open work permit. She is in quarantine for 14 days. She feels unwell and we may have to see a doctor. Unfortunately she doesn't have ohip as of now and due to quarantine requirements she cannot go to service canada to apply for ohip. My question is-1. Can I go on her behalf to apply for her ohip and get an ohip number?
2. If she doesn't have a ohip can we go to the doc? Will it be covered backdated?

Thank you.

Rgds,
R

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, I need a help its a bit urgent. My wife landed yesterday from India. She has COPR and open work permit. She is in quarantine for 14 days. She feels unwell and we may have to see a doctor. Unfortunately she doesn't have ohip as of now and due to quarantine requirements she cannot go to service canada to apply for ohip. My question is-1. Can I go on her behalf to apply for her ohip and get an ohip number?
2. If she doesn't have a ohip can we go to the doc? Will it be covered backdated?

Thank you.

Rgds,
R
Have you talked to your family doctor to get any advice? In BC, I would call the 811 number for advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you.

Rgds,
R
Did she land as a PR or on an OWP? No you can’t go to service Ontario on her behalf. What is your status? If you are a PR and she has an OWP she doesn’t qualify for OHIP unless she has proof of a job where she will be working for over 6 months. Does she have covid? She can’t just go to the doctor she is in quarantine. If she needs to go to the doctor you should be calling public health unless it is an emergency and you can call 911.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thank you.

Rgds,
R
Can you clarified? It doesn't make sense that she has both COPR (landing as a PR) and OWP (open work permit). If she has landed as PR, I think they can work it out with her OHIP. Otherwise, she won't be covered.

Since she is still in her quaratine period, she needs to call the number on her quaratine form for any emergency. They may need to have special arrangement to transport her to emergency if it's really serious. (no family doctor visit). Not sure if ontario has 811 as health hotline.
Good luck.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
An ambulance trip is not free so if it isn’t an emergency I would call public health for instructions since she is quarantine and you may also be in quarantine with her which means that special care must be taken.