+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 2021 - Citizenship Applications

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
Ah so bring forward is the same as due dates? Mine always pass without any progress. Next one is in a few days.

I'm waiting on the outcome of urgent processing. My MP recently confirmed that it's been received but no decision made on it. Why should I have to go through my MP to get information (and besides, my MPs office is reluctant to help)?
I don’t think you HAVE to. I think agents can see the info, but I don’t think most agents bother to help. It appears to me that most don’t even bother to review the notes for more than a couple of minutes.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I don’t think you HAVE to. I think agents can see the info, but I don’t think most agents bother to help. It appears to me that most don’t even bother to review the notes for more than a couple of minutes.
What you say is true but agents don’t have access to Urgent processing outcome. Unless there is specifically an officer note stating it. Even the local office refuses to confirm by email. Somehow the MP was able to get this info.

Reactions: Wacky1.nash

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Its exactly 20 months from the day I sent the

Thanks, I hope you see progress next week. You were ahead of me. Do you think the urgent process request put you out of the regular line ?
No, perhaps my file is complex. Urgent request hasn't been looked at yet.

Yvr2022

Feb 21, 2022
No, perhaps my file is complex. Urgent request hasn't been looked at yet.
Hi, I think it really depends on the officer. I was a homemaker for most of my eligibility period and I travelled extensively even stayed out of canada for almost a year on 1 of my trips. I was asked to submit my passport pages, fingerprints from RCMP, fingerprints from the country I stayed for almost a year during my trip and was also scheduled for an interview but the officer was very nice, informative and very patient explaining all I needed to know. My file took little less than 17 months from when I submitted the application to oath ceremony. I really hope everything will work out you will get your oath soon.

Tom0712

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hi all,
I've been a silent reader. Below is mytimeline

Oct 22, 2021Applied for Citizenship
Jan 17, 2022AOR
July 20, 2022Background updated to completed
February 17, 2023Citizenship test instructions received, test period Feb 24 - Mar 16
February 24, 2023Took the test
February 27, 2023Citizenship updated to completed
May 5, 2023Language, Physical, Prohibitions updated to completed
May 11, 2023Scheduled for citizenship oath on May 26.

It's quite a long journey, I did call CIC once and requested GMCS notes once (I haven't received it).

Also, I just wanted to share that each journey is different and we might be sitting on fire, but to CIC, we are just an applicant, no more, no less. Things can happen and we, indeed, have been waiting longer than a lot of people. I also believe that bugging people every month, ordering GMCS notes monthly doesn't really help anyone at the end of the day. Maybe, they actually have to do extra steps to generate the notes and it ends up slowing us and other applicants down as well.

Be patient and try to distract yourselves with other work/activities. We will get there, but please don't be annoying as we wouldn't have wanted to deal with this if we were working for CIC.

That's my 2-cent input :p

Cheers

Reactions: forw.jane

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
Hi all,
I've been a silent reader. Below is mytimeline

Oct 22, 2021Applied for Citizenship
Jan 17, 2022AOR
July 20, 2022Background updated to completed
February 17, 2023Citizenship test instructions received, test period Feb 24 - Mar 16
February 24, 2023Took the test
February 27, 2023Citizenship updated to completed
May 5, 2023Language, Physical, Prohibitions updated to completed
May 11, 2023Scheduled for citizenship oath on May 26.

It's quite a long journey, I did call CIC once and requested GMCS notes once (I haven't received it).

Also, I just wanted to share that each journey is different and we might be sitting on fire, but to CIC, we are just an applicant, no more, no less. Things can happen and we, indeed, have been waiting longer than a lot of people. I also believe that bugging people every month, ordering GMCS notes monthly doesn't really help anyone at the end of the day. Maybe, they actually have to do extra steps to generate the notes and it ends up slowing us and other applicants down as well.

Be patient and try to distract yourselves with other work/activities. We will get there, but please don't be annoying as we wouldn't have wanted to deal with this if we were working for CIC.

That's my 2-cent input :p

Cheers
Congratulations on your Oath! Your wait was certainly longer than average. Can you advise at which office your application was processed?

Regarding the rest of your post, in the past I may have agreed with you, especially when it comes to citizenship applications, most applicants can very easily afford to wait for the approval. When situation is genuinely urgent, there is a half-decent path through urgent processing.

However, there are certainly situations where IRCC just lets applications gather dust for no reason, and in those cases, prodding them is NECESSARY to get things moving. I also submitted my application in Oct 2021. I didn't need them to process my application within 6 months or 12 months or even 15 months. I was happy to wait for 3.5 years... I didn't contact them at all the first 9 months... I did check in in the 10th month, because I saw no progress at all since I submitted, and that was not really normal. It was only after multiple attempts of prodding them that I finally got my first sign of progress - a fingerprints request in the 19th month (which they recognised to be required 11 months ago as per my GCMS notes). Then I got a request to provide a Canadian address 19 months after I applied and 11 months after IRCC recognised they required that from me. I also found out they put my file on hold due to not having this address. Never mind the easy solution of just asking me for what they needed. Also never mind the many times I reached out to them I specifically asked them if they needed a Canadian address and whether they needed anything at all from me, and the answer was always "NO."

When an organisation and its employees do their job at least to a reasonable degree, I would agree with what you are saying. I went through immigration in the US and also work/ tourist visas in other countries. Everywhere, I agree, allow them time to just work on your application. Unfortunately IRCC takes our tax dollars and does NOT do their job.

In some cases, they very much require some Hand Holding.

Last edited:

dream11

Dec 16, 2017
Wife (who was waiting for background completion till Feb 25 2023, LPP was pending) gets a random call from IRCC to validate address. She confirmed and in 2 days, LPP completes. Now waiting for Oath