+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining Citizenship for Children of Naturalized Canadian Citizen

mathmagican

Feb 14, 2016
I was born in the US and live in the US. I am an naturalized Canadian citizen. I would like to obtain citizenship for my US born children (born after 2009). Is this possible as an non-Canadian resident?

Thanks!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mathmagican said:
I was born in the US and live in the US. I am an naturalized Canadian citizen. I would like to obtain citizenship for my US born children (born after 2009). Is this possible as an non-Canadian resident?

Thanks!
Yes, if you are a naturalized Canadian citizen and had children outside of Canada, they are already Canadian citizens. All you have to do is apply for proof of their citizenship. Look here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Your children are already Canadian, but if they have children outside of Canada they wouldn't be--which, IMHO, is kind of a second class citizenship.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
links18 said:
Your children are already Canadian, but if they have children outside of Canada they wouldn't be--which, IMHO, is kind of a second class citizenship.
It is . . . and yet, someone who is born in the United States and grows up in the United States is kind of a second class Canadian. And if they marry there and have children, their kids are even more second class Canadians. I think it's totally normal that the rights of citizenship fall away at some point -- frankly, the current situation is a big improvement from the days when citizenship could be lost by someone who formally possessed it, simply by living abroad for a few years.

The current system avoids the development of self-perpetuating colonies of overseas Canadians who have very little or no connection to Canada itself.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
nope said:
The current system avoids the development of self-perpetuating colonies of overseas Canadians who have very little or no connection to Canada itself.
Yes, I get the point, but I think there should be some mechanism for Canadians by descent to pass on citizenship to foreign born children--either through some residency period (like the UK has) or by requiring them to take some formal affirmative steps to register their children (like Ireland). But I disagree with the premise that not living in Canada always means there is no or little connection to Canada.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
I don't disagree with this -- it would be interesting to see how some sort of system, Canadians of Overseas Origin or something like that, would work. I don't think any country that permits a high level of immigration has anything like that, they are more typical of blood-based citizenship societies like Italy, Latvia, or Ireland.