+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath Timeline after test at Montreal Office

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
hi all,
I did my test at Montreal and got 20/20. (questions are very very simple - most online exams are enough).

and at the interview (all interview officers are really nice - 4 of them - smiling and joking to all applicants).
on my turn of interview, she asked basic questions and while she is checking my passport stamps (I had 11 travel in last 4 years) - out of 11 entries she was putting a TICK mark dates for only 3 entries in the online calculator we submitted)
she saw that I was in USA on work visa and then she stopped verifying stamps and started questions about how long was I there and why I moved here etc. she didn't check the online calculator days after. at the end, she said if your application is good we will let you know in 2-4 months OR we will contact you if we need more documents
now my questions are
1. do officers check all stamps for all applicants? or do they just check few stamps randomly to see if they are ok?
2. what are my post RQ chances? (because she didn't check all stamps - though all are in tact with CBSA records)
3. what are standard response times for Montreal - for RQ as well as Oath letter

thanks

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cic8888 said:
hi all,
I did my test at Montreal and got 20/20. (questions are very very simple - most online exams are enough).

and at the interview (all interview officers are really nice - 4 of them - smiling and joking to all applicants).
on my turn of interview, she asked basic questions and while she is checking my passport stamps (I had 11 travel in last 4 years) - out of 11 entries she was putting a TICK mark dates for only 3 entries in the online calculator we submitted)
she saw that I was in USA on work visa and then she stopped verifying stamps and started questions about how long was I there and why I moved here etc. she didn't check the online calculator days after. at the end, she said if your application is good we will let you know in 2-4 months OR we will contact you if we need more documents
now my questions are
1. do officers check all stamps for all applicants? or do they just check few stamps randomly to see if they are ok?
2. what are my post RQ chances? (because she didn't check all stamps - though all are in tact with CBSA records)
3. what are standard response times for Montreal - for RQ as well as Oath letter

thanks

Hi we when I did my exam and interview i had the same experience and they told me the same thing 2-4 months etc.

I think regarding your question is case to case basis, im my case I never went outside before i file my citizenship, but I received the RQ few months after submitting my applications.

i made a mistake in my residence calculation coz she minus 1 day (but she said still good coz I have around 1120 days.

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
cic8888 said:
hi all,

now my questions are

thanks
1. No, they don't. I've seen many reports of officers checking randomly and if all is good, they stop. In your case, this is slightly different, since the officer stopped after she found the USA work visa.

2. The main issue in this case is the USA work visa. Is it still valid? The trips are unlikely to cause you problems if they are in the CBSA records.

3. You can look in this thread. 2-4 months seems to work for most people without pre-test RQ to get oath invitation. Post-test RQ seem to come earlier but it's hard to tell. My advice for you is to wait 2 months after the test and then contact the call centre to see if they have any news.

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Thanks hoping Canadian and Montrealia.
no my USA visa expired in 2009. She didn't look at my USA visa but she asked me what period I worked (I said from 2007 to 2009) and moved to Canada after. since she didn't check my visa - I am worrying they may ask me to fill RQ
:(

and do you think - I believe the officer won't review your file prior to ask questions (they randomly pick files from pool in the table). during interview they take notes and verify stamps. after that what happens?
1. same file goes to the same officer for review (based on his/her notes on the file) and then goes to judge? OR
2. simply the same file goes along with notes to Judge for decision (approval or RQ)
3. Or the officer decides during our interview for RQ and judge will not see this file until we submit documents n RQ review?

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
cic8888 said:
Thanks hoping Canadian and Montrealia.
no my USA visa expired in 2009. She didn't look at my USA visa but she asked me what period I worked (I said from 2007 to 2009) and moved to Canada after. since she didn't check my visa - I am worrying they may ask me to fill RQ
:(

and do you think - I believe the officer won't review your file prior to ask questions (they randomly pick files from pool in the table). during interview they take notes and verify stamps. after that what happens?
1. same file goes to the same officer for review (based on his/her notes on the file) and then goes to judge? OR
2. simply the same file goes along with notes to Judge for decision (approval or RQ)
3. Or the officer decides during our interview for RQ and judge will not see this file until we submit documents n RQ review?

The officers do review files that got pre-test RQ before the interview, at least in some cases. (This was the case with my file.) But if you didn't get RQ before the test, then I don't know if they review or not.

In my case, the officer took notes during the interview and then mentioned that she had to prepare the file for the judge, so presumibly, the same officer prepared the file. However, the system has changed in August 1 (after my test), and now it is not necessary for a file to be approved by the judge. I imagine that files with no RQs will be approved by officers directly.

Both officers and judges may request additional documents by RQ.

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Thanks again Montrealia,
one last question
1. If I call CIC in a month time would I be able to get if it is approved or not?
2. what are the other possible ways like ATIP report. I saw in one post you mentioned that you can track from ATIP report. how long will it take? and requesting ATIP - would it trigger an alert or something?

thanks

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cic8888 said:
Thanks again Montrealia,
one last question
1. If I call CIC in a month time would I be able to get if it is approved or not?
2. what are the other possible ways like ATIP report. I saw in one post you mentioned that you can track from ATIP report. how long will it take? and requesting ATIP - would it trigger an alert or something?

thanks
Hi i had the same question few days ago hehehe

1. In my case I call after a month and they confirmed that the Judge approved my application and should wait for the oath
2. Yesterday i did the ATIP and pay 5 bucks but some people get the info after a month (i should not do it if i know that it will take a month ha ha ha) and it wont trigger your application it wont help you to speedup or whatever he he he

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
thanks Hoping Canadian
and CIC agents say things differently every time you call - I normally call 3-4 agents to confirm. but ATIP would tell everything crystal clear. the worst part is waiting for a REPLY from CIC after test (RQ or Oath).
we both are in montreal so I follow your time line and see if it helps. when was your test date?

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cic8888 said:
thanks Hoping Canadian
and CIC agents say things differently every time you call - I normally call 3-4 agents to confirm. but ATIP would tell everything crystal clear. the worst part is waiting for a REPLY from CIC after test (RQ or Oath).
we both are in montreal so I follow your time line and see if it helps. when was your test date?
welcome

i took mine Mid of June I called End of july and the agent told me that my file is approved July 17th, i didnt call after that I dont want to hear another story he he he. Im ok waiting as long as I passed the exam its enough for me. it will come.

Anyway my case is so fast I applied OCT 2013, processing January 2014 exam June so not bad

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
cic8888 said:
Thanks again Montrealia,
one last question

thanks
It is hard to say whether things will be known a month after the test. Call them, but be prepared for them not to tell you anything new. In my case, I know that my file took more than a month after the test just to reach the judge, who took more than a month to approve the file. But I had an RQ, so your case may go faster. Also routine files don't require judges to approve them (as of August 1), so your file may go much faster than all the previous files.

If you order ATIP, do the electronic files, and try to order under privacy act, so that it is free. ATIP will tell you the status of your file, but it has de disadvantage that it takes 30 days to reach you and it is often generated the day you order it. So, say that you order it today, you'll get it in one month, but the information will be from today. It won't trigger alert. In your case, I think you still need to wait because if you order ATIP today you won't get any useful information out of it.

Jul 14, 2014
Hi,

I did my test on July 21st in Montreal. I called CIC two days ago and the agent told me that I am now in ceremony queue.
Does anyone have experience regarding how long it takes after this to receive the oath letter?

abdel2010

Mar 27, 2014
Just wanted to share my timeline:

Application received 28th March 2013

Processing started 28th May 2013

File transferred to 18th March 2014
Monteal local office

Test 26th May 2014

Ceremony 02nd September 2014

For the ceremony date, I got the information through a CIC Call center agent today.
Ecas not yet updated.

Total time : a bit more than 17 months. No RQ :)

Good luck everyone!

New here

Aug 15, 2014
Helo everyone, I am new here, nice yo meet you all. I applied Nov. 2011, submitted RQ May 2013, passed exam April 2014, and was told today by CIC agent that I have to wait in line for an interview with a judge and that this decision was made in July. Interestingly, when I called 9 days ago (already in August), another agent told me that they are still working on the RQ and that no decision was yet taken. Anyone knows what should I believe or how long does it typically take to see the judge? Thanks.