+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

Horizon2015

Aug 2, 2021
can we give citizenship test from outside Canada. my file have was updated last April 23rd and there is no movement after that. I am going to India in the month of December . If I receive test request can i do it from there or person needs to be in Canada ?
If you receive test request while at abroad, write back to the same email address and inform that you would need to appear from India. I saw some people did that and did exam while at abroad, as its online now-a-days. However, you must need to get approved first.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Yo why is there no activity for October applicants. We've reached the one year mark and no test invites either. Just want to get over with the whole immigration process jfc

Luc22

Apr 8, 2015
MONTREAL
I was happy to pass the test early but nothing has been moving since then (last update 1st of June) , the average processing time for citizenship is 12 months but in reality it is taking almost 18 to 24 ... you need a massive increase of your workforce CIC.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I was happy to pass the test early but nothing has been moving since then (last update 1st of June) , the average processing time for citizenship is 12 months but in reality it is taking almost 18 to 24 ... you need a massive increase of your workforce CIC.
Ontario offices are fast. Montreal office is in hibernation mode.

• Sad
Reactions: Leo_ and Luc22

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Is there any indication (or at least confirmation from other month applicants) why Montreal has basically shut down processing? I'm in the exact same boat.
It's not shut down. It's just very slow. I think it's a management thing. Ontario has most applicants. So they put the best resources there. Also, QC may limit how many applicants they accept to become citizens per year.

nycamtl

Dec 30, 2020
"QC may limit how many applicants they accept to become citizens per year."

Certain QC permanent residency programs (i.e. to get a CSQ) have quotas, but as I understood citizenship is a purely federal matter and shouldn't be in any way constrained by the province...

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
"QC may limit how many applicants they accept to become citizens per year."

Certain QC permanent residency programs (i.e. to get a CSQ) have quotas, but as I understood citizenship is a purely federal matter and shouldn't be in any way constrained by the province...
True, but I think their semi-independence spills into citizenship as well.

nycamtl

Dec 30, 2020
True, but I think their semi-independence spills into citizenship as well.
Not sure where you get that from...

"At present, the Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration is responsible for managing the candidates for permanent immigration, based on its own selection criteria. The federal government is still in control of refugee files, family reunification and any issue related to citizenship."

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/politique-du-quebec-immigration

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Not sure where you get that from...

"At present, the Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration is responsible for managing the candidates for permanent immigration, based on its own selection criteria. The federal government is still in control of refugee files, family reunification and any issue related to citizenship."

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/politique-du-quebec-immigration
Yes, citizenship is federally regulated, but it's not far-fetched to say that QC still limits the number of people who become citizens on their territory per year. QC is technically independent to determine what they they want. I read this somewhere, or someone here mentioned this, admittedly without a source, but again I think it's plausible. Maybe I am wrong, but the current pace of the Montreal office is not normal, and that is one speculation.

sss19sap

Dec 17, 2016
Hello all,
Gave my test today. Passed 19/20. Request the team to update the tracker.
Hopefully we all get the oath invites soon!

Horizon2015

Aug 2, 2021
Yes, citizenship is federally regulated, but it's not far-fetched to say that QC still limits the number of people who become citizens on their territory per year. QC is technically independent to determine what they they want. I read this somewhere, or someone here mentioned this, admittedly without a source, but again I think it's plausible. Maybe I am wrong, but the current pace of the Montreal office is not normal, and that is one speculation.

With all respects,

Quebec has nothing to do with Citizenship and nor related to number of Citizens per year to be admitted. QC only participate for their federal-QC approved programs (for example CSQ, provincial selections etc. ) related to their provincial quantity. Once they applicants obtained PR status (even under QC CSQ), PR obligations, and Citizenship and their admissibility issues all are federal govt. domain. Further, under "charter of rights and freedoms" you may live and move to any province. Even some one who obtained PR under CEC (non QC based) can move to Quebec at a later date. He can apply for Citizenship to federal govt. It does not make sense then , Quebec will limit citizenship quantity for their province.

In last, as Citizenship applications is seen by IRCC and not by Quebec immigration department (we all know this). There are iRCC offices at different locations (including in Montreal); the difference in time of processing only related to number of application vs resources of that specific city office. But for the sure, it stays with the federal govt and IRCC.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
With all respects,

Quebec has nothing to do with Citizenship and nor related to number of Citizens per year to be admitted. QC only participate for their federal-QC approved programs (for example CSQ, provincial selections etc. ) related to their provincial quantity. Once they applicants obtained PR status (even under QC CSQ), PR obligations, and Citizenship and their admissibility issues all are federal govt. domain. Further, under "charter of rights and freedoms" you may live and move to any province. Even some one who obtained PR under CEC (non QC based) can move to Quebec at a later date. He can apply for Citizenship to federal govt. It does not make sense then , Quebec will limit citizenship quantity for their province.

In last, as Citizenship applications is seen by IRCC and not by Quebec immigration department (we all know this). There are iRCC offices at different locations (including in Montreal); the difference in time of processing only related to number of application vs resources of that specific city office. But for the sure, it stays with the federal govt and IRCC.
I obtained my PR under the CSQ program, and I am treated with the same priority when it comes to citizenship as anyone else who has a PR from another province but moved to QC, which doesn't make sense because I waited 18 months to get my CSQ before I apply for my PR, and I stayed in QC as I signed in my intention to stay. I think CSQ PR applicants should be given priority in QC when it comes to citizenship, which I doubt it's even considered.

As for the recourses, QC has one processing office, Montreal, while Ontario has three. QC probably has the second largest number of applications in a single province. As I mentioned on the other part of my comment earlier, the management of resources is not efficient. They seem to allocate the best resources to Ontario. The process is not fair at so many levels, and it's IRCC last concern what's fair.

AKM84

Aug 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,

I would appreciate any advice... I've been waiting for the oat/ ceremony invite since Aug 4th. Everything got completed on that day, and nothing since - is there anything I can do or an email address I can reach out to?