+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath Timeline after test at Montreal Office

stefan80

Jul 23, 2014
cyrus71 said:
He said up to 6 months to receive oath invitation! What are they doing once file is approved? Is there any security or other checking? Setting a ceremony date should not take 6 months!
Hi Cyrus, as far as I found out, nothing s going to be done after judge review your file, then it will be in line for oath ceremony which might take to 3 months.

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called CIC today, i had my exam on June 10 and today they confirm that the judge apporved my application on July 16 but there is no schedule for Oath and he even mentioned that it will take 3 years for my case. I applied last October 2013, he said it will take till October 2016. Is he actually serious?

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
I've just got ATIP, which was generated in the first week of July, before I got the oath invitation but after the file was approved. My time line is: (Received: May 2011, In Process: Jun 2012, pre-test RQ: Aug 2012, Test: 26 March 2014, Oath to come on 7 August 2014)

There are some interesting points about the ATIP notes. There are three dates in the notes that may be considered as "approval" dates by someone who takes a quick look.

Early June: the date that the judge approved the case.

Mid June: the date that the approval of the exam was uploaded in the notes and the date of the "Grantor's decision". That day it was noted that no hearing was required.

Late June: the date that the file moved to the location "Cérémonie (CEN) Inventaire" which I take it to be the point when the file moved to be in queue for the oath. The oath invitation came one month after this last date.

My conclusion is that one has to be extremely precise when posing questions to the call centre agents. There are several different steps that occur after the test, and the judge approval may not be the last step before the oath invitation (for Montreal).

stefan80

Jul 23, 2014
montrealia said:
I've just got ATIP, which was generated in the first week of July, before I got the oath invitation but after the file was approved. My time line is: (Received: May 2011, In Process: Jun 2012, pre-test RQ: Aug 2012, Test: 26 March 2014, Oath to come on 7 August 2014)

There are some interesting points about the ATIP notes. There are three dates in the notes that may be considered as "approval" dates by someone who takes a quick look.

Early June: the date that the judge approved the case.

Mid June: the date that the approval of the exam was uploaded in the notes and the date of the "Grantor's decision". That day it was noted that no hearing was required.

Late June: the date that the file moved to the location "Cérémonie (CEN) Inventaire" which I take it to be the point when the file moved to be in queue for the oath. The oath invitation came one month after this last date.

My conclusion is that one has to be extremely precise when posing questions to the call centre agents. There are several different steps that occur after the test, and the judge approval may not be the last step before the oath invitation (for Montreal).
Thank you for sharing it with us :)

Donizinho

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
montrealia said:
I don't think they lie. I just think that there is a lot of room for misunderstanding. Plus, it must be really hard to have to look at the GCMS notes of a random file you've never seen before for just 30 seconds or less under the pressure of the person on the other side of the phone who is asking you questions about it.

In your case, if several agents confirmed that your file was approved, then I'm pretty sure this must be the case. Still, I think it wouldn't hurt for you to get GCMS notes via ATIP to see if everything is in order with your file. It's free and it will put you in a better position for asking the right questions to the call centre agents.
I've just ordered GCMS notes via ATIP as you said, montrealia.
Let's see what's gonna tell us when it arrives.

Thanks for your help! Let's keep fingers crossed and hope for the best! :)

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
Donizinho said:
I've just ordered GCMS notes via ATIP as you said, montrealia.
Let's see what's gonna tell us when it arrives.

Thanks for your help! Let's keep fingers crossed and hope for the best! :)
Boa sorte/Good luck! I very much hope you and the other people in this thread get their oath invitation soon!

liberté3001

Jun 30, 2014
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on November 13, 2012.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on November 13, 2012. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on January 21, 2013.

We sent you a notice on March 13, 2014 to appear and write the citizenship test on April 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

We sent you a notice on July 31, 2014 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on August 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

cyrus71

Jul 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
stefan80 said:
No , ecas just update when you will receive an oath invitation.
you re lucky, the agent has even told me that your file has been accepted by the judge.
As several persons told me here, that the CIC answers are not accurate, I called today, This time the agent told (after again 2 minutes waiting) that no decision has been taken by the judge.
So two different answer during same week!!!

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
After more than 38 months since applying (in May 2011) I'm finally Canadian!

The whole process took about 2 hours and 15 minutes, of which 1 hour and 45 minutes was just for document verification! 375 people were sworn (from 64 countries), so I'd say that the document verification was quite efficient, since so many people were there. Regarding documents, they checked COPR, pieces of ID (in my case, driver's license and health card), took away the PR card, and that's it. They didn't look at passports.

The ceremony was quite fast. First they gave some general info about the ceremony and paperwork (this was repeated in both languages). Then the judge discussed the responsibilities of Canadian citizens (she used both English and French, but said different things in each language, in the sense that both languages complemented each other). Then we did the oath in both languages (you can choose either, or do it in both). After that the certificates were distributed (that went pretty fast, it was very well organized, as we had assigned seats, and they distributed certificates in different areas of the room at the same time). Finally, we sang "O Canada" (a strange bilingual version that started in French and finished in English). After the ceremony the judge stayed around for pictures, that too was very organized, as those interested in taking pictures with the judge had to do a line.

All in all, I'd say that the ceremony was very efficient and I'd wish they had been this efficient while processing the file!

Good luck to all of you still waiting! I have you in my thoughts...

Donizinho

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
montrealia said:
Boa sorte/Good luck! I very much hope you and the other people in this thread get their oath invitation soon!
Thanks, montrealia! I hope so!! ;)

And congratulations for your oath today!
I'm happy for you finally became canadian! :)

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
Thank you Donizinho and hoping_canadian.

COPR= confirmation of permanent residence. It's a generic name for the form that is given to you the day you become a permanent resident. In my case it was IMM5292, but you may have gotten different forms, depending on when you landed.

colmont

May 28, 2014
Congratulations Montrealia!

I have one question for you, My health card is expired and I don´t have driver licence, so I only have my passport and PR card for the ceremony (Still no oath letter). Is it enough?

Thank you

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
colmont said:
Congratulations Montrealia!

I have one question for you, My health card is expired and I don´t have driver licence, so I only have my passport and PR card for the ceremony (Still no oath letter). Is it enough?

Thank you
Thanks colmont.

The invitation asks for two pieces of ID, one of which must have your photograph and signature on it. Your PR card and passports are listed in other items of the invitation, so I don't know if you can use them as IDs as well. In any case, the ID without picture can very well be your SIN card. But I don't know what you can use as the main ID... Maybe you should renew your health card? You'll need anyway!