+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI application process for Indian Canadians - avoid common pitfalls

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi, in my Indian passport, under place of birth, I have city, state and have IND under country code. I think in my Canadian passport, my place of birth would be just the city along with country code IND. So would I need an affidavit? I believe usually in Canadian passports, the officer told me that they don't put the state name under place of birth.
Yeah thats right.
It will not have the a problem wrt OCI application.
e.g. If you have Mumbai, Maharashtra as Place of Birth in Indian Passport. In Canadian Passport it will mentioned Mumbai only.

Yes you can fill the OCI application with the relevant details but do not submit the form until you have your Canadian passport# etc in place.
Once you submit you have to upload the photograph and signature, but you cannot edit the application.

Reactions: Jetrocker and A_S

A_S

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Oh gotcha! Thanks for clarification. I haven't filled the form yet but going to fill soon. Currently waiting for my surrender certificate.

By the way, can we fill out the application as much as possible anytime and save it to fill the rest later? And after filling it out, when we are ready to submit and print the form, do we have to submit and print the same day we are applying for OCI or can it be any day?
yes, print and complete any time before submitting to OCI. You will notice when you start filling it in with all the details !you can create multiple applications in case you you missed any.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetrocker

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, for the photo, does it need to have plain light colored background or white colored background? On the checklist, it says white and the instructions before doing OCI registration strictly says photo needs to be plain light colored background and not white without the border.

Can anyone who has already gone through the process please help me cut through the noise of these conflicting messaging by BLS?

It would be greatly appreciated if someone responds by today as I'm planning to take the photograph tomorrow.

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
Hi, for the photo, does it need to have plain light colored background or white colored background? On the checklist, it says white and the instructions before doing OCI registration strictly says photo needs to be plain light colored background and not white without the border.

Can anyone who has already gone through the process please help me cut through the noise of these conflicting messaging by BLS?

It would be greatly appreciated if someone responds by today as I'm planning to take the photograph tomorrow.
I got it done on white background without any border. I submitted it in BLS Brampton

Reactions: Jetrocker

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
@cleansystem

Hi, on section 3.2.2 of your blog, for Applicant’s Passport Details, you have mentioned to fill it out as per Indian passport. I’ve heard that since Indian passport is already canceled, we need to fill our current Canadian passport details. Am I missing something?

Reactions: yogeshbatra

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

Klakho

Jan 1, 2020
Do you have to submit your original Canadian passport too? Their website states so and I was a bit surprised. Can you please clarify?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Do you have to submit your original Canadian passport too? Their website states so and I was a bit surprised. Can you please clarify?
No you do not need to but..
all copies of the supporting documents that you will submit you should carry with you the originals for verification, which they will return at the same time

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I wish I had read the guide/pitfalls before applying. Would have saved hours of trying to figuring it out. This should be a sticky