+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obligation to settle in Quebec still binding after 3 years of absence?

s.dzenisiuk

Jul 11, 2012
Hello,
We became permanent residents of Canada in June 2012 as Quebec selected immigrants. After spending 1.5 months in Canada, we had to return to our home country for family reasons. We now intend to return to Canada and settle there. We are to live in Quebec, since we signed the intention to live there during the immigration process. Now, however, we are more inclined to go to Ontario. My question is: Could we now, almost 3 years after we received permanent residence, not go to live Quebec but settle in Ontario, as our intentions may have changed during these 3 years? Or we still have to settle and live in Quebec at least for some time?

ht711

Dec 6, 2014
s.dzenisiuk said:
Hello,
We became permanent residents of Canada in June 2012 as Quebec selected immigrants. After spending 1.5 months in Canada, we had to return to our home country for family reasons. We now intend to return to Canada and settle there. We are to live in Quebec, since we signed the intention to live there during the immigration process. Now, however, we are more inclined to go to Ontario. My question is: Could we now, almost 3 years after we received permanent residence, not go to live Quebec but settle in Ontario, as our intentions may have changed during these 3 years? Or we still have to settle and live in Quebec at least for some time?
No worries once you become permanent resident then there are no worries. You completed your landing in Quebec and then went out of airport and here you are no more immigrant but a permanent resident. After this point, you are free to go. just first 183 days if you use Quebec health card and leave in first 183 days then you have to payback the medical expenses. Just don't use your health card and apply for new one in other province...No worries...all the best

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are free to settle anywhere now because even if immigration would say that you signed an intent to settle in Quebec, you can say that you did intend when you applied so you did not try to deceive them but in 3 years time, your plans can change.

Last poster talked about health cards. If you even got a Quebec health card which I assume you didn't because you did not stay 3 months, your eligibility for this health card would now be long gone as you have been outside Quebec for a long time and did not stay for your initial 6 months for your eligibility so if you do have a Quebec health card, you should not try to use it. That could be considered health care fraud.

In Ontario, you will have to wait 3 months to get health care so get some emergency insurance in case something happens. Otherwise it can get expensive for you.

s.dzenisiuk

Jul 11, 2012
Leon said:
You are free to settle anywhere now because even if immigration would say that you signed an intent to settle in Quebec, you can say that you did intend when you applied so you did not try to deceive them but in 3 years time, your plans can change.

Last poster talked about health cards. If you even got a Quebec health card which I assume you didn't because you did not stay 3 months, your eligibility for this health card would now be long gone as you have been outside Quebec for a long time and did not stay for your initial 6 months for your eligibility so if you do have a Quebec health card, you should not try to use it. That could be considered health care fraud.

In Ontario, you will have to wait 3 months to get health care so get some emergency insurance in case something happens. Otherwise it can get expensive for you.
Thanks a lot, Leon. And sorry for not replying quickly - I have been offline.

s.dzenisiuk

Jul 11, 2012
There is another question that bothers me. Our Quebec selection certificates were issued in June 2011 and expired in June 2014. I understand that this 3-year validity is for the issuance of the Canadian visa, which, of course, we duly received. If we finally decide to settle in Quebec, will we not have trouble with an expired CSQ - for example, when arriving at the POE, when applying at RAMQ, SAAQ, schools, etc.? Do we need to seek to prolong the CSQ, or it will be permanently valid within Quebec?

ht711

Dec 6, 2014
s.dzenisiuk said:
There is another question that bothers me. Our Quebec selection certificates were issued in June 2011 and expired in June 2014. I understand that this 3-year validity is for the issuance of the Canadian visa, which, of course, we duly received. If we finally decide to settle in Quebec, will we not have trouble with an expired CSQ - for example, when arriving at the POE, when applying at RAMQ, SAAQ, schools, etc.? Do we need to seek to prolong the CSQ, or it will be permanently valid within Quebec?
3 years expiry date is to file your application for federal part (application to sydney). You just keep it safe as you need to show it for govt. benefits. with you as you got PR becz Quebec Selected you.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ht711 said:
3 years expiry date is to file your application for federal part (application to sydney). You just keep it safe as you need to show it for govt. benefits. with you as you got PR becz Quebec Selected you.
I've never once been asked for my CSQ for any reason whatsoever after COPR/landing.

ht711

Dec 6, 2014
Lammawitch said:
I've never once been asked for my CSQ for any reason whatsoever after COPR/landing.
For medical card they ask as they asked us in the beginnibg plus rent lease in original to check

s.dzenisiuk

Jul 11, 2012
For medical card they ask as they asked us in the beginnibg plus rent lease in original to check
That is why I am asking - I know that they surely will ask the Selection Certificate when we apply for medical cards. Will they not argue that the QSC are outdated?

ht711

Dec 6, 2014
s.dzenisiuk said:
That is why I am asking - I know that they surely will ask the Selection Certificate when we apply for medical cards. Will they not argue that the QSC are outdated?
Let's say it is outdated, "so what" it is genuine right, Immigrants shows CSQ only in Quebec, they ask CSQ. It's Outdated if you apply for Federal visa after 3 years then you have to renew it but as you become PR and you can only use it in Quebec, nothing to worry. You're scaring from those 98% things which never happened in ones life...so don't worry.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Lammawitch said:
Lammawitch,
I will be landing in Montreal mid this year. Please share with me your landing experience in Quebec. Is it any different from the experience/processes described by who landed in Canada under FSW(without CSQ)?
Thanks

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
next2015 said:
Lammawitch,
I will be landing in Montreal mid this year. Please share with me your landing experience in Quebec. Is it any different from the experience/processes described by who landed in Canada under FSW(without CSQ)?
Thanks
No, there is no difference landing in Quebec as a new FSW PR with CSQ, to landing elsewhere in Canada as a new FSW PR. Why? Because you will be processed, in Qc as everywhere else, by CBSA. Federal agency.

(My personal landing story is atypical: I was already in Qc as a visitor, & "flagpoled"/landed at Lacolle, US land border, once I received my COPR (FSW). Took 15 minutes to process me & 2 children.).

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
s.dzenisiuk said:
I truly think you are overthinking this :). As explained above, validity date on CSQ refers to the amount of time you have/had to apply to CIC for PR.

You already landed. You are PRs. It's now a non-issue.

I do note, following other posts above, & checking the RAMQ, that the CSQ is requested for registration. I can only think that the employees forgot to ask me for it ;). peu importe, I was registered.