+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI Experience - Jan 2022

TheSeeker

Mar 17, 2022
March 17, 2022:

Dear all,

I wanted to share my OCI experience through BLS Toronto, Canada.
I hope this helps the new applicants & I encourage everyone to please add your experiences too.

My ordeal started way back in 2018 when I started the OCI process, but simply gave up coz of how unorganised & cumbersome the whole process was & not surprisingly it still is.

Cut to June 15th, 2021(when it looked a little less complicated), I decided, I will apply for OCI again & accordingly, I filled the form & booked an appointment at the BLS office Toronto (with a wait time of over 3 months for OCI at the time).

The center was chaotic & short staffed.
I had been to the center once way back in 2015, to get Visa. It was bad even then, but because it was just a Visa, maybe it wasn't that much of an issue for me.

These are my issues I faced & how the messy the whole system is:

The whole process is so cumbersome & unnecessarily complicated.

1) The center is pathetically short staffed. I have mixed feelings about the staff there though. I know many people complain about the lack of empathy & desire to help amongst the staff. But the one who served me was very understanding. I made a mistake on my first submission & was given the chance to correct it the same day. But, I missed something else the second time(my fault) & was asked to rebook the appointment (which was again after 6 months).

HACK: Book it under any appointment (Visa, Passport etc.) that's available (not necessarily OCI). And if you are confused with the process & unsure, book 2 appointments within a gap of a week or so. So that if you have to come again, you don't have to wait for another 2 months. And if you are all done the first time itself, make sure you cancel the second appointment so that someone else gets the chance.

2) The online process & the website itself (both OCI & BLS) is archaic. Its a mess, right from uploading the photo & signature (where it asks you to crop it so many times & still doesn't accept it) to the inability to correct the form once filled.
If you miss even a letter on the form, you will need to fill the whole form again. Why can I not correct the online form as & when needed till I am at the center & the form can then be finalized at the counter once the rep verifies all the details. Will save so much time & hassel.

3) The details on OCI site or the BLS website don't match the requirement at the BLS center. They can ask for random document like your spouses landing paper or marriage certificate etc., when your application is not even based on the Marital relationship.

HACK: Make sure you carry all originals including the ones you may think doesn't even apply to your case eg: Your spouses passport, their PR, their Landing paper, Your kids documents, Your Employment Letter etc. Just go through the checklist for all applications(OCI, Visa etc.) & carry them all. You can get copies at the center for a charge.

4) Everyone at the BLS center or on their website appears to be pushing you to avail courier service (pick up & drop), which I am sure is because they make money out of it. But you shouldn't be forced to do it, when you don't have to.
I have no issues with courier if someone really needs it. But for me, I was more concerned about requiring to send any originals through courier (When I first started my application in 2018, they required you to send your spouses Original passport). Seriously? Can I trust you with that? Because of how unorganized the whole process is, I am not comfortable handing them any original documents to keep.

5) Anyways, I booked another appointment for Jan 2021(got it after 3 months again). Yet again I was asked to submit original landing paper, Citizenship certificate etc. (Not part of the checklist) But I wasn't comfortable so I asked him if I can submit anything else instead. So we agreed on marriage certificate (do note, that my application was not based on my spouse still they wanted to send my marriage certificate - (But I was ok as I had 2 original copies of it). I don't understand the logic behind requiring originals when the rep at the counter do their due diligence already & verify all your documents anyways + you are sending them the copies of your cancelled passport, surrender certificate etc (which can be verified through government data). With all said n done, I finally submitted the application & was also asked to pay for courier (when I could simply come to the center to pick up - a separate counter could have been set up just to handover documents for everyone who wants to pick up).
What I found amusing was, once you pay for the service you are given an ugly looking passport cover (which doesn't even fit) as a "GIFT".
Do yourself a favor: Don't put it on, coz you very likely will end up tearing your passport & if somehow you mange to ft your passport in, you will be asked at the airport to remove it again anyways.

6) Now its the wait game --- The BLS site again isn't of much help to track the application. I submitted my application on Jan 2022 & as per processing timeline, I should have received the OCI in 6 weeks. Accordingly I was trying to keep a track of the status. But, the only status I could see was when they sent the originals back through courier (which was after a week) & that's it. No status after that. Whereas, technically they should have updated the whole timeline at every step of the way.

Cut to March (after 5 1/2 weeks of submission) .. I am thinking, that my application is delayed & therefore to be safe I also applied for a Tourist Visa after waiting for the status for 5.5 weeks, as I had plans of visiting my family in April. Tried called the BLS customer service line before that, but again no response.

HACK: Choose the options for SALE eg. Courier booking etc. You may get connected

7) Now ..2 days after I applied for Visa, I get a message from the courier company that something's being delivered back to me. I had a feeling that it could be my Visa application that's being sent back with some or the other excuse.
Unsure & confused I pulled the courier tracking number up & found that the package was connected to my OCI application.

Now I am concerned again, because there is no update online & I am thinking are they sending my OCI application back again with some excuse.
So I go check the OCI status online again & there it shows updated to "DISPATCHED" (exactly on the same day I got the courier alert).
Where was it dispatched from ?
What happened to the receipt date of MEA, India?
Status of Decision? Printing Status ?
or When it left MEA, India?
Nothing?

Thankfully, I was relived when I found out that it was the OCI card & I received it exactly in 6 weeks (the stated processing time)
But, because of how unorganized the whole process was with no update & no communication, I ended up spending an additional $200 for Visa & the courier that I don't even need now.

FINAL THOUGHTS: If you can afford to use courier service, go for it. But make sure you don't send important originals. They can lose it & your packet is not even insured. Courier service is less cumbersome & you don't have to keep looking for appointments.
If you are near the center & can take time off, do visit the center. They will take one way courier from you anyways under whatever pretext.

Ideally, the online process or the process at center should have been much easier & you need not pay additional money. But such is the process currently.

All thanks to the super intelligent, the super smart, the super knowledgeable "IAS" officers of India, who are responsible for making these illogical process decisions, I don't see things changing anytime soon.

Hope this was helpful !!

All the best to everyone.
I hope the process is smoother for you :)

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
March 17, 2022:

Dear all,

I wanted to share my OCI experience through BLS Toronto, Canada.
I hope this helps the new applicants & I encourage everyone to please add your experiences too.

Ideally, the online process or the process at center should have been much easier & you need not pay additional money. But such is the process currently.

All thanks to the super intelligent, the super smart, the super knowledgeable "IAS" officers of India, who are responsible for making these illogical process decisions, I don't see things changing anytime soon.

Hope this was helpful !!

All the best to everyone.
I hope the process is smoother for you :)
What made you start again after 4 years? I had posted the message below in a new thread, but I guess I might get a more concrete reply here.

A question about OCI. Not on the process of getting one, but rather do I need OCI or not.

I've just become a Canadian, but have lived outside India for over 25 years now. Do not have immovable property there and am unlikely to inherit anything in the near future. Since we moved to Canada, visits to family & extended family are few and far in between. We think it is more cost effective to let our parents visit us here for a longer time, rather than go to India ourselves.

If there is any kind of emergency, as OCI would I have access to Canadian consular help when I am in India, or am I left to my own devices.

Planning to visit India after almost 6 years, this summer, hence the question.

TheSeeker

Mar 17, 2022
@akbardxb Personally, I always wanted to have an OCI card, but simply delayed it coz of how time consuming & complicated it was back then.
But when I checked it again around May 2021, it was far easier comparably so I went for it.

Whether you want to apply for OCI or not is your individual choice.
But few things that made me apply for OCI is the entitlement to a multipurpose, multiple entry, lifelong visa & the exemption from reporting to Police authorities for any length of stay in India (which is needed if you a non-Indian visitor). Additionally, the parity with NRIs in financial, economic and educational fields, was a plus for me too.

If you dont intend to use any of the above, I wouldn't apply for OCI.
A Visit/tourist Visa is an option always.

If there is any kind of emergency, as OCI card holder you would still have access to Canadian consular office because you continue to be a Canadian citizen.

Reactions: akbardxb

trendtrader

May 31, 2017
@akbardxb the risk is for dual citizens, as the country of other citizenship may deny access to consular services from canada, but Canada won’t disown their citizens. Further govt of India has been extremely clear that OCIs are not citizens of India

Reactions: akbardxb

Calgary2020

Apr 1, 2020
Hi,
quick question i am applying from calgary and all the agents i spoke to tell me that i can apply gor surrender and oco together.
is that possible.
also if im using the purolator service can i send in all photo copies?

TheSeeker

Mar 17, 2022
@Calgary2020

Hello
NO.. you cannot submit Passport Surrender & OCI application together as the OCI application checklist specifically asks for a copy of Surrender certificate & there is no other alternative to it.

Yes you have to send copies for most documents.
But there are also some documents they ask originals for (not in the checklist).
I am assuming you are in Alberta....You can refer to this link for checklist >> https://www.blsindia-canada.com/vancouver-jurisdiction/ocimisc.php.

Try calling them on
Calgary : 403-351-5428

All the best.

Last edited:

Aagaas

Nov 14, 2022
Hello everyone, I want to share my oci card experience.
I applied through BLS International (Brampton)
14 Sep 2022 Application pickup date by purolator
16 Sep 2022 Application delivered to BLS mail box
19 Sep 2022 Application received and reviewed by BLS
22 Sep 2022 Processing at consulate general
14 Oct 2022 Date of acknowledgment
4 Nov 2022 Document printing status, processed
7 Nov 2022 Document dispatched from New Delhi MEA, document received at Toronto
11 Nov 2022 comment added on BLS tracking site which is Purolator tracking number
14 Nov 2022 I received my OCI card
Hope my comment will help new applicant

Reactions: TheSeeker

NeoInCanada

Nov 22, 2022
Here is my experience....Submitted my application on 07/Oct at BLS Brampton.

Date Of Acknowledgment28-OCT-2022
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- Number
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn21-NOV-2022
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn22-NOV-2022
Document received AtTORONTOOn22-NOV-2022

Reactions: TheSeeker

akglad

Dec 31, 2020
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2021
AOR Received.
06-01-2022
File Transfer...
13-01-2022
Med's Request
17-01-2022
Med's Done....
8-02-2022
I am applying for the OCI and by mistake I have filled email field in the online form in SMALL letters instead of BLOCK letters. Rest of the application is fine. Now I'm wondering,
will this be a problem?
If so then do I have to refill the online OCI application? if so I'm fine but how to discard/withdraw the existing online application?

what should I do next?

This no option to edit the existing online application is really pain.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am applying for the OCI and by mistake I have filled email field in the online form in SMALL letters instead of BLOCK letters. Rest of the application is fine. Now I'm wondering,
will this be a problem?
If so then do I have to refill the online OCI application? if so I'm fine but how to discard/withdraw the existing online application?

what should I do next?

This no option to edit the existing online application is really pain.
We have also done the same with regards to email in small letters. Submitted in-person at BLS Brampton on 28 Dec 2022. All documents were checked by BLS team at the counter. They did not highlight this as an issue.

Current status on BLS shows the applications are under processing at Consulate General.

Reactions: akglad

akglad

Dec 31, 2020
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2021
AOR Received.
06-01-2022
File Transfer...
13-01-2022
Med's Request
17-01-2022
Med's Done....
8-02-2022
We have also done the same with regards to email in small letters. Submitted in-person at BLS Brampton on 28 Dec 2022. All documents were checked by BLS team at the counter. They did not highlight this as an issue.

Current status on BLS shows the applications are under processing at Consulate General.
Thanks. Did you book an appointment for OCI app submission? Or just went walk-in?
Do they check the appointment type whether its visa/oci/passport etc?
If you went walk-in then How much time is it taking in general for walk-in nowadays?

sorry too many questions but I’m just worried after reading and hearing horror experiences from many people..

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks. Did you book an appointment for OCI app submission? Or just went walk-in?
If you went walk-in then How much time is it taking in general for walk-in nowadays?

sorry too many questions but I’m just worried after reading and hearing horror experiences from many people..
No walkins from 16 Nov. We booked the appointments 2 months in advance
They did not check appointment type security guard at BLS Brampton just wanted check if we have appointment and for what time,

Last edited:

TheSeeker

Mar 17, 2022

Hi,
I don't think email in CAPS is going to be an issue. Coz even if it's in cap it's still a valid email when used so I won't book another appointment just to correct that or submit a new application.

Regarding, appointment ..I would suggest against going with Walk ins coz it's really depending on the day & number of applicants, staff etc. So I suggest do book an appointment. I know at BLS Toronto they have started checking appointment type lately (as of 3 weeks back).
But with that being said, it's worth a try given that it's very difficult to get the right appointment type.
So go with whatever is available & if they ask just tell them you didn't see the slot & you have to travel by a specific date. (I don't see it being an issue either as most centers are pretty accommodative, so far as you have an appointment.)

Hope the process is easier for you.
All the best.

Reactions: akglad