+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP application: WHat do they mean by "take up permanent residence in Ontario"?

hemlockmark

Jun 15, 2016
Hi.

Part B of the OHIP application asks "when did you take up permanent residence in Ontario?"

I've stayed in my apartment here in Ontario for 12 months (since September of 2016) as a guest. But it was ONLY one week ago that I obtained my permanent residence.

How might I answer that question?

Thankful always...

thetwins1990

Mar 8, 2019
what happens if im in work permit, I do qualify for OHIP, but im, not a PR yet, im waiting for IRCC, i currently hold my Open work permit and my SIN. i went to Services Ontario and they told i can apply for the OHIP, but i don't know what to answer on that question since im, not a permanent resident yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
what happens if im in work permit, I do qualify for OHIP, but im, not a PR yet, im waiting for IRCC, i currently hold my Open work permit and my SIN. i went to Services Ontario and they told i can apply for the OHIP, but i don't know what to answer on that question since im, not a permanent resident yet.
You have to provide a letter from your employer indicating you will be employed for over 6 months. Sample letter can be found on the forum. Once you apply there is a 3 month waiting period before your coverage starts.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You put the date that you moved to Ontario. It doesn't matter that you are not a PR.

Reactions: thetwins1990

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You have to provide a letter from your employer indicating you will be employed for over 6 months. Sample letter can be found on the forum. Once you apply there is a 3 month waiting period before your coverage starts.
The 3 month wait period starts from the day a person qualifies for coverage, not 3 months from the date of applying.

Reactions: canuck78

thetwins1990

Mar 8, 2019
You put the date that you moved to Ontario. It doesn't matter that you are not a PR.
Thanks, ok so i entered to ontario from my home country so i just enter the same day ? is confusing since i came first as a visitor, that does not affect the answer on the form ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, ok so i entered to ontario from my home country so i just enter the same day ? is confusing since i came first as a visitor, that does not affect the answer on the form ?
The day you started working in a job that would last for at least 6 months would be when your 3 months wait time would start. Your start date needs to be in the letter. Please look up the information on the forum on what need to be contained in the letter.