+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP 153 Stay Period - Traveling For Work

Apr 28, 2019
I am moving back to Ontario, Canada (I'm a citizen) and am aware of the 3 month wait period for OHIP and the 153 day stay period over an 183 day period after getting OHIP. While I'm moving, I will be keeping my current job which requires me to travel 1-2 weeks per month. Is there a way to satisfy the 153 day stay period if my job requires me to travel? Or do I satisfy the 153 day period as long as my only residence remains in Ontario Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is contingent on you being classified as a mobile worker. It doesn’t really sound like you are a mobile worker and more that you are keeping your job in the US and working for your US employer. I assume you still have your work permit or got a green card or citizenship. Mobile workers usually don’t continue working at their same job when they relocate to Canada and only visit one location indefinitely. In reality you are working for your US employer and not meeting the residency requirement to receive OHIP. Your job doesn’t actually require you to travel it is your decision to structure it this way. Given the amount of time you will be spending in the US you will have to keep your US health coverage.

Apr 28, 2019
I should have been more clear. I will be continuing my employment but I will be moving my primary place of employment to my employer's office in Toronto. My need to travel is to visit clients in Europe. I will not be frequently traveling to my employer location in the US since I will not be working out of the US office.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
up To the OHIP office to depend if you are a mobile worker. Will all depend on how much time you expect to stay in Ontario. If you are gone so much I assume your employer is providing an international medical insurance policy.