+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP - child born outside Canada

lalli777

Feb 1, 2017
Hi,

My partner and I (both Canadian citizens, born in Canada) and our 18-month old daughter are moving from the US back to Canada. Our daughter was born in the US, and we are wondering what the quickest way to get her OHIP coverage is. My understanding is that she is a Canadian citizen and just needs to apply for a citizenship certificate, but it looks like the processing time is 5 months. Does anyone know if they will provide a letter that indicates she meets the eligibility requirements, so we can apply for OHIP for her before she gets the certificate? Or if there is a quicker way to get coverage....

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
She will need 1 of the proofs from this "List 1":http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/014-9998E-82~1/$File/9998-82E.pdf
Valid Canadian Passport or Canadian Passport
expired not more than five years
• Birth Certificate from a Canadian province or
territory (issued under the Vital Statistics Act)
• Canadian Certificate of Registration
of Birth Abroad
• Certified Statement of Live Birth from a
Canadian province or territory
• Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or
Certificate of Naturalization (paper document
or card, not commemorative issue)

I'm not sure what other documents you could possibly get in lieu of these, that would satisfy the OHIP office she is Canadian when you try to register her.

Regardless, all of you will need to wait full 3 months before you're eligible for OHIP coverage anyways. There is no need to register early, so perhaps you will manage to get an acceptable document during this time. In hindsight you could have applied for her citizenship docs 18 months ago which would have made things easier!

If by some chance you simply can't get suitable documentation to apply for her OHIP during the first 3 months, I believe that eventually when she does get the correct documents OHIP will back-date the coverage meaning any medical expenses incurred during the time she should have qualified, would be reimbursed to you.

Make sure all of you have adequate travel emergency medical insurance to cover you during the 3 months waiting period.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Check this link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/urgent-proof.asp

You/your child is entitled to urgent processing for a citizenship certificate:
"You need a citizenship certificate to access benefits like a pension, a Social Insurance Number, or health care."