+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 2021 - Citizenship Applications

Summer50

May 6, 2018
My wife got her background verification complete on Feb 9th. I got two ghost updates on Feb 4th and Feb 9th, but still BG is in progress! isn't it weird ?

File submitted: Oct 23, 2021
AOR: Jan 11th, 2022
Do you get an email for each update? or you just have to login to your profile to see the progress?

mohoozee

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Unfortunately (or Fortunately) Yes. I made this observation the other day. To me whether you're (Paper) or Online; you should be processed in the chronological order that you submitted your application.

It's frustrating to think that (In General) you may have put a lot of effort into an 'Online' application and yet someone who submits a 'Paper' Application (after you) will be processed before you. It breaks all the 'Norms' about 'waiting in a line' and 'waiting your turn' if someone who comes for the same product/service after you gets served before you.

PS - I have no qualms with people who submitted an application before me being processed before me, but if I have to go to the back of the line (for someone who applied after me) then I find that to be very 'chaotic', 'frustrating' and 'demeaning'. I'm sure most people would agree with this concept.
That's a very reasonable position to take and most people would agree with that. However, like everything in life, nuances and context matter a lot. For instance, what happens if someone that's ahead of you in line has a delay in verifying their police certificate from a foreign authority but you don't have such issues because you never left Canada during your eligibility period (and thus, don't require a police certificate). Would you still be happy to wait in line until the person ahead of you in line is done with that (however long that might take)? That's just one instance where the universally "acceptable" principle of first come, first serve wouldn't be ideal and fair. Not to defend IRCC but there is so much happening behind the scene that we don't know about but can only speculate.

Having said that, I think everyone would agree that the entire process lacks transparency and most times applicants submit their applications and leave everything to fate. Something as simple as a change of address can take some people upward of three months to never. It's simply ridiculous.

Reactions: QueenPeaches

valeriia_s

Apr 11, 2018
Application type: Paper
Physical presence: 1101 days
Application: Family
Application sent: Oct 8, 2021
Application received: Oct 18, 2021
Received AOR: Jan 11, 2022
Received test date -
Actual test date -
Received oath taking date -
Actual oath taking date -
Background verification completed on Feb 9, 2022

5Kent

Star Member
Nov 17, 2021
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately (or Fortunately) Yes. I made this observation the other day. To me whether you're (Paper) or Online; you should be processed in the chronological order that you submitted your application.

It's frustrating to think that (In General) you may have put a lot of effort into an 'Online' application and yet someone who submits a 'Paper' Application (after you) will be processed before you. It breaks all the 'Norms' about 'waiting in a line' and 'waiting your turn' if someone who comes for the same product/service after you gets served before you.

PS - I have no qualms with people who submitted an application before me being processed before me, but if I have to go to the back of the line (for someone who applied after me) then I find that to be very 'chaotic', 'frustrating' and 'demeaning'. I'm sure most people would agree with this concept.
I do not think you are right here. I used a paper application, and I am still waiting for a background information to be completed. So if my wife.

One thing we should keep in mind is that this process exists and is the way it is for a reason. Yes, the process lacks transparency, and yes, it takes a lot of time. At the same time, I understand why the immigration authorities have to take time to look at our background and vet individuals who are granted Canadian citizenship. And, depending on individual circumstances, different cases are bound to require different amounts of time to process. Some of the factors that, I reckon, they take into account include the country you come from, the area of the country you lived in, the countries you visited, jobs you did and so on. All other things being equal, I think we all understand why an application from, say, a citizen of the Netherlands is going to take less time than (just for the purpose of giving an example) a citizen of Pakistan or Somalia. This is not to say that in the two examples I used the nationals of one country deserve to become Canadian citizens more than the nationals of the other country. All I am trying to say is that there are significant and understandable reasons for the different timeframes involved in processing different applications.

e_ca

Star Member
May 23, 2016
Background verification completed, both for my wife and myself, on February 15. I expected there to be an email notification but there was nothing. I only saw this after logging on to the dashboard.
Congrats now it seems true that paper applications are moving faster than online applications.

Reactions: 5Kent

Pkate_12

Feb 16, 2022
Hi Everyone. New here…

Can someone kindly update please…

Application type: Paper
Physical presence: 1095 days
Application: Family (1 Adult, 2 minors)
Application sent: Oct 19, 2021
Application received: Oct 21, 2021
Received AOR: Jan 14, 2022
BGC Complete: February 8, 2022

Pkate_12

Feb 16, 2022
When I sent it our application and when I signed it, my son was 17. Now is he already 18, does he need to take the test? Thank you.

rajesh_verma_jsr

Nov 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2014
Doc's Request.
12-05-15 (updated schedule-A for spouse)
Nomination.....
27-11-2014
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
File Transfer...
ECAS updated: 24-01-2015, processing started: 21-01-2015
Med's Request
06-02-2015
Med's Done....
10-02-2015, Medicals Received: 17-02-2015
Interview........
NA (FBI Report reached NDVO: 30-03-2015)
Passport Req..
24-06-2015