+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP approval

zheka

Star Member
Jul 17, 2017
Hello.
I understand that currently there is no 3-month waiting period for OHIP. But on the ServiceOntario website it states:

You need to apply and, once you’re approved, you’ll get an Ontario health card.
Does it mean that one has to wait some time after the application to get the actual coverage (not the card, I am aware it takes time for it to arrive)? Should a newcomer get private insurance for some time waiting for this approval? How long might it be? Or it is "approved" right away (assuming all the docs are OK)?

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
Hello.
I understand that currently there is no 3-month waiting period for OHIP. But on the ServiceOntario website it states:

Does it mean that one has to wait some time after the application to get the actual coverage (not the card, I am aware it takes time for it to arrive)? Should a newcomer get private insurance for some time waiting for this approval? How long might it be? Or it is "approved" right away (assuming all the docs are OK)?
Assuming all documentation is ok, approval and coverage are immediate. Service Ontario will print a temporary document that you can use until you receive the plastic card. This document has your health insurance number on it.

Reactions: zheka