+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI to asylum seekers

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
If you're an asylum seeker with Indian citizenship, technically you're still an Indian citizen, so I don't think you would qualify for OCI until you lose your Indian citizenship.

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Can asylum seekers apply for OCI?
If you were granted asylum (political) in Canada - You asked the Canadian Government to grant you protection from a persecuting government against a threat on your life or severe human rights violation. Did you have another citizenship other than India and you are a person of Indian origin i.e., you are eligible because your parents and grand parents? And you claimed asylum status form a persecuting government OTHER than that of India, you may be eligible.

Or are you person of Indian origin that asked for asylum against the persecuting Government of India? If that is the case, why would you want to go back to India and risk your life? I would seriously ask you to reconsider your decision before attempting to travel to a destination where you could put yourself or your family in danger. In this case, you might not be eligible for OCI

Reactions: forw.jane

Raj Wani

Sep 3, 2023
ok lets break this down..
You applied for asylum and eventually became a Canadian citizen.
After that have you surrendered your Indian citizenship ? what is the status on that ?
Yes I did and I visited India 7-8 times too. Now got rejected for E- visa (5 years).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I did and I visited India 7-8 times too. Now got rejected for E- visa (5 years).
I assume you are already a Canadian citizen?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Unfortunately they don’t give reason even after I talked to them . Most of rejected ppl saying the photo or passport image blurry.
You can try and do one thing is to apply for OCI just for your self.
If it goes through and you get the OCI in your hand you can then apply for OCI for spouse and kids

Raj Wani

Sep 3, 2023
You can try and do one thing is to apply for OCI just for your self.
If it goes through and you get the OCI in your hand you can then apply for OCI for spouse and kids
I was thinking to get regular tourist visa for now and later submit for all of us together for OCI. BTW my parents and my brothers family and my wife’s brothers family have OCI, my wife’s parents and my sisters are in India.

agrewa06

Jan 25, 2024
I was thinking to get regular tourist visa for now and later submit for all of us together for OCI. BTW my parents and my brothers family and my wife’s brothers family have OCI, my wife’s parents and my sisters are in India.
Hi. Were you able to get a tourist visa as an asylum seeker? Asking because I am also a citizen of canada through asylum and have filed for tourist visa