+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Coverage for Sponsored Spouse

Mar 2, 2020
Good Evening All,

At what stage, if any, of the spousal sponsorship application is the principal applicant (sponsored) eligible to apply for OHIP coverage?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good Evening All,

At what stage, if any, of the spousal sponsorship application is the principal applicant (sponsored) eligible to apply for OHIP coverage?

Thanks!
Once you have an OWP and a job.

Mar 2, 2020
Job must last at least 6 months to qualify for OHIP. Also will qualify at the AIP stage if applied inland. That is the stage right before approval.
Thank you. Does AIP stand for Application In Progress? Also, if inland, is a job offer or a job no longer required if the applicant is in AIP stage?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you. Does AIP stand for Application In Progress? Also, if inland, is a job offer or a job no longer required if the applicant is in AIP stage?
AIP stands for approval in principle. It's basically all done except the final paper work. Back a few years ago, we got AIP about a month before we got the landing interview request. (we applied inland and back then all inland has a landing interview to give out COPR)

Reactions: canuck78

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
AIP = Approved In Principle

And yes about being eligible for OHIP once AIP has been granted. Job status, or lack thereof, is irrelevant at that point (some Inland people don't apply for an OWP but obviously still need OHIP).

Last edited:

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
AIP stands for approval in principle. It's basically all done except the final paper work. Back a few years ago, we got AIP about a month before we got the landing interview request. (we applied inland and back then all inland has a landing interview to give out COPR)
AIP mean approved in principle. Basically the sponsor passed requirement to sponsor and now will focus on the applicant. It doesn't mean it's almost over. The focus is on the applicant side. Make sure all the information is correct, no fraud documents, no misrepresentation, ask for police record if needed, medical record, no signs of marriage of convenience, etc etc. Basically go over the applicant's info to make sure it is genuine marriage and relationship.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
AIP mean approved in principle. Basically the sponsor passed requirement to sponsor and now will focus on the applicant. It doesn't mean it's almost over. The focus is on the applicant side. Make sure all the information is correct, no fraud documents, no misrepresentation, ask for police record if needed, medical record, no signs of marriage of convenience, etc etc. Basically go over the applicant's info to make sure it is genuine marriage and relationship.
AIP indeed was at the very end of our application (at least it was back in 2016) or so. It was beore the OWP pilot project was available for inland application and we couldn't apply for OWP until we reach AIP. And it's pretty much useless because it so close to the actual interview/landing day.

If you check recent spreadsheet for inland spousal sponsorship, the date of AIP for most application is close to approval as well. It may be different for other immigration route but OP is applying inland spousal.

Last edited:

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Like some people already said, its either:

1) when you get AIP (for a lot of people this is very close to getting their PR, so expect this by the end of the application); or
2) when you get an OWP and a full-time job that will last for at least 6 months. You don't need to wait 6 months in the job to apply, but in your contract or job letter it should be explained that this is an indefinite contract (or your employer can specify that they will occupy you for more than 6 months).. with that proof you can apply right away.

If you have a full-time job lined up, option 2) would happen much earlier than 1).

Reactions: PaoTalamantesh

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are confusing two different things. AIP is not proof the sponsor is ellgible to sponsor a spouse. As others have said AIP is right before COPR.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
You are confusing two different things. AIP is not proof the sponsor is ellgible to sponsor a spouse. As others have said AIP is right before COPR.
I have received a decision made as a sponsor and then at the same time, my wife received AIP. So I took that once you get approved as a sponsor, meaning that you are actually qualified to sponsor, AIP is then granted to the applicant. This is speaking from experience and to be honest makes the most sense. The applicant would not be able to qualify for PR sponsorship (AIP) if the sponsor is not qualified in the first place. So how can the applicant receive AIP if the sponsor did not qualify, in the first place. What do you think (AIP) means Approved in "Principle". To me, Approved in Principle basically saying yes, your spouse qualified to be a sponsored PR since the spouse is approved as a sponsor, BUT we need to verify all the applicant's info, documents, medical, police reports etc first and then make a decision on your spouse. Once my wife gotten AIP, I was shut out on the inquiry on my wife's application. Prior to AIP, I was able to determine the status of the application until AIP was issued. IRCC would not speak to me as a sponsor but only to my wife as an applicant. The focus at that point was on the applicant. I have received a DM as a sponsor in Feb and my wife also received her AIP in Feb, same time, same day followed by a DM on her application 1.5 month later. During the 1.5 month after AIP, IRCC was pretty much examining the applicant's side of the process. This is where COPR is pretty much made, waiting inland appointment to be signed in person, 3 month later after DM. As I said earlier, I was speaking from experience and my interpretation and understanding of AIP process.

Last edited:

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Speaking of OWP, is the OWP finally closed? No more extension of the OWP pilot program? I haven't been keeping up with the OWP pilot program but heard that OWP pilot was not extended. This year was the last year of the OWP pilot. Is this true?

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
I have received a decision made as a sponsor and then at the same time, my wife received AIP. So I took that once you get approved as a sponsor, meaning that you are actually qualified to sponsor, AIP is then granted to the applicant. This is speaking from experience and to be honest makes the most sense. The applicant would not be able to qualify for PR sponsorship (AIP) if the sponsor is not qualified in the first place. So how can the applicant receive AIP if the sponsor did not qualify, in the first place. What do you think (AIP) means Approved in "Principle". To me, Approved in Principle basically saying yes, your spouse qualified to be a sponsored PR since the spouse is approved as a sponsor, BUT we need to verify all the applicant's info, documents, medical, police reports etc first and then make a decision on your spouse. Once my wife gotten AIP, I was shut out on the inquiry on my wife's application. Prior to AIP, I was able to determine the status of the application until AIP was issued. IRCC would not speak to me as a sponsor but only to my wife as an applicant. The focus at that point was on the applicant. I have received a DM as a sponsor in Feb and my wife also received her AIP in Feb, same time, same day followed by a DM on her application 1.5 month later. During the 1.5 month after AIP, IRCC was pretty much examining the applicant's side of the process. This is where COPR is pretty much made, waiting inland appointment to be signed in person, 3 month later after DM. As I said earlier, I was speaking from experience and my interpretation and understanding of AIP process.
They tend to come together (AIP and SA,)but they are part of a different process: SA is part of the sponsor process, to show the sponsor is eligible; AIP is part of the permanent residence application of the principal applicant. Most of the process (before or after SA) is focused on the Principal Applicant side.

In any case, for the original question, AIP is the important one.