+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI application

May 19, 2015
Hi,
I am going to be applying for an OCI card for my child who is 8 months old.
Do I have to first apply online and then take a printout and apply in BLS office?

IS there anything specific that I should keep in mind or any document that is needed apart from the birth certificates, marriage certificate passports?

Regards,
Jayson

gaurang.parmar

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
PNP: 4-Jan-2016 eAPR: 30-Jul-2016
Doc's Request.
PNP: 2-May-2016 eAPR: 03-Aug-2016
Nomination.....
20-May-2016
AOR Received.
30-Jul-2016
IELTS Request
Pre
Med's Request
Pre-APR
Med's Done....
Pre-APR
Passport Req..
1-Mar-2017
LANDED..........
01-06-2017
Hey Jayson,

I did apply OCI from Regina, Saskatchewan Postal application to Vancouver.

For postal application or in-person process is same except point 7 where in-person we go to BLS office.

1. Ready with picture as per specified specification.
2. We need to complete Part A and Part B of OCI form online.
https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome
3 Take printout.
4. Take form checklist from BLS website
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php
5. Get ready with demand draft. Amount depends on number of people your are applying.
6. Docs required for child OCI application (Details are mentioned in BLS OCI checklist)
- Child passport copy (Self-attested)
- Child foreign/Canadian birth certificate (if born outside) copy (Self-attested)
- Both parents passport notarized copy ( or else need to send original passport)
- Parents Marriage Certificate copy (Self-attested)
- Either Parent PR-Card copy (Self-attested) (If not have foreign/Canadian passport)
- Either Parents residency proof copy (Self-attested)
7. Send envelope via Canada post or obtain BLS courier services (BLS is costly so I choose Canada Post). As I choose Canada Post so I also added return courier with application package. ( return courier should be added multiple if applying for multiple person)

It took 1.5 months to get OCI mailed back to me in my given return courier.

vivekshah1990

Sep 15, 2020
Hey Jayson,

I did apply OCI from Regina, Saskatchewan Postal application to Vancouver.

For postal application or in-person process is same except point 7 where in-person we go to BLS office.

1. Ready with picture as per specified specification.
2. We need to complete Part A and Part B of OCI form online.
https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome
3 Take printout.
4. Take form checklist from BLS website
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php
5. Get ready with demand draft. Amount depends on number of people your are applying.
6. Docs required for child OCI application (Details are mentioned in BLS OCI checklist)
- Child passport copy (Self-attested)
- Child foreign/Canadian birth certificate (if born outside) copy (Self-attested)
- Both parents passport notarized copy ( or else need to send original passport)
- Parents Marriage Certificate copy (Self-attested)
- Either Parent PR-Card copy (Self-attested) (If not have foreign/Canadian passport)
- Either Parents residency proof copy (Self-attested)
7. Send envelope via Canada post or obtain BLS courier services (BLS is costly so I choose Canada Post). As I choose Canada Post so I also added return courier with application package. ( return courier should be added multiple if applying for multiple person)

It took 1.5 months to get OCI mailed back to me in my given return courier.
Hi Gaurang,

Do you know where we can notarized passport in Regina ?

Sonal1989

Jan 4, 2019
Hi friends,

I am putting together documents for my 2 year daughter OCI app. Need a quick suggestion - How to make photo and signature ready for uploading on OCI application (in respective sizes and quality)? Did you use any software? Please suggest..finding it difficult. For photo as I have a hard copy I can click photo from photo to upload, correct me if this is wrong please and how to upload the fingerprint?
thanks in advance

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends,

I am putting together documents for my 2 year daughter OCI app. Need a quick suggestion - How to make photo and signature ready for uploading on OCI application (in respective sizes and quality)? Did you use any software? Please suggest..finding it difficult. For photo as I have a hard copy I can click photo from photo to upload, correct me if this is wrong please and how to upload the fingerprint?
thanks in advance
i scanned it, and used the windows default editor to crop it for both thumb print (signature) and photo

sandhu111

Sep 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1-8-2016
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
3-8-2016
IELTS Request
sent at the time of file submit
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-8-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
LANDED..........
Inland
Hello guys I just recently became Canadian citizen haven’t received my citizenship certificate yet and I am just assuming that I will get my Canadian passport before Christmas and I want to travel to India by end of January or first week of February. I know I don’t have enough time to surrender my indian passport and get oci or visa. So My question is Can I travel to India on indian passport and come back to canada on Canadian passport. Is this possible ? Bcz bls website says we have 3 month grace period to tavel on indian passport. What guys think I would be ok to travel within 3 months grace period or not ?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello guys I just recently became Canadian citizen haven’t received my citizenship certificate yet and I am just assuming that I will get my Canadian passport before Christmas and I want to travel to India by end of January or first week of February. I know I don’t have enough time to surrender my indian passport and get oci or visa. So My question is Can I travel to India on indian passport and come back to canada on Canadian passport. Is this possible ? Bcz bls website says we have 3 month grace period to tavel on indian passport. What guys think I would be ok to travel within 3 months grace period or not ?
Read this => DO NOT use Indian passport after getting Canadian passport (Forum)

If you enter India using Indian passport, you have to get an exit visa if you want to leave Canada with a Canadian passport. In order to get an exit visa, you'll have to surrender your Indian passport in India. Unless you have a long vacation planned, don't do it. Unless the trip is an emergency, try to postpone it.

Get a Canadian passport > Surrender your Indian citizenship and apply for an entry visa. Use the entry visa and Canadian passport to get to India.

Also, please post your OCI / Indian visa related discussion in the OCI thread. There is no need for so many threads discussing the same thing.

Reactions: cecapplied

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Agree with @rajkamalmohanram
It is a very very painful process. your entire vacation will go in figuring out how to get back to canada.

sandhu111

Sep 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1-8-2016
Doc's Request.
No
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
3-8-2016
IELTS Request
sent at the time of file submit
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
8-8-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
LANDED..........
Inland
Read this => DO NOT use Indian passport after getting Canadian passport (Forum)

If you enter India using Indian passport, you have to get an exit visa if you want to leave Canada with a Canadian passport. In order to get an exit visa, you'll have to surrender your Indian passport in India. Unless you have a long vacation planned, don't do it. Unless the trip is an emergency, try to postpone it.

Get a Canadian passport > Surrender your Indian citizenship and apply for an entry visa. Use the entry visa and Canadian passport to get to India.

Also, please post your OCI / Indian visa related discussion in the OCI thread. There is no need for so many threads discussing the same thing.
Thank you sir

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
But they did not ask me to cut my Canada PR, but using PR card after taking oath is legal ??

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
But they did not ask me to cut my Canada PR, but using PR card after taking oath is legal ??
Nope. It is weird that they did not ask you to cut it but using it for travel after becoming a citizen is not allowed. The odds are that the PR card would have been deactivated and if you try to use it, it might set of alarms.

DO NOT USE YOUR PR CARD after you become a Canadian citizen.