+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI for a US born child in Canada!

Acharya9099

Jul 26, 2021
I have recently moved to Canada (Toronto) on PR, and trying to apply OCI for my US born daughter. The challenge is the requirement of birth certificate endorsement by US consulate. The US consulate Canada website clearly state that they do not do this service. Is there anyone who has done it and help?
To add I have full birth certificate from NY.

Thanks in advance

jakv

Sep 13, 2018
Hi, were you able to do anything about it? I have visited the BLS center and they are asking for Birth certificate apostille for the US born birth certificate. That seems bit of a stretch.

Acharya9099

Jul 26, 2021
Hi, were you able to do anything about it? I have visited the BLS center and they are asking for Birth certificate apostille for the US born birth certificate. That seems bit of a stretch.
Yes, I was able to get the apostle, it was a hassle but doable. I contacted the NY state department to get a duplicate BC and then mail it to my friend, then he sent it to the apostle department to stamp and sign it, then he mailed it to me. NY because my daughter was born there, you need to try the same on your state. It could be a little different but first Google and then call them.
good luck

jakv

Sep 13, 2018
Yes, I was able to get the apostle, it was a hassle but doable. I contacted the NY state department to get a duplicate BC and then mail it to my friend, then he sent it to the apostle department to stamp and sign it, then he mailed it to me. NY because my daughter was born there, you need to try the same on your state. It could be a little different but first Google and then call them.
good luck
Hi, Thank you for the quick response! I appreciate it.
I am in the same boat. My son was born in NY state as well. I researched and they told me it would take at least 2-3 weeks to get the apostille birth certificate. Quite a lengthy process. I was surprised when the BLS person suggested it would be easier for you if you file OCI in the US with a US address. If the Indian government is asking for birth certificate Apostille, they should ask in the US as well. But that's not the case. I guess, there is no way out of it, but to give them what they are asking. Thank you again.