+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath & Urgent Passport

ciscobud

Jan 14, 2016
hi guys,

can someone tell me how long the oath process takes ? I have mine on the 15th and i am traveling to India on 23rd June. Do you know how soon after the oath ceremony i can apply for passport ? And has anyone applied for an urgent passport ? Any details will be very helpful.

thanks,
cb

Alias

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Here is a link on similar discussion:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/passport-applications-submitted-in-canada-processing-times-for-new-passport-t414228.0.html

You have to wait for 48 hrs after the oath ceremony before you can apply for the passport. Expedited passport processing takes 1 day, though it will cost extra.

Should not be a problem with the dates you have mentioned.

thanks,

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you actually have some good time for you to complete all the formalities.

1. if oath is on 15th, you can apply for passport on 17th. a trick here is constantly keep checking your application status in cic, the moment anything changes on that information, it means that passport canada has recieved your information and you are good to apply.

2. passport canada accepts applications only mon to fri

3. for urgent processing, you can get the passport within 24 hours, but, you have to apply at a passport canada office only (not post office-mail in etc)

4. you can recieve the passport on monday 20th,

5. you will have time to apply for a indian visa on arrival - its online

now the tricky part,

overall - you have sufficient time to get your canadian passport, however, you may not be left with enough time to get a indian visa.

here is what i did for a exactly - well almost - similar situation i was in.

i applied my passport on thursday, got it on monday morning - 10 am, and had a flight to catch to india at 1 PM on the same day - monday.

went to india on indian passport, after reaching india applied for an exit permit, came back on canadian passport showing the indian exit permit

the whole thing is very painful though - no one knows the process - so pretty much you have to do it on your own and guide the people on what they need to do:

references :

1. 3 month grace period to travel on indian passport - here http://www.cgitoronto.ca/content/surrender-certificate-0 - go to the end of the page
2. process to get indian exit permit here https://indianfrro.gov.in/frro/menufrro.jsp

hope this helps and btw - congratulations

cecapplied

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On oath day, you can also request to CIC officials to retain the PR card for some more time (30 days) by giving sufficient proofs of an immediate outbound journey. You will not be given a citizenship certificate on oath day until the PR card is mailed or submitted in person on an alternate day.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
ajithpl said:
On oath day, you can also request to CIC officials to retain the PR card for some more time (30 days) by giving sufficient proofs of an immediate outbound journey. You will not be given a citizenship certificate on oath day until the PR card is mailed or submitted in person on an alternate day.
Never heard of this before. CIC will let a Canadian citizen keep a PR card? To what end? The person is a citizen. That smells.

ciscobud

Jan 14, 2016
cecapplied said:
you actually have some good time for you to complete all the formalities.

1. if oath is on 15th, you can apply for passport on 17th. a trick here is constantly keep checking your application status in cic, the moment anything changes on that information, it means that passport canada has recieved your information and you are good to apply.

3. for urgent processing, you can get the passport within 24 hours, but, you have to apply at a passport canada office only (not post office-mail in etc)

4. you can recieve the passport on monday 20th,

5. you will have time to apply for a indian visa on arrival - its online

now the tricky part,

overall - you have sufficient time to get your canadian passport, however, you may not be left with enough time to get a indian visa.

here is what i did for a exactly - well almost - similar situation i was in.

i applied my passport on thursday, got it on monday morning - 10 am, and had a flight to catch to india at 1 PM on the same day - monday.

went to india on indian passport, after reaching india applied for an exit permit, came back on canadian passport showing the indian exit permit

the whole thing is very painful though - no one knows the process - so pretty much you have to do it on your own and guide the people on what they need to do:

references :

1. 3 month grace period to travel on indian passport - here go to the end of the page
2. process to get indian exit permit here

hope this helps and btw - congratulations

cecapplied

Thanks alot for the details. I'll let you know how it goes.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
cecapplied said:
3 locations are open on saturdays 9am-12pm

Brampton, Whitby and Pointe-Claire. Although they don't offer urgent pickup service.