+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Office attire during winter

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Hi all

Just wondering, what do people wear as office attire during harsh winters?

My job requires me to dress pretty formal (as most office jobs I guess).

For instance do people wear boots instead of formal shoes - that might not be very suitable for snow/cold conditions?
Are there any codes of what is accepted/what is not?

Appreciate any experience feedback,
matt

johnsyk

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-4-2017
AOR Received.
10-4-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-4-2017
Good question! I always wondered this myself. Boots wont look nice with a suit in the snow. LOL

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
You would wear boots to get you through the snow but bring (or leave at work) shoes to change into once you get indoors. A heavy coat, hat, scarf and gloves/mittens to keep warm are all normal winter wear.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
If you work indoors, you will wear regular work clothes in the office. All the offices are well heated so this is not an issue. Most people wear a heavy coat and sometimes boots for travelling (as needed). Most offices have closets for coats in winter. You may have to carry your work (indoor shoes with you to and from work). Some employers provide lockers.

If you work outdoors or travel to clients, you wear travel attire (winter) and when you get there take your coat off at destination. If you are visiting private homes as part of your job, it is considered courteous to take shoes off at the door. Some businesses will also require you to take boots off when you enter their premises.

If you move around on ice, even from and to work, you would probably want to attach a pair of ice cleats to your shoes or boots.

Canadian winters are fun.... ish. Good luck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all

Just wondering, what do people wear as office attire during harsh winters?

My job requires me to dress pretty formal (as most office jobs I guess).

For instance do people wear boots instead of formal shoes - that might not be very suitable for snow/cold conditions?
Are there any codes of what is accepted/what is not?

Appreciate any experience feedback,
matt
You wear the same thing you do the rest of the year. You come to work in boots and a coat - take them off once you're at work - and change into the shoes you'll wear at the office.

Reactions: duyguu

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on the sector you are working in the dress code in Canada can range from quite formal to very casual. Most offices fall somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: ThenmozhiGv

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
During snow storm periods, are employers a bit more "cool" with employees being late at work (at least the first month or so)?

It's not in my habits to be late (I work in Japan) but I'm wondering how it will be with let's say with a huge amount of snow in front of the door etc..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No they expect people to watch the weather and leave earlier. Depending on what part of the country you are settling in if there is a huge storm and it might be dangerous to commute or the public transportation isn't working some offices allow employees to work from home.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible to be cool about lateness if:
1 the situation is critical and causing lot of traffic jams (for example too much snow and the roads were not maintained, so even with taking in account winter conditions you are not able to make it.
Or if there was sudden accident which caused you being blocked in your transportation mean.
Anyway in case of these exceptional conditions, always call your employer and let them know.
But in normal winter conditions, you should add transportation time to your calculations (what took 10 mins on roads in the summer can now take 20 mins on roads in winter condition).

Reactions: mattjp1

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
It is possible to be cool about lateness if:
1 the situation is critical and causing lot of traffic jams (for example too much snow and the roads were not maintained, so even with taking in account winter conditions you are not able to make it.
Or if there was sudden accident which caused you being blocked in your transportation mean.
Anyway in case of these exceptional conditions, always call your employer and let them know.
But in normal winter conditions, you should add transportation time to your calculations (what took 10 mins on roads in the summer can now take 20 mins on roads in winter condition).
Thanks for the tips - yes I was talking about special situations. Normal winter conditions should be OK.

Reactions: ThenmozhiGv