Alberta
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
08-10-2019
Finally a citizen whoohooo...
As promised I will brief you on my procedure. I was selected to attend a pilot program by IRCC to receive a PDF certificate instead of a paper one in the mail (called E-Certificate) which will be available to download for life after becoming citizen. My file was randomly selected and the option to opt in was asked in my TEST INVITE email with a document explaining what is E-Certificate. I replied to the email and requested to opt in to the pilot program.
After I was scheduled for the oath ceremony, they sent a separate email for the instructions how to signup in a special portal to be able to download the E-Certificate. I signed up before the ceremony but I couldn't download the certificate (obviously :D).
The ceremony was fairly easy and quick, we were only around 50 people and this ceremony was held ONLY for the people who had opted in for the E-Certificate pilot program. We were the first group of citizens in Canada who received E-Certificates (feels kind of special lol).
After the ceremony they mentioned we will be able to download the E-Certificates 2-5 days after sending the signed Oath Affirmation pdf. They sent us an email right after the ceremony and they asked us to reply to that email and attached the signed affirmation form.
I requested in the Oath affirmation submission email to make my certificate available ASAP since I am going to travel soon. It was available to download 1 hour after I replied to the email (Wohhooo that was super fast).
I also applied for the passport today (the day after the ceremony) and I will be able to pickup the passport on Nov 4.
Please update my file in the tracker.
Best of luck to all the new, and soon to be Canadian citizens.

Here is my full timeline (also in my signature):

Application Type -------------------------------------------------------------- Online
Certificate Type --------------------------------------------------------------- E-certificate
Location ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ottawa
Office -------------------------------------------------------------------------- NIAGARA FALLS
Citizenship Applied ----------------------------------------------------------- Oct 03, 2021
Citizenship AOR --------------------------------------------------------------- Dec 21, 2021
GCMS Notes requested ------------------------------------------------------- Jun 8, 2022
Ghost Update ----------------------------------------------------------------- Jun 13, 2022
Background Verification Completed ----------------------------------------- Jun 15, 2022
Test Invitation (July 4-24 window) -------------------------------------------- Jun 29, 2022
Test Taken (20/20) ----------------------------------------------------- ------- July 04, 2022
Test Status Updated to Complete -------------------------------------------- July 05 2022
Physical Presence, Language, Prohibitions to Complete -------------------- August 03, 2022
Oath updated to "In Progress" ----------------------------------------------- September 28, 2022
Online Certificate Procedure Email ------------------------------------------- September 29, 2022
Oath Procedure Email -------------------------------------------------------- October 3, 2022
Oath Ceremony --------------------------------------------------------------- October 20, 2022
E-Certificate available to download ------------------------------------------ October 20, 2022 (1 hour after Oath affirmation submission)
Passport Applied (non urgent, in person via printed e-certificate) --------- October 21, 2022
Passport Pickup Date --------------------------------------------------------- November 4, 2022 (10 business days after applied)
Congratulations

Reactions: atzquebec

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2015
AOR Received.
26/02/2016 OWP 30-09-2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
LANDED..........
02-02-2017
I received a letter from my MP congratulating me on my citizenship. Is that the norm?
When I saw the envelope I thought it was my passport... Hopefully soon!
Anyway, the letter is a nice touch and came in a nicer binder than the official citizenship certificate!

Reactions: mashcan

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I received a letter from my MP congratulating me on my citizenship. Is that the norm?
When I saw the envelope I thought it was my passport... Hopefully soon!
Anyway, the letter is a nice touch and came in a nicer binder than the official citizenship certificate!
When you submit your application there is authorization question for IRCC to forward your name to the MP to send a letter of congratulation. You would have said "Yes" for that.

Reactions: km9203

Tara533

Star Member
Jul 9, 2019
As promised I will brief you on my procedure. I was selected to attend a pilot program by IRCC to receive a PDF certificate instead of a paper one in the mail (called E-Certificate) which will be available to download for life after becoming citizen. My file was randomly selected and the option to opt in was asked in my TEST INVITE email with a document explaining what is E-Certificate. I replied to the email and requested to opt in to the pilot program.
After I was scheduled for the oath ceremony, they sent a separate email for the instructions how to signup in a special portal to be able to download the E-Certificate. I signed up before the ceremony but I couldn't download the certificate (obviously :D).
The ceremony was fairly easy and quick, we were only around 50 people and this ceremony was held ONLY for the people who had opted in for the E-Certificate pilot program. We were the first group of citizens in Canada who received E-Certificates (feels kind of special lol).
After the ceremony they mentioned we will be able to download the E-Certificates 2-5 days after sending the signed Oath Affirmation pdf. They sent us an email right after the ceremony and they asked us to reply to that email and attached the signed affirmation form.
I requested in the Oath affirmation submission email to make my certificate available ASAP since I am going to travel soon. It was available to download 1 hour after I replied to the email (Wohhooo that was super fast).
I also applied for the passport today (the day after the ceremony) and I will be able to pickup the passport on Nov 4.

Application Type -------------------------------------------------------------- Online
Certificate Type --------------------------------------------------------------- E-certificate
Location ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ottawa
Office -------------------------------------------------------------------------- NIAGARA FALLS
Citizenship Applied ----------------------------------------------------------- Oct 03, 2021
Citizenship AOR --------------------------------------------------------------- Dec 21, 2021
GCMS Notes requested ------------------------------------------------------- Jun 8, 2022
Ghost Update ----------------------------------------------------------------- Jun 13, 2022
Background Verification Completed ----------------------------------------- Jun 15, 2022
Test Invitation (July 4-24 window) -------------------------------------------- Jun 29, 2022
Test Taken (20/20) ----------------------------------------------------- ------- July 04, 2022
Test Status Updated to Complete -------------------------------------------- July 05 2022
Physical Presence, Language, Prohibitions to Complete -------------------- August 03, 2022
Oath updated to "In Progress" ----------------------------------------------- September 28, 2022
Online Certificate Procedure Email ------------------------------------------- September 29, 2022
Oath Procedure Email -------------------------------------------------------- October 3, 2022
Oath Ceremony --------------------------------------------------------------- October 20, 2022
E-Certificate available to download ------------------------------------------ October 20, 2022 (1 hour after Oath affirmation submission)
Passport Applied (non urgent, in person via printed e-certificate) --------- October 21, 2022
Passport Pickup Date --------------------------------------------------------- November 4, 2022 (10 business days after applied)
Congratulations

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
It is special, Indeed! Congratulations, and glad you had a quick timeline

Reactions: mashcan

xt86

Star Member
Jun 14, 2021

e-certif ? why ?? Maybe some passport offices will accept that, some might not. Canadian embassies probably won't. CBSA might also not accept that as a proof of citizenship. Since they probably don't have the tech to verify the E ceritficate, it's basically only as good as a photocopy of a paper certificate.

kadjajsd

Star Member
May 3, 2020
im getting depressed :( 3 months since background check and test completed and nothing. its over 1 year now.
I thought processing time for Canadian citizenship is 1 year?
Is it just me who is stuck in this phase?

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
e-certif ? why ?? Maybe some passport offices will accept that, some might not. Canadian embassies probably won't. CBSA might also not accept that as a proof of citizenship. Since they probably don't have the tech to verify the E ceritficate, it's basically only as good as a photocopy of a paper certificate.
I wish I had your confidence to be blatantly wrong and still post on here. What makes you think that something that the IRCC is doing won't be accepted by their partners at the embassies and CBSA?

snape

Jul 2, 2022
Montreal
Visa Office......
Montreal
You can try writing to your office, the email address should have your office name or abbreviation (like SCR). If your test invite came from a generic email that might not help.

Also, I believe a lot of Toronto/GTA applications are sent to Niagara Falls at some point after the test or DM (not sure exatcly at what point). You might be better off finding out which office has your application first. You can find that out by calling the IRCC help center (using the steps provided in other posts). If you already know for sure which office it is, you don't have to do this.

Whichever office it is, you can write to them. There's no specific format. You just need to include your full name, UCI and application # (and may be Date of Birth as well) and pretty much tell them what you said here that you are an October 2021 applicant, it's been three months since your test and asking if there is any progress.
Is the office email the same as the sender of the test invite? I.e IRCC.DNCenMTLConvoEapp-EappConvoMTLCenDN.IRCC@cic.gc.ca