+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ODD JOB OPPORTUNITIES IN VANCOUVER AND VICTORIA?

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
hi
i am planning to do a hospitality course from royal roads victoria or a college in vancouver.

i intend to start in the spring intake

what is the average student cost of living in vancouver and victoria?

what is the scope for ODD job opportunities for indian students at cafes, factories, farms and other minimum wages jobs? Do these cities have ample or few job opportunities?

Please help me with this problem, Because it is already late, i want to start my admission process as soon as possible .

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
living expenses will depend on the locality you live in....

If you want to live in proper vancouver, its stupid expensive. You can move away from the vancouver core into suburbs like burnaby, coquitlam etc and pay less. General rule of thumb is the farther you live from the town core, cheaper it gets. Luckily, transport options are good in Vancouver. So you can live as far as surrey and still take a 20 minute train ride into downtown vancouver.

Royal roads is away from the victoria town core, so you can easily find way cheaper accomodation within walking distance to the university.

As far as jobs are concerned, it will depend on the hours you are allowed to work legally and if you get a work permit. You will need a social insurance number to work and you need a valid work permit to apply for a SIN.

Vancouver being a big city will have more job opportunities as compared to victoria. the economy is in a $hit-hole as it is, so its harder to find entry level jobs.

Good Luck

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
thanks for the reply......

i mean minimum wages jobs in factories,farms, cafes,departmental stores.

are there ample of such jobs? A student can work for 20 hours per week - 90 hours in a month.

is it possible to manage expenses like accomodation,travel,food through these jobs.

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
do you have any idea about how much does a students monthly expense for food,travel,accomodation come upto?

university website states that it is about 1500$ per month

but some students have told me that they manage in 1000$ without being too stingy

All the above questions are for vancouver

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Victoria has a smaller job market than vancouver, so it will be easier to find part time jobs in vancouver (but no guarantees as you will be competing with canadian students).

As far as living expenses are concerned, the biggest chunk of your monthly expenses will be going towards your rent. Rent will depend on the kind of accomodation you live in. Shared accomodation is best where you can share a house/ apartment with others. You would have your own room but share kitchen and bathroom and some bills (like tv, internet, electricity etc).

Look for places away from the vancouver downtown core as its really expensive, even in a shared accomodation. You can easily find a place in burnaby or coquitlam for much cheaper, even surrey and commute to vancouver on the train.

food and other expenses you can easily tailor to your means.

It will be tough in the beginning so i wouldnt count on working your way to pay for living expenses, atleast not for the first little while. But not saying it cannot be done, it just takes time for things to get sorted. Dont expect to get here and get a job the first day.

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
HEY THANKS A LOT DUDE , I HAVE BEEN ON THIS BLOG FOR MORE THAN 3 MONTHS- U R THE FIRST PERSON TO GIVE AN IDEA ABOUT RENT IN VANCOUVER.

CAN YOU TELL - HOW MUCH IS THE RENT IN DOWNTOWN AND ADJOINING AREAS LIKE SURREY,BURNABY,ETC FOR A 1 BHK ?

HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN STAY EASILY IN IT?

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anuj_juneja2005 said:
HEY THANKS A LOT DUDE , I HAVE BEEN ON THIS BLOG FOR MORE THAN 3 MONTHS- U R THE FIRST PERSON TO GIVE AN IDEA ABOUT RENT IN VANCOUVER.

CAN YOU TELL - HOW MUCH IS THE RENT IN DOWNTOWN AND ADJOINING AREAS LIKE SURREY,BURNABY,ETC FOR A 1 BHK ?

HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN STAY EASILY IN IT?
No idea... check craigslist vancouver

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
ok will do that.

do you have any idea about capilano university? is it a good university?

this is my programme:

http://www.capilanou.ca/business/diploma-graduate-inter-man/International-Management-Graduate-Diploma/

any information about the programme and university will be very helpful

do you know any website to get information about universities?

Thank You

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anuj_juneja2005 said:
ok will do that.

do you have any idea about capilano university? is it a good university?

this is my programme:

http://www.capilanou.ca/business/diploma-graduate-inter-man/International-Management-Graduate-Diploma/

any information about the programme and university will be very helpful

do you know any website to get information about universities?

Thank You
I think it used to be a college, upgraded to a "university" by offering 4 year degree programs, very much like VIU.

As for the program, not sure. Its a diploma in business, that's about it. I've never been into business studies, so not sure. What exactly is International Business Management? Surely, you don't expect to manage an international business after doing this 1 year diploma? (unless you own the business). It's probably a little upgrade on your previous degree in business. But does not sound too promising. specially since they quote stats on people taking post secondary education. I just dont see the point of throwing those stats in the course description.

As for searching other places, google is your best friend.

in my opinion, you cant get a good education from a reputable university for a bargain price. You can either get an ok education from an ok school for cheap or you can go to a known university but it wont be cheap.

why not look to do a masters?

I'm sure others in the forum can give their input if you ask for advice. In the end though, do what you feel is a good choice for you.