+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obligation criteria not met and I will be 2-3 month short before it expires

drsinghharjot

Nov 2, 2017
calgary
Category........
I immigrated to Canada in the June 2015 and went back to India after 3 months to continue my medical education and then I came to Canada again for 3 months in December 2016 and again left Canada in April for 7 months to USA and India. Now I am planning again to leave for the USA for medical education for 2-3 months in 2018 and because of that, I could be short of the obligation time by 2-3 months. This medical education is very important for my future but I also don't want to lose my permanent resident status of Canada. My PR card will expire in 2020 June But I am anticipating that I may get Medical residency in the USA in July 2019 and so I can complete the time up to 2019 July or before that.

My question is that Can it be justified on any humanitarian grounds that I was traveling only because of my studies or I should stay back and complete the obligation and let the USA plan go? and is it possible to renew pr card Canada without fulfilling the obligation criteria?
Thank you!

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Canada has world class medical schools and hospitals. If you have chosen to study in India and the USA, that demonstrates that you prioritise living there over living in Canada. You haven't given any 'humanitarian and compassionate' reason for relieving you of the PR obligation (you may have given a weak career reason, but even that isn't clear). If you wish to remain a PR of Canada, you will need to meet your Residency Obligation.

Reactions: Buletruck

drsinghharjot

Nov 2, 2017
calgary
Category........
Canada has world class medical schools and hospitals. If you have chosen to study in India and the USA, that demonstrates that you prioritise living there over living in Canada. You haven't given any 'humanitarian and compassionate' reason for relieving you of the PR obligation (you may have given a weak career reason, but even that isn't clear). If you wish to remain a PR of Canada, you will need to meet your Residency Obligation.
Thank you for your response. I actually started my medical school in 2010 in India and in 2015, I came to Canada and I had already invested my 5 years so I could not leave my education incomplete because just I immigrated to Canada. I had my graduation in 2017.? would it still be a weak career reason?
thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your response. I actually started my medical school in 2010 in India and in 2015, I came to Canada and I had already invested my 5 years so I could not leave my education incomplete because just I immigrated to Canada. I had my graduation in 2017.? would it still be a weak career reason?
thanks
It wouldn't be incomplete if you continue your education in Canada.

Reactions: mpsqra

drsinghharjot

Nov 2, 2017
calgary
Category........
I don't know If you know that it is not easy to continue medical education because incomplete medical education out of another country is like nothing to any country. I don't know about other professions but It is not possible in Medicine. thanks for your kind words.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Why didn't you complete your studies and then apply for PR? It does seem that you have got PR and then not used it properly.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
I don't know If you know that it is not easy to continue medical education because incomplete medical education out of another country is like nothing to any country. I don't know about other professions but It is not possible in Medicine. thanks for your kind words.
Medical education is really one of the easiest to transfer, so long as the institution is recognized - a body is a body. While non-Canadian trained lawyers, and accountants etc have a whole different system to learn, the femur's still in the same place. Also, your stated career plan has no problem with studying in another country to your first degree, you just want to do it in the USA, not Canada.

If you do want to move to Canada, you applied for PR at the wrong time. But what you've written really doesn't suggest that you want to move to Canada - if you did, you'd be going to school and looking for further education and work opportunities in Canada, not in the USA, even if you did need to finish your first qualification in India.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Actually the medical field is different. My sister was a nurse in Scotland and moved to Canada but was told she would have to go back to university to get qualified again. That doesn't explain why the OP did not do his training here when they could though.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
I immigrated to Canada in the June 2015 and went back to India after 3 months to continue my medical education and then I came to Canada again for 3 months in December 2016 and again left Canada in April for 7 months to USA and India. Now I am planning again to leave for the USA for medical education for 2-3 months in 2018 and because of that, I could be short of the obligation time by 2-3 months. This medical education is very important for my future but I also don't want to lose my permanent resident status of Canada. My PR card will expire in 2020 June But I am anticipating that I may get Medical residency in the USA in July 2019 and so I can complete the time up to 2019 July or before that.

My question is that Can it be justified on any humanitarian grounds that I was traveling only because of my studies or I should stay back and complete the obligation and let the USA plan go? and is it possible to renew pr card Canada without fulfilling the obligation criteria?
Thank you!
No, you will loose your PR
PR is to live in Canada, not to go back and forward

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
you're right
s/he is completely lost, asking for permanent residency in Canada, to continuing studying somewhere else,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Transferring from one medical school to another would probably not even work within Canada. I am not sure if you know how difficult it may be to work in Canada as a physician with foreign training. It is a long and expensive process with limited spots and no guarantees you will be able to practice in the end. Agree with others that school or career reasons are not acceptable reasons for not meeting your RO.

Reactions: russ6970 and mpsqra

Abul K

Dec 11, 2017
Pursue medical education in the US. Apply for 2019 residency. DON'T LET THAT GO!! Either you loose your status as a PR or you possibly gain a US residency and (most likely) green card at the end of the day. If you God forbid don't get residency in the US in 2019, complete your RO in Canada, apply for renewal and try again for the US next year. Just don't apply for a pr renewal if you haven't met the obligation criteria. You will likely loose your PR because the authorities would have noticed your violation. You won't loose your PR status even if your PR card is expired unless removed by authorities. You have a landing paper. Use that to get into Canada via the land border in a private vehicle if your PR card is expired, although should be done cautiously. Good Luck. Study Hard!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that you have to complete your residency somewhere which will not be Canada you will continue to not meet your RO so there is no point in trying to get H&C. Given all the time and effort you are putting into your medical education I would try to get residency in a place where you can actually practice medicine.