+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Absence greater than 7 months

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Hello,

I came to Ontario, Canada in September 2012 as temporary worker and got my OHIP in January 2013. I became a PR on October 2014. I stayed in Ontario, Canada continuously from September 2012 to May 2017 with short absences of less than a month every year for vacations to visit family.

In May 2017 I left Canada to accompany my wife in Germany. My wife got her PR in January 2017 but had to leave soon after so she didn't maintain her OHIP requirements. My wife works for the United Nations and has diplomatic status.

I was hoping to come back to Ontario, Canada in November but now looks like I might be in Germany until February. This means an absence greater than 7 months. Is it possible to use my wife's diplomatic status to ask for an extension on the absence allowed? I will come to Canada for a short trip in December so I could visit a Service Ontario office to inquire. My PR is valid and also have met the requirements to maintain my PR. If not, I would just have to buy private insurance and wait for another 3 months when I get back to Canada.

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You would only qualify if your wife was sent to work at the UN by the Canadian government. Otherwise you will have wait the 3 months.

ski

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks. I have been calculating the exact number of days I spent in Ontario in 2017 and it comes to 132 days. If I come back to Canada in December and spend the entire month, I would cross 153 days. But if I leave soon after that, how does that affect the residence requirement? Is it 153 days in a calendar year? They say in any 12 month period. So if I spend another 2 months away, I would still end up falling short if I calculate from May 2017 when I left Canada.

Thanks again.