rupesh.gunapati

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
Visa Office......
NDVO
LANDED..........
in Toronto downtown
Hi,

We are an Indian couple with PRs, we got our new born's birth certificate and Canadian passport and it's time for OCI. I did filled PART A and PART B in bls new OCI registration process, though i haven't uploaded any documents. I do have few questions:

1. I found only relevant document to be uploaded is CURRENT PASSPORT. Is that enough in their online website ?
2. I have added baby's relatives in India as grand father and grand mother in PART B, do i need to have any relationship certificate as it's asking to upload ?

3. I checked the checklist, it's hardly asking for application with photo and signatures, passport and parents (both) photocopies of indian passport, record of landing, PRs and marriage certificate - are these enough or any other recommendations ?

4. Is it better to do an in-person or by post ?

Please advise -

Thanks,

yahoo7

Champion Member
Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Rupesh,

I am in the same situation as yours. Can you please tell me how long did it take to get the OCI booklet and sticker and what all documents did you submit for the new born?

Regards
Nani

yahoo7

Champion Member
Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some of my friends who are both PRs were able to apply for OCI for their kid.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I am not too sure, however here is the link:

http://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

This is what the link says:

"In case applicants applying for OCI based on parents Indian origins. Then, one of the parents needs to be an foriegn National in order to be eligble for OCI"

yahoo7

Champion Member
Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, I will double check but I pretty sure one of the parents don't have to be Canadian citizens to apply for OCI

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
That was the old rule when you had to apply for the PIO. Now you can apply for OCI.
Nobody really knows the rules well enough. Transition time. Be prepared for several runs and jumping through hoops. And Indian birth certificates have paternal grandparents on the document, so they assume all birth certificates to have that. But the Indian passport will have the names of your parents so child birth certificate and your passport bio, may be... But this is Indian Govt stuff, as somebody said the right hand has no clue as to what the left is up to...

helloimmigrationworld

Star Member
Jul 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2013
AOR Received.
27-08-2013
File Transfer...
06-09-2013
Med's Done....
19-07-2013
Passport Req..
23-09-2013
Hi,
I am a Indian born neutralized Canadian, i am planning to get it from India, can you pls help what you did. I got citizenship certificate and Canadian passport for my kid.

Thanks
Shouvik

JK_CAD

Jul 10, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-Jul-2015
Doc's Request.
10-Sep-2015 (Chest X-Ray)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
31-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
08-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
09-Oct-2015
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
30-Dec-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jan-2016
LANDED..........
16-Jan-2016
I applied for my daughter's OCI when I was under WP and received it within 4 months. I was also under the same impression that one of the parent needs to be foreign national but when I talked to BLS guys they said that you do not need to worry about it. Few of my friends (on PR/WP/BOWP) have also done that and they have got OCI for their kids.

Documents I gave:
- Daughter's passport
- Daughter's birth certificate
- Both parents passport copies
- Both parents work permits
- Marriage certificate since my wife still uses her maiden name in her passport
- Canadian address proof

BLS guys might ask for some more documents. It depends on case to case. You can talk to them and they will tell you everything.

I think in your case you will get it. All the best.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
The confusion comes from previous option of PIO vs OCI. PIO being a lot cheaper. Now every body needs to go for OCI which is neither a life long visa or anything remotely citizen like, just an expensive headache.

PR_User

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
I applied for my daughter's OCI when I was under WP and received it within 4 months. I was also under the same impression that one of the parent needs to be foreign national but when I talked to BLS guys they said that you do not need to worry about it. Few of my friends (on PR/WP/BOWP) have also done that and they have got OCI for their kids.

Documents I gave:
- Daughter's passport
- Daughter's birth certificate
- Both parents passport copies
- Both parents work permits
- Marriage certificate since my wife still uses her maiden name in her passport
- Canadian address proof

BLS guys might ask for some more documents. It depends on case to case. You can talk to them and they will tell you everything.

I think in your case you will get it. All the best.

Hi ...

Should I upload these documents online as well ?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Krithika.

ziffyasif

Star Member
May 3, 2015
Ghaziabad
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
2174 - Software Game Developer
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2017
Nomination.....
04-12-2016
Hi guys,

I am a PR in Canada and am applying for an OCI card for my daughter born in Canada. I had a few queries
1. Do I need to get the long form birth certificate attested from the consulate to upload for OCI application?
2. I have the name of my father and mother in the application as relatives in India. Do I need to add more as I have my brothers in India as well?

vaas2018

Oct 13, 2018
I am Moving india permanently with newborn. Can I apply OCI from India when I would travel to India. Could you please let me know.
New born in India. 1 Parent Canadian Citizen. 1 Parent Indian Citizen.
Once Canadian Citizenship Certificate is acquired and Canadian passport is received in India for the baby, would the baby be without status in India.? (considering 3 months grace period)
What is the process to get OCI inside India?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
New born in India. 1 Parent Canadian Citizen. 1 Parent Indian Citizen.
Once Canadian Citizenship Certificate is acquired and Canadian passport is received in India for the baby, would the baby be without status in India.? (considering 3 months grace period)
What is the process to get OCI inside India?
You can surrender the childs Indian passport and apply for entry visa. Once the child is in India for 6 months you can apply for OCI. If you have plans to get the child back to Canada, you can apply OCI in Canada.

Please cross verify the above with FRRO and for surrender with RPO.

There is one scenario where a kid is born to a Indian and Canadian parent then they have option to hold both passport till 18 yrs of age. I feel in your case that will not be applicable as you have gone for Canadian citizenship for your child after birth which would make them lose Indian citizenship.

I will ask you to again cross verify everything I said above. Don't want to jeopardize things for your child. Take it as a pointer for further research.