+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP coverage for non-PR immigrant

Jul 11, 2017
Hello, thanks ahead for taking the time to read this.

My girlfriend is from Taiwan and she has been here in Ontario for quite some time, 2 and half years. 1 Year on a tourist visa and now shes at the end of a work permit. We have been blessed and now she is pregnant, and we aren't as prepared as I'd like to be. I'm going to marry her and we want to have the baby here in Canada but I'm worried it will be difficult to get her OHIP coverage. I read online that to apply for health card you need:

"Written confirmation from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada that you are eligible to apply for permanent residence"

I'm going to call the toll free number to ask questions and figure out what we can do but I figured maybe someone on here could have some first hand experience.

Bless you,
Thanks for your time.
Marshall

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to actually submit the sponsorship application (go with inland) in order to get the confirmation. To sponsor her, you need to either be married or common law. Common law means you have lived together for at least one year continuously and can prove it. I would recommend you post any further questions to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. Her situation is certainly complicated by the fact she is already pregnant (this means she can't complete the medical that's required to finish the PR process).