+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtained PGWP + Job Offer - How can I bring my girlfriend with me?

axel_b

May 5, 2018
My fiancee is finally in Canada with me.
I have 2 more questions:

1) She's on a touristic visa (up to 6 months), but on her declaration form at the kiosk she wrote she is going to stay in the country for only few weeks. What would it happen if she stays more than what she declared?

2) Once we get married in Canada, she will apply for an open work permit. However, I am planning on applying for a PR in about one year. Will the fact that we got married affect the process somehow (eg. more document required, processing time.. )?

Thank you so much.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
My fiancee is finally in Canada with me.
I have 2 more questions:

1) She's on a touristic visa (up to 6 months), but on her declaration form at the kiosk she wrote she is going to stay in the country for only few weeks. What would it happen if she stays more than what she declared?

2) Once we get married in Canada, she will apply for an open work permit. However, I am planning on applying for a PR in about one year. Will the fact that we got married affect the process somehow (eg. more document required, processing time.. )?

Thank you so much.
(1) Doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what her current status is, and when this status will expire. If she can legally remain in Canada for 6 months, she can stay here for 6 months. Plans can change, and officers know this. As long as she doesn't overstay and goes without status, she is 100% fine.

(2) She will be added to your PR application regardless, either as a spouse or as a common-law partner. There are some additional documents you will have to submit, e.g. marriage certificate, her medical examination etc. and your fiancee will also need to obtain an ECA for her education, take the IELTS/CELPIP test, unless you're not claiming any points for this. But nothing that should delay/complicate your application - especially since you already need to get these things for yourself anyway.

Reactions: axel_b

axel_b

May 5, 2018
(1) Doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what her current status is, and when this status will expire. If she can legally remain in Canada for 6 months, she can stay here for 6 months. Plans can change, and officers know this. As long as she doesn't overstay and goes without status, she is 100% fine.

(2) She will be added to your PR application regardless, either as a spouse or as a common-law partner. There are some additional documents you will have to submit, e.g. marriage certificate, her medical examination etc. and your fiancee will also need to obtain an ECA for her education, take the IELTS/CELPIP test, unless you're not claiming any points for this. But nothing that should delay/complicate your application - especially since you already need to get these things for yourself anyway.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Just a quick question regarding the 2nd point.
When you say that she will be added to my PR application, you mean that she will obtain a PR as well based on the fact we are married, is this correct? (The reason why I am planning to wait one year to apply for the PR is that I would gain 1 year of skilled Canadian working experience, hence the process should be quite straightforward.)

And what does it happen if her application for an open work permit isn't processed within 6 months - can she remain in Canada until a decision is finalized?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for your reply!

Just a quick question regarding the 2nd point.
When you say that she will be added to my PR application, you mean that she will obtain a PR as well based on the fact we are married, is this correct? (The reason why I am planning to wait one year to apply for the PR is that I would gain 1 year of skilled Canadian working experience, hence the process should be quite straightforward.)

And what does it happen if her application for an open work permit isn't processed within 6 months - can she remain in Canada until a decision is finalized?
Yes, she will become a PR with you.

Yes, she can stay while waiting for a decision.