+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCTOBER 2020 OUTLAND Spousal Sponsorship

trancemist

Aug 25, 2020
Category........
FAM
Hi fellow applicants. We applied on October 10 and received our first AOR 11 days ago on Mar 12. Nothing after that so far. In tracker, I see some of the applicants getting their SA, Bio and Medical immediately (like within a day or two) after AOR. How is it possible that some applications are being processed so quickly than others? Also, how come applicants in Nov and Dec are far ahead in their process compared to Oct?
TIA.
I think that some of it may just depend on simple "luck of the draw" with regard to how applications get pulled.
For example, November and December applications seemed to get processed faster than October ones.

However, there are also several things that I've read recently that may account for this.

According to this press release "the Case Processing Centre in Sydney is currently limited to 30% occupancy" and the "addition of new office space and the hiring of 62 new employees".

And they are prioritizing processing for residents of Hong Kong.

Also, on the IRCC account login page there is this announcement:
We’re prioritizing applications from people who are exempt from travel restrictions
How your application is processed may depend on where it came from.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think that some of it may just depend on simple "luck of the draw" with regard to how applications get pulled.
For example, November and December applications seemed to get processed faster than October ones.
It very much looks like they have 'split' the process into at least two teams, one working on the backlog of files from before roughly October, and the other receiving 'new files', possibly physically separated.

This would make sense from an operations point of view if there are physical limits to the space where they are working on "pre-October" files. They just had to physically split things to be able to catch up.

It's certainly not 'fair' but it wouldn't be particularly fair, either, to process all files more slowly because they insisted on doing strict first in, first out.

Reactions: valvlad

messco2020

Nov 12, 2019
It very much looks like they have 'split' the process into at least two teams, one working on the backlog of files from before roughly October, and the other receiving 'new files', possibly physically separated.

This would make sense from an operations point of view if there are physical limits to the space where they are working on "pre-October" files. They just had to physically split things to be able to catch up.

It's certainly not 'fair' but it wouldn't be particularly fair, either, to process all files more slowly because they insisted on doing strict first in, first out.
I think FIFO should be the fairest way they should follow through the process.i've been waiting In a queue for interview since my application was filed in February 2019(stuck in eligibility),even though the MP told my wife the other day that I passed the eligibility and they are working on security...
25 months in the process when most of the 2020 applicants had: DECISION MADE

Reactions: valvlad

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think FIFO should be the fairest way they should follow through the process.i've been waiting In a queue for interview since my application was filed in February 2019(stuck in eligibility),even though the MP told my wife the other day that I passed the eligibility and they are working on security...
NO part of the process has ever been FIFO, and never will be - it's a logistic impossibility and it would be the Worst of All Possible Worlds. Think about it and it would be clear - it would mean EVERY file would take as long as the most complex and problematic file, i.e. three years or more.

I was referring only to the AOR1 step, which used to be roughly first in, first out - very roughly. Some files are simple and only dozens of pages, some are multiple-hundred pages long. Sponsor eligibility means in many cases getting information from third parties; they're not going to wait on every such request when they can be processing others.

But now they clearly have something else going on - some kind of serious issue at Sydney. It's not great but if they have the choice between being more 'fair' and pushing through (for example) twice as many files, it's clear what they'll do.

Sorry your file is taking longer, have no idea what's going on. Security clearance is the least transparent part for obvious reasons.

Reactions: messco2020

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Covid hit harder than anyone could have expected I think. I can sympathize with them having to scramble, while thousands of applications started piling up with no way to really start processing them. It seems like they've finally figured out their system, and just need to catch up on the back log. I just wish they'd be upfront about it, and say "it sucks but we're doing what we can do, new files are going *here* now so *this* office can catch up on the back log", instead of saying "it is FIFO, don't believe the ones that say later applicants got their AORs first." Being honest and transparent goes a long way to help people understand

cad13

Star Member
Aug 19, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 March/2014
AOR Received.
14 April/2014
Med's Request
08 October/2014
Med's Done....
15 October/2014(RPRF Requested on Nov 06 and Paid Nov 07)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09 January/2015
VISA ISSUED...
14 January/2015
LANDED..........
23 January/2015
Hello

anybody know how they verify sponsor eligibility? Any expertise....

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
that's a long time :(

wallywaf

Aug 21, 2020

However, there are also several things that I've read recently that may account for this.

According to this press release "the Case Processing Centre in Sydney is currently limited to 30% occupancy" and the "addition of new office space and the hiring of 62 new employees".

Also saw that “We’re prioritizing some applications, including:
•Canadians trying to return to Canada. •Vulnerable people
•People who perform or support essential services”

So in theory many of us in Family Class should be prioritized, but even more so if applicant is vulnerable or essential worker.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#processing

constance23

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Also saw that “We’re prioritizing some applications, including:
•Canadians trying to return to Canada. •Vulnerable people
•People who perform or support essential services”

So in theory many of us in Family Class should be prioritized, but even more so if applicant is vulnerable or essential worker.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#processing

My husband is a Canadian trying to go back to Canada and I'm a nurse but we haven't received any information about our application yet. Lol

Really hoping and praying we all hear something from them soon. At this point, I'm just putting it in a box and I'll attend to it when I hear something from them otherwise I'll go crazy stressing about it. :p

Reactions: wallywaf and cjr

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My husband is a Canadian trying to go back to Canada and I'm a nurse but we haven't received any information about our application yet. Lol
I don't know how they are identifying the 'essential workers' for priority but I doubt they will bump your file up just because you are a nurse - not because there isn't a reason to do so but that would require a distinct (additional) process.

Or put more simply: to the extent they are 'prioritizing people who perform essential services', I assume this means primarily those in professional/economic streams where there's a direct link between the application and the essential service.

You might possibly, conceivably have an impact if you have a job offer or similar in Canada that's dependent on you arriving with PR status (and then advise ircc through webform for example). Since it's in your interest to start looking for work in advance anyway, it's worth a try, and certainly won't hurt.

Note, this is highly speculative on my part - I mainly mean it's unlikely they're identifying 'essential workers' from spousal applications just because your profession corresponds. (You could also look at alternatives like applying separately under different stream, or if there are work permit programs that apply, but that might be both costly and time consuming).

Reactions: his*marty and cjr

constance23

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
I don't know how they are identifying the 'essential workers' for priority but I doubt they will bump your file up just because you are a nurse - not because there isn't a reason to do so but that would require a distinct (additional) process.

Or put more simply: to the extent they are 'prioritizing people who perform essential services', I assume this means primarily those in professional/economic streams where there's a direct link between the application and the essential service.

You might possibly, conceivably have an impact if you have a job offer or similar in Canada that's dependent on you arriving with PR status (and then advise ircc through webform for example). Since it's in your interest to start looking for work in advance anyway, it's worth a try, and certainly won't hurt.

Note, this is highly speculative on my part - I mainly mean it's unlikely they're identifying 'essential workers' from spousal applications just because your profession corresponds. (You could also look at alternatives like applying separately under different stream, or if there are work permit programs that apply, but that might be both costly and time consuming).
Absolutely. I don't think one's profession matters on how fast they process applications. It matters in the applicant's approval but not on who they process first.

I'm not in a hurry and I'm not too worried. It'll come when it's ready but it would be nice to know that it's not being returned or even just an AOR to give me a bit of peace - that's exactly why I said I'm going to put it in a box for now and leave it otherwise it gets extremely stressful.

Reactions: cjr and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Absolutely. I don't think one's profession matters on how fast they process applications. It matters in the applicant's approval but not on who they process first.
I doubt it has much impact in applicant's approval in family class sponsorship, either, if they're not looking for it. Possibly a tiny bit, don't know.

But if their attention were drawn to it, it's possible it could have some impact.

constance23

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
I doubt it has much impact in applicant's approval in family class sponsorship, either, if they're not looking for it. Possibly a tiny bit, don't know.

But if their attention were drawn to it, it's possible it could have some impact.
Thank you so much for your explanation and insight. We can only hope for the best :cool:

khalimanda

Star Member
Feb 1, 2021
I got two notifications from IRCC on my Gmail account today. They clarify their delay of the processing, the main impact is COVID. Are there who receive ?