Jan 11, 2023
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
Hi,

I have captured the pitfalls in the OCI application process on my blog here. Initially I tried to write a post directly here but due to bug in the canada visa forum's site I think it kept on giving me error about the word count. Anyway, I'm sure you will find the blog useful and it can save you precious time and money.
Good luck!

RJP0191

Feb 6, 2020
Thank you so much for the detailed post. I was looking for one for a while.

I'm wondering if the process getting surrender certificate was just as annoying and if you have insights for that.
Thanks again.

Reactions: cleansystem

cleansystem

Jan 11, 2023
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
Thank you so much for the detailed post. I was looking for one for a while.

I'm wondering if the process getting surrender certificate was just as annoying and if you have insights for that.
Thanks again.
Sorry for surrender certificate I gave in and paid for their postal service. It was huge pain I can understand but no insights as such on it.

Reactions: RJP0191

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi,

I have captured the pitfalls in the OCI application process on my blog here. Initially I tried to write a post directly here but due to bug in the canada visa forum's site I think it kept on giving me error about the word count. Anyway, I'm sure you will find the blog useful and it can save you precious time and money.
Good luck!
Mate you poured your heart out sharing your experience..
My experience was similar wrt courier being forced and I pushed back on it.
I was forced to submit the Indian passport and that the same will only be couriered and the BLS staff could not provide a convincing answer why I cant pick it up and told them that almost 6 days ago I picked up the cancelled passport and surrendered certificate from the same BLS center...
I did not accept the courier charges for OCI and the so called value added services either... but yes in the end had to pay $26+tax for 4 passport to be couriered back..

Reactions: akglad

akglad

Dec 31, 2020
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2021
AOR Received.
06-01-2022
File Transfer...
13-01-2022
Med's Request
17-01-2022
Med's Done....
8-02-2022
Mate you poured your heart out sharing your experience..
My experience was similar wrt courier being forced and I pushed back on it.
I was forced to submit the Indian passport and that the same will only be couriered and the BLS staff could not provide a convincing answer why I cant pick it up and told them that almost 6 days ago I picked up the cancelled passport and surrendered certificate from the same BLS center...
I did not accept the courier charges for OCI and the so called value added services either... but yes in the end had to pay $26+tax for 4 passport to be couriered back..
I had a similar experience. That OCI form is so confusing no clear instructions at all. The post is helpful. I too paid $45 in total for a single passport for courier, one page photocopy which that lady at the counter wanted to do for some reason, and everything else she said. + I have to go and pick the OCI when it will arrive. So $45 paid for half work if the India passport reaches home back. Why do they need the original India passport sent to them and then they send it back to us? no one knows.

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
Thanks @cleansystem for your wonderful blog. It helped me to get through BLS while submitting my application for my daughter's OCI application. The challenges and doubts experienced while submitting OCI application submission is exactly what @cleansystem has mentioned in the blog.

Since the blog is for submission of OCI application for anyone who was earlier a citizen of India themselves and acquired the Canadian Citizenship by naturalization, I think it would be helpful if I share info on OCI application for minor born in Canada with for those who may need it. Please note, I submitted my application in person just today at BLS Brampton (Toronto Jurisdiction) and hopeful that I would get the OCI in few weeks.

I would also refer the steps in the blog and point and differences as well notes w.r.t OCI application for minor born in Canada

step 1: Same as in blog

step 2: Mandatory documents are:
i. Canada passport of minor – Copy and Original
ii. Proof of address – Required for both Father and Mother. As mentioned in blog, it could be Driving License, or any utility bill with parent's name and address.
iii. Birth certificate of the child - Copy and Original. BLS verified the original and returned it right away.
iv. Consent of both parents - Download the form from https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/no-objection-letter.pdf. Fill it and have it signed by both parents. Also paste photograph of both parents. There are no specifications for the parent's photo. However, I pasted the photos with same dimension as the one requested for OCI form.
v. Passport of both parents - Copy and Original. BLS verified the originals and returned it right away. Me and my wife are still Indian nationals. But if parents have acquired Canadian citizenship, provide both Canadian passport as well as old Indian Passport.
vi. Parent's Status in Canada (applicable only if the parents have not acquired canadian citizenship) - Copy and Original. BLS verified our PR Cards and returned it right away.
vii. Marriage certificate of parents - Copy only. This is required if spouse names are not endorsed in either parent’s Indian Passport. I was not asked for original but better to carry for verification if submitting in person.
vii. Fees – $345 Demand Draft to Consulate General of India, Toronto
viii. Photograph – take 1 51mmx51mm photo of the child In my case, BLS pasted it at the bottom of page 3 of the printed Online form. Also the photo I took was in white background. You would see in OCI portal stating that it should not be white but BLS has accepted my application with photo in white background. Also, fortunately they did not ask for any date of Photo, may be because my daughter is just 2 months old which means her photo could not have been older than 6 months. :) But I think no harm in getting photo dated.
viii-a.The instruction for uploading photo remains same as mentioned in blog. However, for minors it has to be thumb print. For my 2 months old daughter, I took her left thumb print in a paper. I have read somewhere for boys, it should be right thumb print. But I do not think during application submission, it is of any importance if it is right or left. Take the digital image of thumb print. Follow same process as mentioned in the blog for the signature.
viii-b. Follow the instruction in blog on scanned images. scanned images of below documents would be required.
viii-b.1 Canadian Passport of child
viii-b.2 Indian passport of one parent/grandparent based on whom the OCI is being applied. In my case, I scanned Indian passports as well as PR Cards of both me and my wife in one pdf document.
viii-b.3 Birth certificate of the child. If the birth certificate is in French, I think it requires some additional steps. But since mine was English, it was straight forward.b
viii-b.4 Marriage certificate.

step 3: Same as in blog. I am listing only those points which could be different for minor born in Canada.

Part A
3.1 Place of Birth - Just mention the city name as indicated in canadian passport of the child. Do not add CAN as indicated in the passport. While filling the form, you are already selecting country of birth. So when you print the form, you will place of birth as XXXX, CANADA.
3.2 Visible Distinguishing Mark - Leave it blank
3.3 Visible Mark - If your child/baby has no mark, just say NONE.
3.4 Applicant’s Passport Details - Fill up this section as per Canadian passport. Place of issue is the issuing authority reflected in the canadian passport of the child.
3.5 Applicant’s Family Details: Fill up names in this section EXACTLY as per parents' Indian Passports.
3.5.1 Relation with the root Indian: Select either parents. Ensure the scanned document mentioned in viii-b.2 for the selected parent

PART B
3.6 Upload Canadian Passport of child under CURRENT PASSPORT
3.7 upload Indian passport of parent identified as root under CURRENT INDIAN PASSPORT OF PARENTS/GRAND PARENTS/GREAT GRAND PARENTS/SPOUSE
3.8 upload child's birth certificate under RELATIONSHIP CERTIFICATE
3.9 upload Marriage certificate under MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE

Rest steps for filling application online and generating the form for print is same as in blog.

4. Below are additional points which I did for my application submission in BLS.
4.1 Arranged the application as per the checklist and also included a print of the checklist at top as it is the first document in the list.
4.2 In checklist, I filled "To be Verified by applicant" as verified and also filled Name of the Applicant (minor name), BLS Centre and Date. left the CANO No. and signature of application blank. No question was asked at BLS.
4.3 On Page 3, I got the thumb print of my child in the declaration section. Also, under Application for Minor Child section, we both parents signed. Also, ensure you date the section along with the place.
4.4 Also attest all the copies by both parents.

Besides the experience will be same with BLS. Had to shell out 45 bucks for whatever service and courier to get the OCI delivered.

Hope this post helps!!

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Thanks for the wonderful blog. I wanted to ask if the photo specifications for OCI and Surrender Certificate applications are the same? I'm asking because I might use the SC photos for OCI application as that can save me some money by not going to the photographer again.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Thanks for the wonderful blog. I wanted to ask if the photo specifications for OCI and Surrender Certificate applications are the same? I'm asking because I might use the SC photos for OCI application as that can save me some money by not going to the photographer again.
I think BLS have a daily quota for the number of people they will force to take photos again. It might work, it might not. No assurances. Maybe your shoulders have shrunk or become bigger since you surrendered your passport.

My wife applied for SC and visa on the same day. The same photo worked for SC but not for visa so we were poorer by $15.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I think BLS have a daily quota for the number of people they will force to take photos again. It might work, it might not. No assurances. Maybe your shoulders have shrunk or become bigger since you surrendered your passport.

My wife applied for SC and visa on the same day. The same photo worked for SC but not for visa so we were poorer by $15.

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, in my Indian passport, under place of birth, I have city, state and have IND under country code. I think in my Canadian passport, my place of birth would be just the city along with country code IND. So would I need an affidavit? I believe usually in Canadian passports, the officer told me that they don't put the state name under place of birth.

A_S

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Hi, in my Indian passport, under place of birth, I have city, state and have IND under country code. I think in my Canadian passport, my place of birth would be just the city along with country code IND. So would I need an affidavit? I believe usually in Canadian passports, the officer told me that they don't put the state name under place of birth.
The Canadian Passport Officer is correct and would suggest applying OCI without the affidavit. Get 2 different appointment dates so that worst case if they have an issue you can get the affidavit done.
My case was a little different, I had only City under place of Birth on Indian Passport. However when you fill up the OCI application, you will need to enter both city & state in-order to complete the online form which will then be printed on the application form submitted to BLS. Those BLS jokers did question me on why I have city and state on the application form , but not on my Canadian Passport and I did make a noise and they accepted all the documents.

I wouldn't just blame those OCI guys who will sound & behave like school dropouts, but also Indian bureaucrats who deliberately create loopholes for interpretation and making money.

Good Luck !!

Reactions: Jetrocker

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
The Canadian Passport Officer is correct and would suggest applying OCI without the affidavit. Get 2 different appointment dates so that worst case if they have an issue you can get the affidavit done.
My case was a little different, I had only City under place of Birth on Indian Passport. However when you fill up the OCI application, you will need to enter both city & state in-order to complete the online form which will then be printed on the application form submitted to BLS. Those BLS jokers did question me on why I have city and state on the application form , but not on my Canadian Passport and I did make a noise and they accepted all the documents.

I wouldn't just blame those OCI guys who will sound & behave like school dropouts, but also Indian bureaucrats who deliberately create loopholes for interpretation and making money.

Good Luck !!
Ok thanks for the info. However, in the blog, OP has mentioned to type only the city name without the state name? So is the OP correct or do I have to mention the state name along with city name?

Place of Birth: – Mention only the name of the city/town of your birth. No need to write CityName, State in this field as it appears in your India passport otherwise in the printout of the OCI online form the state will come twice and BLS will say the form is wrong and you have to go back and refill it.

A_S

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Ok thanks for the info. However, in the blog, OP has mentioned to type only the city name without the state name? So is the OP correct or do I have to mention the state name along with city name?

Place of Birth: – Mention only the name of the city/town of your birth. No need to write CityName, State in this field as it appears in your India passport otherwise in the printout of the OCI online form the state will come twice and BLS will say the form is wrong and you have to go back and refill it.
:) did you try filling up the application form ?
Under your place of birth on your Indian Passport there is no placeholder for "state" and you have it printed as City, State. What he is trying to say is that donot use the same City,State on that field when you fill in the OCI application as there is a sepereate field for State , otherwise it gets printed as City,State State on the form.

Reactions: Jetrocker

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Just to understand this better I am taking a dummy example.
Your "Place of Birth" in Indian passport for e.g. is "MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA" and Nationality is "INDIAN" but
in the Canadian Passport it will come as "MUMBAI INDIA". MAHARASHTRA won't be included.

And leaving MAHARASHTRA from the place of birth would cause issue with OCI. Am I right?

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
:) did you try filling up the application form ?
Under your place of birth on your Indian Passport there is no placeholder for "state" and you have it printed as City, State. What he is trying to say is that donot use the same City,State on that field when you fill in the OCI application as there is a sepereate field for State , otherwise it gets printed as City,State State on the form.
Oh gotcha! Thanks for clarification. I haven't filled the form yet but going to fill soon. Currently waiting for my surrender certificate.

By the way, can we fill out the application as much as possible anytime and save it to fill the rest later? And after filling it out, when we are ready to submit and print the form, do we have to submit and print the same day we are applying for OCI or can it be any day?